Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 04:24 PM

420 posts, read 705,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
how are these debatable? Houston has some of the most visited parks in the country.
No, New York, Chicago, and San Francisco have some of the most visited city parks in the country. Where did you pull Houston from? The most visited park in Texas is Zilker Park, which is Austin. Dallas has more park space per capita than Houston, including White Rock Lake which is a regionally recognized crown jewel.

Quote:
Houston has the most extensive and prestigious collections of art, most visited museums.
Houston has the most extensive art collections, yes. Prestigious is arguable. The Kimball in Fort Worth, as small as it is, is more renown and praised than anything in Houston or Dallas. Quantity doesn't always equal better.

Quote:
theater district with the second most seats in the country, behind only NYC.
Again, this is where a lot of Houstonians fall into a trap of thinking more always equals better. How does "second most seats," which gets repeated often on this forum, equal better? There's only one Broadway, and it's in New York. Houston gets mostly the same touring shows as Dallas and Dallas also has fantastic venues. Dallas has great local community theater and I'm sure Houston does, too. Theater is a wash.

Quote:
world renown food scene.
Again, no. New York City is the only city in this country that has a world renown food scene. Nobody in Europe or South America or Asia gives a crap or has probably even heard about Houston's food scene. Houston has a great food scene for the U.S. and that's about it. It is larger than Dallas's, like most things due to having a bigger population. That doesn't make it better. I've already discussed my opinion on which food categories each city does better than the other in my previous post, so I won't rehash that.

Quote:
As alrea more expensive/exclusive neighborhoods.
This is false. The most expensive neighborhood in Dallas is Preston Hollow and is more expensive than any neighborhood in Houston. Zip Code 75205 in Dallas has an average home value of $1,126,489. Houston's most expensive zip code is 77024. The average home value there is $1,089,468.

America's Most Expensive ZIP Codes - Forbes

Dallas is where the majority of the most expensive homes for sale in Texas are. Dallas dominates this list.

Most Expensive Homes in Texas - Photos and Prices - Zillow

Quote:
and for the most part newer sports/entertainment venues.
Cowboys Stadium is still the newest and most impressive in the NFL.

Globe Life Park is older but is bigger than Minute Maid Park and is ranked higher.

Ranking the Best and Worst MLB Ballparks in 2014 | AthlonSports.com

Toyota Center might have a slight advantage over the American Airlines Center due to recent updates with their scoreboard and such. I haven't been there since. The ACC itself with victory plaza was more expensive to build, seats more people, and is more aesthetically pleasing overall than the Toyota Center.

And BTW, where does Houston's professional hockey team play?

The majority of this stuff is subjective opinion that comes down to personal preference. The city of Houston is bigger than the city of Dallas. It has a larger population. It's going to usually have more of whatever you're comparing. DFW is bigger than Houston Metro. It will usually have more in most instances. More doesn't equal better. Quantity doesn't represent quality. 9 times out of 10 this stuff you're comparing is opinion.

Last edited by RayStokes; 08-26-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
How does any of that determine superiority?

1. Most visited parks. How do you even measure attendance? If you base it on apps where you check in, some Austin parks do better than both Dallas & Houston. So I guess Austin is hands down better than both. It could also just mean that app is more popular in x city or x city is younger.
  2. Theater district with second most seats? What does that even mean? How many of those seats are being sat on? Does that include the seats on the movie theaters and parks inside the Houston's theater district?
  3. More Exepnsive/Exclusive neighborhoods? What neighborhoods are they comparing? Again, not all cities can be measured with the same measuring stick. The size of neighborhoods in both cities is important as well. How big are they, and how expensive are they?
  4. Newer Sports Venues. Why does this even matter. Chicago's Wrigley Field was built in 1914 compared to the Rangers in 1994, and the Astros in 2000. That doesn't make both Texas cities hands down better than Chicago. In my opinion that just gives Chicago more culture than our stadiums.
+1.......You know sometimes I don't even invest the energy to go back and forth with the Houstonians...They think Houston wins everything....and it does look good on paper...but that's it.
Nothing more nothing less. They brag about seats in a theatre????...who pays attention to crap like this??.....only Houstonians.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
If you honestly believe, then again, I feel sorry for you.

Leaps and bounds really? The two are practically the same.

Too many minorities? Who's said that? Dallas has not made a living off of not being Houston. Where have you seen that?
Yes Dallas is the Texas city that doesn't get the hurricanes, doesn't have the refineries, doesn't have the urban jungle, and has a hill or two lol

Dallas markets itself in much the same way most suburbs would and most suburbs claim life in their city is better than the anchor city itself. In other words they are not like that big city....

I agree there are many similarities but that is because we are in the same state after all so the same people build the same roads and highways and of course when any business expands the "other" city is the logical choice.

Houston is the original metropolis in the state, Dallas is the urban suburban version of Houston which makes Houston leaps and bounds above DFW. Plus the best way to turn a narrative on its head is to take an extreme position and make the other guys fight to claim equality which is what the Dallas posters have been doing for a long time now, so turn about is fair play, right?!

Old 08-26-2014, 04:32 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
This is false. The most expensive neighborhood in Dallas is Preston Hollow and is more expensive than any neighborhood in Houston. Zip Code 75205 in Dallas has an average home value of $1,126,489. Houston's most expensive zip code is 77024. The average home value there is $1,089,468.

Dallas is where the majority of the most expensive homes for sale in Texas are. Dallas dominates this list.

Globe Life Park is older but is bigger than Minute Maid Park and is ranked higher.

Toyota Center might have a slight advantage over the American Airlines Center due to recent updates with their scoreboard and such. I haven't been there since. The ACC itself with victory plaza was more expensive to build, seats more people, and is more aesthetically pleasing overall than the Toyota Center.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:42 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
American Airlines Center is Way better than Toyota center.
According to whom? And what about it is better? They are both very nice. But Toyota Center is newer.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:50 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Lol. Dallasites
spitting false statements as fact.. Typical. Piney Point Village is the richest place in Texas.

Texas locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Houston has more million dollar homes for sale than DFW..

Cities with the most million-dollar homes - CNNMoney

NRG stadium is getting a renovation with LED lighting, solar panels, and electric vehicle charging stations. Not to mention has a larger screen than AT&T.
Toyota Center is newer.
BBVA is newer and much nicer.
Minute Maid is newer and nicer.
Cynthia Woods Pavilion is newer and loads nicer.

You were saying?? Winner winner chicken dinner right here...

Old 08-26-2014, 04:52 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
No, New York, Chicago, and San Francisco have some of the most visited city parks in the country. Where did you pull Houston from? The most visited park in Texas is Zilker Park, which is Austin. Dallas has more park space per capita than Houston, including White Rock Lake which is a regionally recognized crown jewel.

Houston has the most extensive art collections, yes. Prestigious is arguable. The Kimball in Fort Worth, as small as it is, is more renown and praised than anything in Houston or Dallas. Quantity doesn't always equal better.

Again, this is where a lot of Houstonians fall into a trap of thinking more always equals better. How does "second most seats," which gets repeated often on this forum, equal better? There's only one Broadway, and it's in New York. Houston gets mostly the same touring shows as Dallas and Dallas also has fantastic venues. Dallas has great local community theater and I'm sure Houston does, too. Theater is a wash.

Again, no. New York City is the only city in this country that has a world renown food scene. Nobody in Europe or South America or Asia gives a crap or has probably even heard about Houston's food scene. Houston has a great food scene for the U.S. and that's about it. It is larger than Dallas's, like most things due to having a bigger population. That doesn't make it better. I've already discussed my opinion on which food categories each city does better than the other in my previous post, so I won't rehash that.

The majority of this stuff is subjective opinion that comes down to personal preference. The city of Houston is bigger than the city of Dallas. It has a larger population. It's going to usually have more of whatever you're comparing. DFW is bigger than Houston Metro. It will usually have more in most instances. More doesn't equal better. Quantity doesn't represent quality. 9 times out of 10 this stuff you're comparing is opinion.
That list is hilarious. I've been to summer games at GlobeLife aka the SweatPark at Arlington. Minute Maid Park is a MUCH better facility, in a MUCH better location. It's quite funny to me that you give GlobeLife the advantage due in some part to its size and then a couple of paragraphs down speak about quantity not equaling quality. Minute Maid vs. Globe Life is a perfect example of that.

That list is using fan support as a part of the criteria used to rank the stadiums. Well duh, the Astros have sucked more than the Rangers lately.

If Houston had a hockey team it would play in Toyota Center. Toyota Center already exists. So what's your point?

I agree that AAC has a better exterior design, but the game is watched inside and they are both amazing facilities from that standpoint. It is also the only major stadium that's actually in Dallas, which makes a huge difference. A true sports fan in Houston can live in a place like the Lofts at the Ballpark and be a stone's throw away from MLB, MLS, and the NBA.

Nothing in DFW can compare to that. If you want to watch soccer, go 20 miles north to Frisco. If you want to catch a football or baseball game - go 20 miles west. Not the same scene.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:30 PM

420 posts, read 705,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Lol. Dallasites
spitting false statements as fact.. Typical. Piney Point Village is the richest place in Texas.

Texas locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL. Typical Houstonian. You're moving your goal posts. First of all, you claimed Houston had the most expensive neighborhoods. This link lists incomes, nothing to do with home prices. Also, your list only shows counties and municipalities. Piney Point is its own municipality. Preston Hollow is not and is averaged in with the rest of Dallas. Your "list" is completely meaningless and useless in this comparison.

Quote:
And Houston has more million dollar homes for sale than DFW..

Cities with the most million-dollar homes - CNNMoney
Says an article over 1 year old. I actually posted a link to current homes on the market, not an article about homes for sale in June of 2013. And, again, you're moving goalposts. You said "most expensive/exclusive," not "most $1 million homes." $1 million is a lot of money, but not exactly exclusive and unattainable for a house in 2014. There are tons of them in several neighborhoods in both cities. I'm having a hard time understanding if you're being intentionally dishonest or if you're not smart enough to understand the differences between what you're trying to argue and what you're linking as proof.

Quote:
NRG stadium is getting a renovation with LED lighting, solar panels, and electric vehicle charging stations. Not to mention has a larger screen than AT&T.
And Cowboys Stadium will still be newer, have better bones/structure, more seating, look more modern, and be talked about more around the NFL as evidenced by hosting more important non-NFL events such as one of the premiere college bowl and the first ever NCAA Football Playoff National Championship. And haven't Houstonians spent the past 5 years making fun of Jerry Jones's giant screen? Now you want to copy him. Typical.

Quote:
Toyota Center is newer.
Which is all it is, by two meaningless years (2003 compared to 2001). Most people like the AAC more. It is more aesthetically pleasing, bigger, and Toyota Center has nothing like Victory Plaza.

Quote:
BBVA is newer and much nicer.
Agreed. Congrats. You're one for three so far.

Quote:
Minute Maid is newer and nicer.
It's newer and more sterile. Globe Life feels like a classic, historic ballpark with more in common with the greats such as Fenway and Wrigley. Globe Life has been praised by MLB commentators and opposing visitors while Minute Maid is just another park. And baseball shouldn't be played inside.

Quote:
Cynthia Woods Pavilion is newer and loads nicer.
This is not even a sports arena, so I'm not sure why you're discussing it. And it's essentially a cloned rip off of the Gexa Energy Center. But congrats on it being newer, I guess.

Quote:
You were saying?? Winner winner chicken dinner right here...
Yes, I was saying you're full of crap.

Last edited by RayStokes; 08-26-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 05:33 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Current Zillow MLS listings $1M+:

Houston Metro: 647

Houston-461
The Woodlands-43
Bellaire-34
West University Place-34
Sugar Land-29
Bunker Hill Village-24
Piney Point-21
Cinco Ranch-1

Dallas Metro: 837 (not including Fort Worth's 49)

Dallas-341
University Park-82
Highland Park-70
Southlake-57
Frisco-49
Plano-44
Colleyville-34
Westlake-28
Flower Mound-27
Irving-16
McKinney-14
Keller-12
Coppell-5
Celina-4
Lewisville-4
Highland Village-3
Prosper-3
Allen-2
Trophy Club-2
Garland-1
Grapevine-1
Richardson-1
The Colony-1

However, if only comparing Houston vs Dallas proper:

Houston (2,195,914 people): 461
Dallas (1,257,676): 341

Divide Dallas' population into Houston's and multiply that percentage by the city of Houston's homes listed over $1M and you get 264.

∴ on a level playing field, the city of Dallas should have 264 homes listed over $1M.

For a city with 938,238 more residents than the city of Dallas...Houston's current MLS listings over $1M is nothing to run home about.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:47 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Current Zillow MLS listings $1M+:

Houston Metro: 647

Houston-461
The Woodlands-43
Bellaire-34
West University Place-34
Sugar Land-29
Bunker Hill Village-24
Piney Point-21
Cinco Ranch-1

Dallas Metro: 837 (not including Fort Worth's 49)

Dallas-341
University Park-82
Highland Park-70
Southlake-57
Frisco-49
Plano-44
Colleyville-34
Westlake-28
Flower Mound-27
Irving-16
McKinney-14
Keller-12
Coppell-5
Celina-4
Lewisville-4
Highland Village-3
Prosper-3
Allen-2
Trophy Club-2
Garland-1
Grapevine-1
Richardson-1
The Colony-1

However, if only comparing Houston vs Dallas proper:

Houston (2,195,914 people): 461
Dallas (1,257,676): 341

Divide Dallas' population into Houston's and multiply that percentage by the city of Houston's homes listed over $1M and you get 264.

∴ on a level playing field, the city of Dallas should have 264 homes listed over $1M.

For a city with 938,238 more residents than the city of Dallas...Houston's current MLS listings over $1M is nothing to run home about.
Excellent facts.
As an outsider, when looking at both cities, you kind of pick this up. DFW feels more upscale and simply has a better QOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas