Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times

Advertisements

I doubt any of you actually attend a Dynamo game. Sorry that’s one ugly stadium. I am sticking with my assessment. Minute Maid Park is beautiful on the inside.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Bro, that's kdogg. He dislikes anything Houston.
I don't dislike Houston...You know that stadium is kind of ugly. Stop trying train your eye to like that monstrosity. At least it doesn't look as bad as Texas Stadium did. I use to cringe every time I looked at that stadium. The Cowboys left the cotton bowl for this. I personally celebrated when they demolished Texas Stadium. Wish I was there to see it get demolished.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:54 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Ok... so...

DOWNTOWN DALLAS:

Pros:
Other than the skyline, I do have to say Downtown Dallas was more vibrant than I thought at night... although at the time there was the State Fair Classic and Arkansas was playing A&M.... AND there was a party at the Convention Center, so that may have added to the vibrancy that the area usually gets.
I saw a freestyle artist in West End just workin' on some pieces with techno in the back ground, and he used fire on his paints. Little hard to discribe, but it was awesome. If I wasn't broke from the Fair, I would have got one em. What that shows me is just some sense of culture and wanting to do something different. You can't have enough of that.
I also like the new Omni Convention Center hotel. It's well needed and long overdue.
Of course, access to DART Rail is just picture perfect. It's one of the few models of Dallas I wish Fort Worth would follow. It's been almost a full year and I'm STILL pissed about that .
I don't need to mention the great mixture of architecture that would be the envy of many major cities in this country.
And walking around downtown at night didn't give me that feeling of 'I'm gonna die' panic. You can also tell that Dallas is at least trying to get better in the core, unlike a certain city-burb that has no real downtown and STILL is the largest city in America no real transportation...

Cons:
The homelessness is atrocious. I really feel for those people, knowing that for some it's hard. Some just had horrible luck and ended up in a place where they never wanted to be. But seriously, there has to be some sort of help for these people.
The people are.... different. Seriously, it seems the further east you go (even in the Metroplex), people change. A lot of the dudes I passed were shady as hell. And no this wasn't just because I was there at night, it happened when I went there in the daytime as well. 3 random dudes just asked if they could use my phone. Well, not really ASK, just say something like, 'hey, let me use yo phone'. Just don't trust that. And even when I went to Dealy Plaza that night, someone just approached me and all of a sudden started talkin' about the site, the conspiracy, then PV, TSU, U of H and all.... then after all that, he basically begged for 'donation' and (remember, I'm broke) when I tell him I can't help him out, he cops an attitude.
And speaking of Dealy Plaza, I swear you just get a chill down your spine standing there and reflecting. That's not really a pro or con, just a basic fact.
There's a liquor store with barbed wire fencing right next to the Channel 4 studio.... enough said.
And as we all know, Downtown Dallas is about 20% pedestrian friendly. But again, they're trying.

DOWNTOWN HOUSTON:

Pros:
Houston is much better at street level. Not perfect by any means, no, but you can tell H-town has tried a hell of a lot more than Dallas in the past decade.
The Historic District (like the West End in Dallas or Sundance Square in FW) is lovely. Kind of reminds me of New Orleans.... if it had 900 footers in the background. It has Market Square, which is a park with a dog area, fountains, artwork, a lil' Greek shop with a stage for live music, and plenty of greenery.
Arts District is top notch with Bayou Place and Verison Center
Also, all the parks... Sesquincentenial, Tranquility, Hermann Square, Sam Houston, Antioch, Championship, Allen's Landing... and of couse Discovery Green.
I mostly like Discovery Green as it's like a mini, mini..... MINI Central Park. It's a great place for a date, to take your dog, your kids. It's got its big time fountains you can run in, a little place that resembles the natural wetlands you in East Texas, amphitheater, scultptures, this GREAT place to eat right in the middle...... took a girl there once.... Good times.
Minute Maid Park, Convention Center, and Toyota Center all lined up perfectly.
Rail line straight down Main Street.
And you just gotta love the linear skyline set up.

Cons:
Like Dallas, it can seem a bit intimidating walking through there.
Same homeless problem as Dallas... and other big cities, for that matter.
Main Street, although it has a rail line going through it, isn't exactly that attractive.
Some beautiful old buildings that are abandoned and/or going to be demolished. There's this HUGE hole close to where the Chase Tower is. Not exactly pretty. Dallas also has this problem.
WAAAAAY TO MANY SURFACE LOTS. Talk about heat island...
This is the same place that had Enron's Headquarters.... enough said.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I don't dislike Houston...You know that stadium is kind of ugly. Stop trying train your eye to like that monstrosity. At least it doesn't look as bad as Texas Stadium did. I use to cringe every time I looked at that stadium. The Cowboys left the cotton bowl for this. I personally celebrated when they demolished Texas Stadium. Wish I was there to see it get demolished.
Oh, Dynamo Stadium is shaping up.
As for the actual look and architecture of it.... meh. Hey, could be worse.

That neighborhood around it is gonna have to have some facelift work...

Old 10-16-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Oh, Dynamo Stadium is shaping up.
As for the actual look and architecture of it.... meh. Hey, could be worse.

That neighborhood around it is gonna have to have some facelift work...
You know I just know found out Reunion Arena was demolished back in 2009. I admit I will miss that Arena. I had some pretty good memories as a young buck at Reunion. What are they planning on doing with the site?

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 10-16-2011 at 11:19 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I doubt any of you actually attend a Dynamo game. Sorry that’s one ugly stadium. I am sticking with my assessment. Minute Maid Park is beautiful on the inside.
Are you talking about the current Dynamo stadium? Because the new one is under construction now.

JJG, click here.