Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times

Advertisements

Although I realize that identity theft is a real issue, the media blows every subject up out of proportion, so I don't doubt that this is story is any different. Of course I'm happy that the security breach was reported and that people are being told to be careful and watch their bank accounts diligently, but I've been in Target 3 times during the affected period in 2 states (Florida & Georgia) and I haven't experienced any problems, thank goodness.

I've been lucky, although a few years ago I got a call from Citibank because there was a suspicious charge on my Visa. I didn't know if the call was a scam, so I signed onto my account and there was a warning sign to contact the fraud department. Even then I called the customer service number on the back of my card. So I'm either too careful or a little paranoid, but it helps in today's world.

Regarding fake emails, I get emails from Amazon and PayPal all the time and ignore them. When I've ordered packages from Amazon, I only look up the tracking directly on the website and don't use a link, even if it looks real.

Canceling your card and getting a new one does not have any effect whatsoever on your score as long as you continue to pay your bills on time. One thing I suggest, even if people don't pay their bills online, is to set "alerts" which notify you by email or text (you choose the method) when your card is used by phone or online, that is, without being swiped. I also have alerts for purchased over $XX. I can't say if every bank offers this feature, however. In any case, it is always a good idea to spend 5or 10 minutes a week checking bank account balances and credit card transactions by phone or online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 06:32 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
For me the issue wasn't as much as it seems to others and when you hear it on tv. I caught it right away. It will however be a huge issue for people who are not like you and me...and that is the majority.

Everyone with a debit card can also be a bigger victim because they can empty your account in hours and nobody will check numerous times a day...

Due to my line of work, I login in more often since I pay rental amounts, pay for repairs, etc.which means during certains of the month I will be online more than other days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Although I realize that identity theft is a real issue, the media blows every subject up out of proportion, so I don't doubt that this is story is any different. Of course I'm happy that the security breach was reported and that people are being told to be careful and watch their bank accounts diligently, but I've been in Target 3 times during the affected period in 2 states (Florida & Georgia) and I haven't experienced any problems, thank goodness.

I've been lucky, although a few years ago I got a call from Citibank because there was a suspicious charge on my Visa. I didn't know if the call was a scam, so I signed onto my account and there was a warning sign to contact the fraud department. Even then I called the customer service number on the back of my card. So I'm either too careful or a little paranoid, but it helps in today's world.

Regarding fake emails, I get emails from Amazon and PayPal all the time and ignore them. When I've ordered packages from Amazon, I only look up the tracking directly on the website and don't use a link, even if it looks real.

Canceling your card and getting a new one does not have any effect whatsoever on your score as long as you continue to pay your bills on time. One thing I suggest, even if people don't pay their bills online, is to set "alerts" which notify you by email or text (you choose the method) when your card is used by phone or online, that is, without being swiped. I also have alerts for purchased over $XX. I can't say if every bank offers this feature, however. In any case, it is always a good idea to spend 5or 10 minutes a week checking bank account balances and credit card transactions by phone or online.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Everyone with a debit card can also be a bigger victim because they can empty your account in hours
So true! It's scary. In the past, I never went to the bank to get money and would just say "cash back" when I bought groceries, but I stopped using my debit card.

Many people don't realize that a debit card isn't the same as a credit card, even when it is used as a Visa checkcard, because it is tied directly to your bank account.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:42 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
I'm not really a Target shopper, but my wife is. After checking the transaction histories for all of of our cards, I found no transactions at Target for the last 60 days.

I've stopped there a few times on my way home from work, usually when I get a "on your way home can you stop and get X" text/call from my wife. But last time I paid cash, and the time before that couldn't find whatever it was she wanted.

I am anxious to see how this all hashes out. Retailers who accept credit cards have to comply with a set of standards set by the credit card companies to protect customer data. It's known as PCI Compliance.

Target Breach: 10 Facts - InformationWeek

I've a whole bunch of work during the past few years or so related to this kind of thing (implementation of new equipment and security protocols) to provide PCI Compliance for a client. I agree with some of the criticism in regards to the whole thing, as some of it is just silly and does little more than generate expenditures and headaches for people like myself in IT.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
I think the moral of story is people need to have a habit of checking their transaction more frequently so that they could catch legal or illegal scams. There are a lot of those who legally scam people using "opt out" practice (perfectly legal) on unsuspecting consumers.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:49 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
No wonder i pay cash in local stores.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:05 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
For me the issue wasn't as much as it seems to others and when you hear it on tv. I caught it right away. It will however be a huge issue for people who are not like you and me...and that is the majority.

Everyone with a debit card can also be a bigger victim because they can empty your account in hours and nobody will check numerous times a day...

Due to my line of work, I login in more often since I pay rental amounts, pay for repairs, etc.which means during certains of the month I will be online more than other days.
Actually I check my bank via phone about 2 times a day and also have an alert on my phone from the USAA app that says when anything over 200 is withdrawn. I dont keep a register, i just always know what's coming out and when and keep a mental note of what bills havent come out yet.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Actually I check my bank via phone about 2 times a day and also have an alert on my phone from the USAA app that says when anything over 200 is withdrawn. I dont keep a register, i just always know what's coming out and when and keep a mental note of what bills havent come out yet.
Whatever you feel good with ...

Old 12-24-2013, 10:50 AM

[url=http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/12/19/255558139/outdated-magnetic-strips-how-u-s-credit-card-security-lags]Outdated Magnetic Strips: How U.S. Credit Card Security Lags : All Tech Considered : NPR[/url]

Here is a story from NPR about why the US is more vulnerable to attack. Greed! Magnetic strips haven't been used in years in Canada and the U.K.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Outdated Magnetic Strips: How U.S. Credit Card Security Lags : All Tech Considered : NPR

Here is a story from NPR about why the US is more vulnerable to attack. Greed! Magnetic strips haven't been used in years in Canada and the U.K.

I know, I saw it on tv...but you have to look at it with the knowledge that in Europe not many people due credit cards due to all the fees they charge over there on bank accounts and especially on credit cards by many stores, etc.

Over here it is easier to use them and the rewards added to the cards make them more profitable for the client to use them.

I have an European credit card and hardly ever use it since many stores will charge additional fees and it doesn't help your credit score since that doesn't exist over there...at least not in Holland. The way they look at your background/credit worthiness is by your income and what you payments are/ obligations.

If I don't get any rewards and it doesn't help me to get a better rate than why should I use it and just for paying later is not worth the hassle to me over there...only for higher purchases.

With an debit card you can use it in all Countries that have joined the European Union which makes it a lot easier but on the other hand when the Euro came the inflation went up sky high.

Don't think the grass is greener over there since the scams over there are huge and skimming is happening for decades over there...

Many of these Nigerian scams we all have heard about are often originated in London, combined with Amsterdam and than going all around the world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay