Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:32 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times

Advertisements

It seems right now that we are going to be affected by Irma!

I know some people never watch the news or weather forecast but it seems we better let everyone know this one can come to our area and at a minimum we all have to take our yard stuff, chairs etc inside!

Even small pebbles can cause major damage so better secure everything!

Don't take a risk. We have seen Texas disaster and the awful images.

Keep your family, friends and pets safe!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:20 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
My general take on hurricanes is any thing above a cat 2, I am leaving, having said that my wife is busting my chops about buying supplies, I went to a couple of cirlce k's they were cleaned out of water. I am going to have to hit publix or walmart at lunchtime.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:39 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Publix only had a few single bottles left as of early this morning.

i guess you have to be at the store when the water comes in to be lucky.

We happen to have tickets to fly out as a planned short business trip but not sure what to do. When can we return? Of course being able to have a ticket to leave might be golden but leaving might not be the best thing in other ways unless it will be above Cat 2 or Cat 3.

According to the builder our property was build to with stand Cat 3 but I'm not too sure. Not being in a flood zone is what some Texans experienced was no longer the case with what they went through.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:41 AM

15 posts, read 15,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
My general take on hurricanes is any thing above a cat 2, I am leaving, having said that my wife is busting my chops about buying supplies, I went to a couple of cirlce k's they were cleaned out of water. I am going to have to hit publix or walmart at lunchtime.
We noticed the same. I don't tpically get too nervous about hurricanes, but this one has my anxiety going through the roof. Having a 7 and 3 year old doesn't help. Same with 2 12yo cats and a 5 month old puppy.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 AM

274 posts, read 327,058 times
Start filling containers with water. Wash out milk jugs or large soda bottles and fill them. You are likely to experience extended power outages with a storm this big. Fill plastic tubs with water and freeze them. If you stuff the freezer full with such items it will keep things cold longer. More cold things packed in together. Just don't open the door! If you have a grill make sure you have propane or charcoal. You might have to cook it all up when it defrosts. Plastic ware! No water available for washing dishes. Everyone butters a bagel and all the knives are dirty. Wipes for cleaning. Papertowels and spray cleaner. LOTS of trash bags. Peanut butter of course!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:09 AM

126 posts, read 142,574 times
For what it is worth, this map shows the storm over tamp on Monday. Looks like a lot of rain. Don't know how accurate this is

https://www.windy.com/?2017-09-09-03,33.450,-94.065,6

Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
I just did the rounds at lunch, publix, win Dixie, sprouts. Stores are packed like black Friday, no water. Even the single serve refrigerators by the cashiers were empty.
I put a couple of Instacart orders see what happens, otherwise I did buy a couple of cases on Amazon Prime.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:34 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Filled up both vehicles with gas and extra gas to run two generators. I am not right on the coast. A couple miles inland.

My house is high on a mount as many of the homes are built here . It is the wind I am concerned about. I have metal shutters to put on the windows. House is built to withstand 130 mph winds. The roof lines in Florida are shaped like a pyramid to withstand strong winds. The homes built the last 10 years have a stricter code. The brick structures are now filled with cement and metal rods. Roofs tied down with metal rods.

It is the trailer parks in Florida that will most likely sustain more damage. But a tornado can do damage to any structure.

I am going to fill both my bathtubs with water and I have drinking water .

I went through Sandy and I was in a beach town 2 blocks from a river and 7 blocks from the ocean. I took no damage but the wind was incredible. 70% of that beach town was flooded.

I hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I hope it goes out to sea but at this time it looks like Florida will get hit.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:25 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
I have a Zephyrhills water cooler. It has a nearly full 5-gallon jug on top. I have three more unopened jugs. Also got two cases of bottled water at Winn-Dixie yesterday. I got plenty of food and other supplies as well.

I have the kevlar hurricane screens for my windows and sliders. I'll make sure we get those on ahead of time.

In terms of evacuation, the jury is still out on that one.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:50 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,389,863 times
According to Denis Phillips he likes the Eruo Model the latest was showing it towards the Tampa Bay area so I am watching the new models as yes my anxiety is well quite high

Please be safe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay