Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 07:08 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Isn't the A-Train commuter rail a part of DCTA? Isn't that it's own entity as well?
Yes

Old 01-26-2014, 05:54 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
my point is... dart does not serve the whole Metroplex like Metro does for Houston's whole Metroplex .Houston train and bus riders come from the whole area . dart is just for Dallas. The t is for the ft.worth side.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
my point is... dart does not serve the whole Metroplex like Metro does for Houston's whole Metroplex .Houston train and bus riders come from the whole area . dart is just for Dallas. The t is for the ft.worth side.
dude, did you not read my comment on the last page..?
and what dont you understand about the TRE feeding riders from the T into DART?

but lets play a little game where i play along with your claims.. DART only serves "half" the metro. take away half the riders from Houstons light rail (so they both supposably serve "half") and your left with 20,000 riders every day on 8 miles of track. vs 90,000 riders on 80+ miles of track. you have over 10xs the amount of track, yet less than 5xs the amount of passengers...
so your logic/reasoning still doesnt show why DART has such low passenger numbers per mile of rail, especially compared to a "toy train" like Houstons light rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
actually not even 1% of the metropolitan population rides it.. just as not even 1.5% of the DFW metro rides the DART system. im well aware DART doesnt cover all of DFW, (though it has commuter rail feeding the T into DART) Metro doesnt cover the whole Houston area either...
the Houston line served 40,000 people a day with all measly 8 miles... (since the new line opened it obviously wont have figures for another year), compared to the 80+ miles of Dallas lines which serve only 90,000 people. hmm.. which one has the better ratio?
METRO does not serve all of the Houston area.. it doesnt serve areas like Pearland, Sugar Land/Rosenberg, The Woodlands/Conroe, Galveston, or much of the east side of Houston.. id say it MIGHT cover 2/3rds of the metro area.. and thats being generous.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
dude, did you not read my comment on the last page..?
and what dont you understand about the TRE feeding riders from the T into DART?

but lets play a little game where i play along with your claims.. DART only serves "half" the metro. take away half the riders from Houstons light rail (so they both supposably serve "half") and your left with 20,000 riders every day on 8 miles of track. vs 90,000 riders on 80+ miles of track. you have over 10xs the amount of track, yet less than 5xs the amount of passengers...
so your logic/reasoning still doesnt show why DART has such low passenger numbers per mile of rail, especially compared to a "toy train" like Houstons light rail.

METRO does not serve all of the Houston area.. it doesnt serve areas like Pearland, Sugar Land/Rosenberg, The Woodlands/Conroe, Galveston, or much of the east side of Houston.. id say it MIGHT cover 2/3rds of the metro area.. and thats being generous.
So what!!!...greyhound feeds dallas people to houstons metro system does that change the fact houston metro is different from DART?...NO.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
So what!!!...greyhound feeds dallas people to houstons metro system does that change the fact houston metro is different from DART?...NO.
...serious? You gonna use greyhound?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
thats because Greyhound also feeds Houston people into the DART system.. but like Trae said, seriously?
do you honestly not understand the point im making..? most of the metroplex is covered by some form of local mass transit, which all connect together. meaning people in Ft Worth who want to go somewhere in Dallas could easily ride the TRE over to the DART system, so DART has the capability of providing service to most all of the metro, despite only covering half.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:16 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I get the feeling that us having separate transportation authorities may soon be a thing of the past...
I see a petition happening in the not so distant future for Fort Worth to join DART. Fort Worth residence are tired of FWTA. I am 100% in support of a merger.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
TRE connects both sides.

As for Metro Rail in Houston. The cars look a lot like the new street cars coming to Dallas and the majority of it runs on streets where bus routes once were. Is it considered a street car or light rail? What differentiates something from being a street car and being light rail? That always confuses me.
I personally consider Houston's light rail a streetcar system. It's slow, low in capacity, and runs in the street. Not to different from teams in Europe. Houston needs a rapid transit system.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I personally consider Houston's light rail a streetcar system. It's slow, low in capacity, and runs in the street. Not to different from teams in Europe. Houston needs a rapid transit system.
what will you call the light rail when Houston gets a legit streetcar system again? before i just looked it up, i didnt realize streetcars could go up to 40mph.. i was going to say the light rail trains arent as slow as streetcars (yes, there are a lot of stops slowing the travel time down), but i guess they probably dont top 40mph. single light rail vehicle capacity is around 225 people, but METRORail often runs double car trains, so the capacity is more like 450 people, vs 150 or so per streetcar. the capacity on the DART "light rail" (or should i start calling it a streetcar too? ) is practically the same as the Houston light rail.
Houstons light rail is more like a standard light rail, whereas Dallas' light rail serves more as a commuter rail network.
i agree though, Houston needs a grade separated rapid transit system.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I see a petition happening in the not so distant future for Fort Worth to join DART. Fort Worth residence are tired of FWTA. I am 100% in support of a merger.
I hope they do merge and bring Arlington and Grand Prairie along as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas