Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times

Advertisements

Dallas is doing a good job working with what it has. I don't understand all the fuss from the Houstonians.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:18 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
<sigh> OK, I'll bite.

ComingtoHouston--> C2H--> stoneclaw,

It's alot easier and cost effective to construct a bridge prior to releasing water into the reservoir. HELLO!
i wasn't talking about the water. I was talking about your previous post talking about the developments that will spawn from the bridge.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston) you got that right!

Old 03-03-2012, 03:20 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have never once said that North Texas is more attractive than North Georgia. I think Dallas is a cleaner city than Atlanta, yes. I don't think North Texas is as ugly as people like to say, but the geographically the Atlanta area is prettier. I personally don't like how heavily forested Atlanta is for being a large city, it feels almost country-like in certain areas. I personally think Houston has just the right amount of greenery for a large city.
My fault, but why is it that you seem to put so much emphasis on cleanliness and sterility over character? Have you ever been to cities like New York or Philadelphia?

For all of Dallas' nice "packaging", there isn't much value when you finally get to what's actually under the wrapping. This is where Houston wins.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
My fault, but why is it that you seem to put so much emphasis on cleanliness and sterility over character? Have you ever been to cities like New York or Philadelphia?

For all of Dallas' nice "packaging", there isn't much value when you finally get to what's actually under the wrapping. This is where Houston wins.

Those cities have been around much longer than Houston. Houston for its relative age should not be so gritty looking.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Jason's Lyric is my favorite. Its probably the only movie I can think of that shows the real Houston. I'm sure there's more.

List of films set in Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will agree we do need a little marking strategy but not much of it. Hell, We are doing fine without a marketing strategy have you seen the stats lately. Our metro is not lagging in much but public transportation and we are working on that.

But Dallas is lacking in things to. Especially in the Culture/Arts Department (which is very important). You have no Theater District no Museum District and you don't have areas that look or fell like Montrose or Midtown which fells very authentic IMO. You cant expect to be the "Leading Metro in the State" if you cant get this together. The Art district is nice but Houston is leading the State and the South when it comes to arts/culture.
Uggh, Jason's Lyric was not the real Houston lol. The accents were terrible.

I agree with the rest of your post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I guess thats why I am more of a Dallas person. Much better nightlife, fashion sense and attractive single scene.
For whites, maybe. For blacks and other minorities, it's the complete opposite.

Anyway, my post wasn't suggesting that Houstonians only work and then go home, and I think you know that.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:

I agree with the rest of your post

For whites, maybe. For blacks and other minorities, it's the complete opposite.

Anyway, my post wasn't suggesting that Houstonians only work and then go home, and I think you know that.

DFW minority population is doing just fine.... Actually the income disparity between whites and minorties are lower than Houston. Go figure

Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Those cities have been around much longer than Houston. Houston for its relative age should not be so gritty looking.
what about Atlanta? Atlanta has its grit. Houston has a ship channel and plants producing many of this country's resources to speak for that. Sorry Houston can't keep from getting its pretty little feet dirty like Dallas!

Quote:
Dallas is doing a good job working with what it has. I don't understand all the fuss from the Houstonians.
Dallas has all this money and they're continuing to make themselves look better, they already got new shiney buildings and now they have to try to have an attitude like they're this east coast city and build bridges over ditches like they're the sht! DAMM.

Meanwhile, Houston just sits and lets its little brother to the north make all these upgrades and new icons while it sits on its ass and does nothing. Oh yeah! Houston's beginning to make better use of its parks and greenspace. The Buffalo Bayou/Central Park II, and Regency Square (What happened???), and etc. But we're not building decks of concrete over freeways and slapping grass on top of them like Dallas is doing. We're also not building subway sections and subway stations that look like they're scrubbed squeaky clean everyday for an attempt to look like NYC. Dallas is cool and hip and always has to be the shining star in Texas!

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Take note of at the end of Jason's Lyric, Jason rolled up out of Houston moving to Dallas.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
It's not supposed to be as clean and perfect as the suburbs, either. Regardless, Houston is hardly a filthy city, when compared to Dallas.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,897 times
Quote:
I know but I saw the skyline quite a bit in the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas