Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:27 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Yes I want the US to pay for that so this person can stay behind bars and secure and a signal is given to others. Abroad he may get like a hotel treatment and perhaps being asked to do more of what he is good at if he is the one who did it since now other News is coming out and already 1 Mexican man and 1 Mexican woman were caught using fake cc related to the target compromise and perhaps my name is on one of the cards.

The last charge I dealt with was on the day my card was closed but it didn't show up until 4 days later...not even as a pending charge it showed up earlier but BoA credited it back immediately.

I hadn't been at target much during the time it may have happened and probably had 3 charges during that entire period since we went the day 2 days after Thanksgiving and my son used a cc that is linked to mine a few days later at a different target near USF. Mine was used on the B.B. downs in Wesley Chapel/New Tampa.

I don't trust Russian prisons other than some that I saw on TV in siberia where murders were kept and probably is one of the worse to be. In this case the Russians may want to use a smart IT guy like the 17 year old since all over the world Obama is criticized about his NSA spy program and not many are positive about that and care if anything happens to US citizens due to that.

In Germany 16 million emails and passwords were compromised over the last days so it is a global issue....next may be their cc that are compromised too, you never know and for decades in holland we knew about skimming at gas stations and ATM's, aside from pick pocketing which is huge in Amsterdam.
I guess Russians are smart if 17 y.o. teenager was able to brake major retailers systems Oops, I take it back - they've got the wrong guy. If Target wants better security (as well as other retailers) they should consider hiring Russians because they are smarter...

I read your post last night and couldn't help but laugh. I even read it to my husband. Our conclusion - you watched too many movies and TV.

*what about us gov conspiracy theory? maybe they have something to do with that?* (I didn't say that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
Just wanted to alert folks of an email that came through to my corporate account this morning.

I'm guessing someone is taking advantage of the situation and targeting anyone they can. Why I immediately thought it suspicious is I am not signed up for any Target emails nor do I have an account there or shopped there during the holidays.

Below is part of the email just so people can be aware. They are directing readers to another site under the guise of offering credit protection.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Dear Target Guest,
As you may have heard or read, Target learned in mid-December that criminals forced their way into our systems and took guest information, including debit and credit card data. Late last week, as part of our ongoing investigation, we learned that additional information, including name, mailing address, phone number or email address, was also taken. I am writing to make you aware that your name, mailing address, phone number or email address may have been taken during the intrusion.
I am truly sorry this incident occurred and sincerely regret any inconvenience it may cause you. Because we value you as a guest and your trust is important to us, Target is offering one year of free credit monitoring to all Target guests who shopped in U.S. stores, through Experian’s® ProtectMyID® product which includes identity theft insurance where available. To receive your unique activation code for this service, please go to creditmonitoring.target.com and register before April 23, 2014. Activation codes must be redeemed by April 30, 2014.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
My company sent out an email about these scams. Apparently the anti-spam filtering on our corporate email server stopped them, but they wanted to make everyone aware in case we got these things on our personal email accounts.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:24 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I guess Russians are smart if 17 y.o. teenager was able to brake major retailers systems Oops, I take it back - they've got the wrong guy. If Target wants better security (as well as other retailers) they should consider hiring Russians because they are smarter...

I read your post last night and couldn't help but laugh. I even read it to my husband. Our conclusion - you watched too many movies and TV.

*what about us gov conspiracy theory? maybe they have something to do with that?* (I didn't say that)
I'm glad you and your husband had a nice laugh on my behalf...I wonder which part was the funniest? The part that my card was abused multiple times and even my second credit card...or that all the money was refunded or what?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:37 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
Quote:
I'm glad you and your husband had a nice laugh on my behalf...I wonder which part was the funniest? The part that my card was abused multiple times and even my second credit card...or that all the money was refunded or what?

For what it's worth, one of the bigger fraud cases my company dealt with was perpetrated by the Russian mob. It sounds funny and "tv-movie-ish" but i kid you not.

I took a webinar on a speaker from the UK...a former fraudste, and it was so incredibly interesting. It's huge over there because the US is behind the times in the latest technology for credit card protection. As long as w remain the low hanging fruit, we will continue to be a target.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
As Target fallout continues, incidents of fraud emerge - CBS News

Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Quote:
Take it easy.
I feel your pain, I had an experience dealing with stollen debit card number (it's not the same as dealing with stollen credit card btw).
Last question, do you want all criminals who abused US law to be send over here and spend time in jail on our tax $$?

Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Take it easy.
I feel your pain, I had an experience dealing with stollen debit card number (it's not the same as dealing with stollen credit card btw).
Last question, do you want all criminals who abused US law to be send over here and spend time in jail on our tax $$?
That depends on the crime...!

If criminals end up in a Dutch prison that it is more like vacation with tv in their cell (beautiful painted cell and nothing compared to prison cells I have seen on tv (US) and other perks, and if they did a terrible thing than yes I want them to spend their sentence in a US prison.

Whoever did this crime that affected 110 million people, than yes please send them here since in some countries they will be considered "hero's" since they may not like the USA!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Wondering if your credit card number could be in the hands of a crook? Look for a charge for $9.84.

Got a charge for $9.84 on your credit card? Beware - CBS News

Old 01-27-2014, 03:51 PM

Good to know! Most of the charges on either of my credit card were low amounts. One as low as $ 3.96 pending at a hotel in PA but shortly thereafter on he same day an AT&T charge for $ 641.96 (I don't remember the exact penny amount) and all other charges were lower ones too.

Indeed, check for any amount because my bank told me they will first try a small amount and than go for the larger amount and credit card fraud is easier handled than debit card fraud so be careful with a debit card.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Wondering if your credit card number could be in the hands of a crook? Look for a charge for $9.84.

Got a charge for $9.84 on your credit card? Beware - CBS News
I posted on this earlier but it probably got buried quickly, lol.

I belong to several groups/org's for my job and I get alerts daily on info about breaches, cyber security, etc.. It's rather depressing. The Secret Service is apparently leading the broad investigation but all agencies are involved, it's so widespread. There is not one but many malwares identified in the past year and one of them is a cyber skimmer of sorts where it reads encrypted data as real text so beyond people's credit cards being compromised, their information is also captured (SS #'s, DOB, address, etc.) so the other fear is identity theft.

That last part is what really scares me. We're protected when our credit cards get compromised but I've heard it's literally a nightmare when you're identity is stolen. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay