Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

6 More Stores Attacked By Same Hack As Target: Firm

more bad news now they identified 6 more stores,,, culprits 17 yr old hackers living in Russia,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:56 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
That's it. I'm going to my bank tomorrow, canceling my debit card for a new one and not using it for any retail or online purchases, just atm.

AAA offers a reloadable Amex card and I'm going to look into that. If I know I want to order something online, all I have to do is load it for just over the cost and can do that at any AAA branch.

Thanks for posting that Tiny

Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
That's it. I'm going to my bank tomorrow, canceling my debit card for a new one and not using it for any retail or online purchases, just atm.

AAA offers a reloadable Amex card and I'm going to look into that. If I know I want to order something online, all I have to do is load it for just over the cost and can do that at any AAA branch.

Thanks for posting that Tiny
Why not using a credit card. I have to say thanks to Bank of America for handling the entire issue. The charge that I saw this morning for $ 641.99 was immediately credited back and again I was told not to be liable for any penny and a new card is on it's way.

AT&T also has been very good with crediting the fee I was charged and I'm only disappointed how Target handled it even though they are a victim as well.

A debit card can be emptied and you will lose whatever is on there and you can be responsible for a part of it while with a credit card you should be ins. like me for 100% of the charges.

I still shop with my cc at all places but just check my online accounts daily.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
6 More Stores Attacked By Same Hack As Target: Firm

more bad news now they identified 6 more stores,,, culprits 17 yr old hackers living in Russia,,,
Isn't it amazing how a 17 year old geek can do something like this and I have to say he must be very smart but used it in the wrong way and crime hardly ever pays off.

Hopefully he will be extradited to the USA and spend life in prison for what he did to 110 million people and hurt big companies...since that will send a good message to others never to do this again.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
I've worked so hard at paying off my credit cards that I don't want to be tempted when I'm trying to save for the move. I know, all I have to do is pay the balance in full at the end of each month...I want to make sure I'm disciplined enough before doing that

So in the mean time, I'm looking for other ways that keeps me on a cash only basis.

You'd think, since fighting fraud is my job, that I wouldn't have tempted fate so long using a debit card. I'm going to consider myself very lucky and start with a clean slate tomorrow!

Anyway, I'm glad you are getting good service and support from your bank. Going through that is pretty stressful but sounds like you've got great protection.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
I've worked so hard at paying off my credit cards that I don't want to be tempted when I'm trying to save for the move. I know, all I have to do is pay the balance in full at the end of each month...I want to make sure I'm disciplined enough before doing that

So in the mean time, I'm looking for other ways that keeps me on a cash only basis.

You'd think, since fighting fraud is my job, that I wouldn't have tempted fate so long using a debit card. I'm going to consider myself very lucky and start with a clean slate tomorrow!

Anyway, I'm glad you are getting good service and support from your bank. Going through that is pretty stressful but sounds like you've got great protection.
It is more the anger that someone is doing that to others and the time wasted on the phone and getting another unpaid bill while I have most set up for auto payment.

I'm glad to know that I have a good bank and even though over the years many people for good reason where not happy with them, I was treated overall very well and I'm happy with BoA.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
from what I understand, they don't even know who the other retailers are and its more than the USA. BUt I get jumped on when I say my credit card bank has folks in India with all my freakin life history- you really think your stuff is as secure overseas as here/ ?? really? This globalization folks..

Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Did you get an email from Target? What you need to know - Yahoo Finance

Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Isn't it amazing how a 17 year old geek can do something like this and I have to say he must be very smart but used it in the wrong way and crime hardly ever pays off.

Hopefully he will be extradited to the USA and spend life in prison for what he did to 110 million people and hurt big companies...since that will send a good message to others never to do this again.
you are kidding, right? Do you want us taxpayers to pay for his life in prison??? I don't.

By the way, my bank mailed me a new card, so my old one will be invalid after new one will be activted.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
you are kidding, right? Do you want us taxpayers to pay for his life in prison??? I don't.

By the way, my bank mailed me a new card, so my old one will be invalid after new one will be activted.
Yes I want the US to pay for that so this person can stay behind bars and secure and a signal is given to others. Abroad he may get like a hotel treatment and perhaps being asked to do more of what he is good at if he is the one who did it since now other News is coming out and already 1 Mexican man and 1 Mexican woman were caught using fake cc related to the target compromise and perhaps my name is on one of the cards.

The last charge I dealt with was on the day my card was closed but it didn't show up until 4 days later...not even as a pending charge it showed up earlier but BoA credited it back immediately.

I hadn't been at target much during the time it may have happened and probably had 3 charges during that entire period since we went the day 2 days after Thanksgiving and my son used a cc that is linked to mine a few days later at a different target near USF. Mine was used on the B.B. downs in Wesley Chapel/New Tampa.

I don't trust Russian prisons other than some that I saw on TV in siberia where murders were kept and probably is one of the worse to be. In this case the Russians may want to use a smart IT guy like the 17 year old since all over the world Obama is criticized about his NSA spy program and not many are positive about that and care if anything happens to US citizens due to that.

In Germany 16 million emails and passwords were compromised over the last days so it is a global issue....next may be their cc that are compromised too, you never know and for decades in holland we knew about skimming at gas stations and ATM's, aside from pick pocketing which is huge in Amsterdam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay