Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:02 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by futexan View Post
Let's define the term racism first & then we can argue about it...
RIGHT ON the mark, FuTexan! Define "racism" before it can be discussed -- much less accusatory labels applied -- as to what it entails. After all, as syndicated columnist Joseph Sobran once said -- it is hard to defend oneself against a charge of being guilty of something one is not even sure of what they are being accused of! LOL

Well, heck, here is an excerpt from the column itself, followed by the main link to it.

If I oppose state racial favoritism, I’m a “racist.” If I laugh at feminism, I’m “sexist.” If I consider homosexuality a perversion, I’m a “homophobe.” And of course I’m “ignorant” and “reactionary.”

All these charges assume that I accept the standards they imply, when the whole point is that I don’t accept them — or I wouldn’t be arguing against them. I’m supposed to shrivel up (and shut up) when some fool calls me names, and meaningless names at that? In essence, such people are like members of a sect who abuse others in a sectarian vocabulary that means nothing to nonmembers. They heap furious threats of damnation on people who don’t believe in their hell.

Sobran Column -- Hate Mail

As Sobran latently questions, what does "racism" even mean? It seems to me, one of those terms straight out of Orwell's 1984, or Lewis Carrolls, "Through the Looking Glass" where, (was it Humpty Dumpty?) sat on the wall and said "a word means exactly what, no more, no less, than what I MEAN it to mean..."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 11:36 AM

198 posts, read 204,931 times
I believe we all agree that racism = prejudice,preoccupation,unfairness,injustice.

Racism is when between a white & a black surgeon,with exactly the same degrees,qualifications,experience & success rate in surgeries,u choose the white guy,even if u don't like his personality,even if he is more expensive...

Or,as a white employer,between 2 candidates with the exact same C.V,to choose the white guy,even if u don't like his personality,even if he asks more or delivers less...

It is not racist to befriend & live in the same neighborhood with people of your race,your ethnic group,your faith...
That is human nature.

My understanding,as a foreigner,is that white racism in practice is extint since 1965...

That was 40 years ago,ancient history for a normal person.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I believe we all agree that racism = prejudice,preoccupation,unfairness,injustice.

Racism is when between a white & a black surgeon,with exactly the same degrees,qualifications,experience & success rate in surgeries,u choose the white guy,even if u don't like his personality,even if he is more expensive...

Or,as a white employer,between 2 candidates with the exact same C.V,to choose the white guy,even if u don't like his personality,even if he asks more or delivers less...

It is not racist to befriend & live in the same neighborhood with people of your race,your ethnic group,your faith...
That is human nature.

My understanding,as a foreigner,is that white racism in practice is extint since 1965...

That was 40 years ago,ancient history for a normal person.
Just a few notes in passing here....starting off by saying my own "definition" is much more limited even than yours, FT.

Personally, the term "racism" or "racist" is not even in my vocubulary in the sense of applying it to someone else in the realm of how they might feel about others.

I guess if I HAD to TRY and define the indefinable, I would say it would mean a person who hated people of another race for no other reason and by that they ARE of a different race. It is probably fair to say that Nazi's (past and neo) are of that ilk.

The "dictionary" definition goes something along the lines of "a belief in the inherent superiority of one race over another"

Fair enough, I guess. BUT...if a person notices the obvious...such as that, say, blacks tend to excel in certain sports relative to whites or Asians (basketball, for instance), is that "racist"? It is, after all, a "superiority" of sorts...and it DOES acknowlege that SOMTHING other than random chance is at work...

So, by extention, is it fair to say I am a "racist"? This totally baffles me...

I will leave it at that for now...but want to say as well that, as you note, FT...it is only NATURAL to want to be with your own kin and kind. Why in the HELL, I often wonder, is that simple basic graviation, something that is, today, considered the characteristic of a "bigot" or "racist"?

We all know different...

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-11-2008 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Without ...highjacking the thread,every race or ethnic group has its own history.

Even affection or antipathy is not racism.

We like some celebrities ,we loathe other celebrities....

Racism is exactly this " I don't take into consideration your degrees,your experience,your documented success,I don't hire u because you are black/this/that ".

However,I have the right to like u or dislike u,without feeling guilty or having to do some explainin' about it to anyone...

Old 05-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Without ...highjacking the thread,every race or ethnic group has its own history.

Even affection or antipathy is not racism.

We like some celebrities ,we loathe other celebrities....

Racism is exactly this " I don't take into consideration your degrees,your experience,your documented success,I don't hire u because you are black/this/that ".

However,I have the right to like u or dislike u,without feeling guilty or having to do some explainin' about it to anyone...
Yep...that is a pretty decent counterpoint to the whole silly notion of "racism" as "defined" in the politically correct world today. And you know? Most people agree. We are just not supposed to say, nor notice, the obvious. Whew...what a joke. Was it Barabas who once said "That the truth should be silent, I had almost forgot."...?

Funny thing is, from a personal persepctive -- not "ha-ha" funny, but truly lamentable and sad-- is that one of my best friends is a black man and he and I have talked about this before!

For instance, he and I are actually writing a book together, and drink lots of beer together sometime. BUT...there are times and places that? HE is even more "segregationist" than I AM! LOL

That is to say, at time, HE wants to be with other black people and enjoy the culture on Saturday night, perhaps, to pluck something out of the air? HE might want to go to "Fat Ass Charlies Blues and BBQ"...and I might want to go to "Fat Ass Bubba's Country and BBQ" LOL

And we both laugh about our experiences the next day. Let people be free, is all I say....

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-11-2008 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 01:18 PM

As a foreigner who follows American politics ,I believe that racism,generated from any side is futile.

It is practically impossible to ...re-enslave 30 m blacks or to supress 5 m homosexuals.

The size & the power of each race or social group is such that no racist policy can realitically be implementend.

On the other hand,tastes & preferences are personal choices & each has his/her own...

On the subject,a black guy in Victoria,or in ...Everywheria,TX or USA will face 0 racist actions against him. If there is any attempt of racism against him,he will go to any court & win...

Old 05-11-2008, 07:56 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,520 times
Being that there are a lot of "ism"s , it's nice that TexasReb and futexan can actually have a civil conversation without all of the name calling.
Here are my two cents worth.
The "black-white" issue is more of a Black issue these days. Being (1/4 native 1/4 mexican 1/2 black) Black here in the South is noticably different than being Black in the suburbs of Southern California. The deficient culture that's been inculcated into Black society (here) is more of a hinderence than any racist could impose on Blacks.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:33 PM

114 posts, read 510,721 times
you should move to galveston. beautiful houses, large magnolias, the beach, and a large black population. utmb, galveston college, and texas a&m galveston are all on the island.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:13 PM

It should be interesting to hear from uglyblackjohn his personal experiences with types & kinds or racism or " racism "...

Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 18,003 times
First post here, hi! I saw the thread and thought I'd join and post up.

I'm 5th generation Texan, born and raised here and have lived in every portion of the state.

I grew up in Victoria, living there from 1971 thru 1984. It is where I went to school and graduated both Highschool and Junior College. In all honesty, it is where I still consider "home" even though I've not lived there in almost a quarter century.

It is an excellent place to live and to raise a family. I'd live there today if I could make a living but Victoria isn't exactly a technological center (I'm in I.T.).

Anyways, as I said I have a perspective of living and growing up there in the 70's and 80's. I have allways gone back throughout the year as I have family there and in Corpus. I am white so perhaps not the best person to know for sure about racism in the city but I can tell you that it was not apparent to me and it isn't pervasive as it would be (or perhaps I should say was, since I've not lived there) in say Vidor.

The schools are not segregated - especially so since the high schools were collapsed together into one system a few years ago (no longer 2 seperate 5A schools). Prior to that there definitely would have been more blacks at Stroman that at VHS, but certainly there were a large number of blacks at VHS as well.

I had black and hispanic friends growing up - both in the nieghborhood (typical middle class), school, church, and work.

Victorians are like most South Texans = good people and I'm both happy and proud to have grown up there. Often times I wish I were raising my boys there instead of the big city (D/FW metromess).

Earl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas