Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Are you aware of the thread that you're in? It's 7,000 posts long and I guarantee you most of it is even sillier debate than this topic. This isn't about LA, SF, or DC. Houston and Dallas have a unique relationship to say the least, and this thread is a prime example of that.

Sometimes its fun to discuss the hypothetical, and trust if you've read through even a fraction of this thread you'll know that most of the concrete arguments about the two have long been made.

This isn't what I would call a serious debate thread. It's like everything else Houston and Dallas - competitive for the sake of competitiveness. Looking at it as anything more is definitely seeing this through rose colored glasses.
Excellent post majic, if you're adverse to petty bickering you may want to avoid posting on the internet alltogether...

Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Save it Matt...you sound stupid
Dallasboi may I ask what the "boi" stands for ? Is it "born on island"?, if so might that island be Galveston?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Dallasboi may I ask what the "boi" stands for ? Is it "born on island"?, if so might that island be Galveston?
I think it is just a variation of Dallas-guy or Dallas-man

Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Probably so,but we are only speaking about Houston.You are further proving my point. If Houston magically disappear overnight; those other ports will pick up the slack as was mentioned earlier sir.(or madam)
Maybe but my point is that if Houston were to disappear it would probably have more of an effect on the country than Dallas would since there are very few existing ports as of today that are able to handle what Houston does especially when you are looking at the number of refineries in the area, the sheer volume, and types of different cargo. On the other hand your same logic could just as equally apply to Dallas as well since there are other inland hubs that are conveniently located such as Atlanta, Memphis, Denver (which now has the largest airport in the country), Kansas City, Chicago, etc.

Not that this takes away anything from either cities but nonetheless it proves my point.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Maybe but my point is that if Houston were to disappear it would probably have more of an effect on the country than Dallas would since there are very few existing ports as of today that are able to handle what Houston does especially when you are looking at the number of refineries in the area, the sheer volume, and types of different cargo. On the other hand your same logic could just as equally apply to Dallas as well since there are other inland hubs that are conveniently located such as Atlanta, Memphis, Denver (which now has the largest airport in the country), Kansas City, Chicago, etc.

Not that this takes away anything from either cities but nonetheless it proves my point.
Dallasboi is already using that same logic used on Dallas and applying it to Houston. So it's been done both ways.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The Port of Houston is a marvel of the nation because of what it took to build it. The Fred Hartman Bridge is pretty amazing in & of itself.

Dallas' inland port & airport is just a very large mass of plain old concrete & steel, nothing aesthetically pleasing or architecturally spectacular about it.
I love the Fred Hartman. I wish it was located somewhere people actually knew it existed.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I love the Fred Hartman. I wish it was located somewhere people actually knew it existed.
Driving in or out on I-10 its very obvious.

For most Houstonians however, it is true, they rarely, if ever see it.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I think it is just a variation of Dallas-guy or Dallas-man
^^^This^^^

I almost went with Dallasdude...but it looked too much like"Dallatude"...hmm did I spell that right?...looks ugly....oh well

Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

Now were back at square one right?!?! The original question was if TEXAS(not the U.S) could survive without Houston...And I replied yes...This is the reason this thread is 7000+ posts. We run these topics into the ground until the ground is mud...then we let the mud harden....and then we run them in the ground again. We always stumble across a point or realization that renders both equal and then the thread dies for a month or two....I love it

Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Driving in or out on I-10 its very obvious.

For most Houstonians however, it is true, they rarely, if ever see it.
Really? I need to start looking harder then.

The only time I ever see it is if I happen to take 225 to 146 to get to Kemah instead of taking 45 to NASA Road 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas