Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:36 PM

17 posts, read 107,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintsureboutnothin View Post
The hispanic and black children/teens are all almost one in the same. Listen to the same music and whatnot.
i think that was a racial statement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 03:00 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Maybe I should just shut up and keep quiet --and NO disrespect intended toward the OP and topic -- but I just get sick and tired of "racism" or some theme or variation of it coming up constantly. More so though, I get tired of the self-righteous attitudes of some of those who reply to the said topics (hastening again to add that I am NOT referring to anyone here, necessarily).

Heck, "racism" doesn't even have a precise definition. It can mean anything in the world. Just like "jerk" can be so considered.

Ok..I quit for now!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 AM

22 posts, read 111,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oh, my, I soooooooo don't miss that about South Texas! Every time the weather conditions pop up on my computer and I see the low, low humidity, I get a BIG smile on my face, LOL. Today when I got up, the humidity was 19%. I also don't miss the mosquitos and those ugly beetle-looking bugs that would throw themselves at your front door and windows at night. Eeeeewww
Now where are you Teatime, so I can come and visit you? Sit on your front porch swing and drink some tea or cofee.....without melting )

Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 AM

22 posts, read 111,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgv17_956 View Post
i think that was a racial statement!
So can you elaborate as to why you feel that is a racial statement? Are you offended by the fact that hispanic children were put in the same boat as black children?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
I grew up in Victoria up until I moved out almost 2 years when I was 20. There isn't much racism involved in the city among the peers. If anything, the media will bring it out. The newspapers and newscenter 25 will play hush hush if anything criminal might happen for Caucasian individuals, but really rip apart stories involving minorities. One case I can remember is when a few minorities in my same grade back in high school got much attention in the newspaper for marijuana possession with articles being written and what not, whereas the same case happened with some white students who were the same age, and all that info concerning them was kept top secret. If there's something that isn't diverse it's definitely the media. It lacks a bunch, is also one dimensional, and racist. The people working for those companies are a joke. A few articles are taken from other newspapers and the columnists who work for the advocate are about as bad as they come.

and regarding the weather: it sucks big time. i don't know how people can stand that humidity. i live in san antonio now, and also having lived in san marcos, even though i'm only 2 hours away there is a significant change in weather. I've never experienced worse humidity than Victoria. When it starts really heating up, and the rain that comes along with it, you'll be eaten alive by mosquitoes. It unbearable. It's almost impossible to go out and get some exercise.

The crime is also something that needs to be handled. For one, I don't think there's as many police officers on duty as needed. That explains the high crime rate in that city. There's not a strong enough police presence there.

I had an awesome childhood, but around the age of 19, I knew I had to move out of that town. I would never move back.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
gosh teatime, it didnt even dawn on me the BIG difference between the bugs in South Texas and here in Central Texas until you posted this. i just realized that the big basket on my patio full of 5 different brands of skeeter repellent have NOT been even used since i moved here last October. now i remember how i would have to slather myself with them every single time i went to walk the dogs or spend any time outside!!!! and i would STILL get bit. i was always "itchy". boy i cant believe that i didnt even notice this until now!
and yeah, those beetle lookin bugs-i remember i couldnt even keep doors open for fresh air...........
just a few of a very very long list of reasons why i am thankful to have left that area............

Quote:
Oh, my, I soooooooo don't miss that about South Texas! Every time the weather conditions pop up on my computer and I see the low, low humidity, I get a BIG smile on my face, LOL. Today when I got up, the humidity was 19%. I also don't miss the mosquitos and those ugly beetle-looking bugs that would throw themselves at your front door and windows at night. Eeeeewww

Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aintsureboutnothin View Post
Now where are you Teatime, so I can come and visit you? Sit on your front porch swing and drink some tea or cofee.....without melting )
I live in Abilene, aintsure. You're welcome anytime! I don't have a porch swing but I'm sure you wouldn't mind a lawn chair on the porch, LOL.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:58 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
gosh teatime, it didnt even dawn on me the BIG difference between the bugs in South Texas and here in Central Texas until you posted this. i just realized that the big basket on my patio full of 5 different brands of skeeter repellent have NOT been even used since i moved here last October. now i remember how i would have to slather myself with them every single time i went to walk the dogs or spend any time outside!!!! and i would STILL get bit. i was always "itchy". boy i cant believe that i didnt even notice this until now!
and yeah, those beetle lookin bugs-i remember i couldnt even keep doors open for fresh air...........
just a few of a very very long list of reasons why i am thankful to have left that area............
Right?! I'll tell you, I didn't even spend much time or energy on outdoor furniture and stuff in South Texas because it was plain miserable outside!

I'm LOVING it here and have had such fun with my landscaping and prettying up the patio and deck! The dogs and I love to sit outside at night, chatting with neighbors and just enjoying the evenings! I rarely have to use any sort of insect repellant -- only when the Gulf Coast sends humidity up our way. Luckily, that isn't too often!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
yep! i know, aint it great?? i love it up here!

Quote:
Right?! I'll tell you, I didn't even spend much time or energy on outdoor furniture and stuff in South Texas because it was plain miserable outside!

I'm LOVING it here and have had such fun with my landscaping and prettying up the patio and deck! The dogs and I love to sit outside at night, chatting with neighbors and just enjoying the evenings! I rarely have to use any sort of insect repellant -- only when the Gulf Coast sends humidity up our way. Luckily, that isn't too often!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 AM

198 posts, read 204,990 times
Let's define the term racism first & then we can argue about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas