Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grind of Royal Warts View Post
Here is how it was explained to me.

Think more in terms of a wholesale regional design center for chefs and the restaurant business. Indeed, this is just an extension of what already exists extensively across the river in the way of The Dallas Market Center, the Dallas Design District, and the Trinity Design (antique) district. The last two districts have over three hundred stores among which many are now open to the public. Any chef in the world can submit dishes and a restaurant design concept and the restauranteur / owners of the district will invest equally in it if it wins their approval. This concept is wholesale in the sense that not just anyone can open up a restaurant within the designated district.

Of course, if one wanted to open a restaurant in the immediate area, they could still do so outside of the district. But I expect the district to expand as Dallas further invents itself as a regional restaurant design center. So, I don't think this is competition with Houston as much as the restaurant industry in Dallas stumbling upon a way of making the known world wide.

This concept isn't so easy to grasp so don't punish these Houstonians for not understanding it right off. It will take them a little time to marvel, but in the end I think they will.

Consider how, if and when a competing chef wins the right to build a restaurant within the district, they won't have to go very far piecing together the furnishings necessary for the restaurants interior for, as the saying goes, if you can't buy it in Dallas, then it doesn't exist.

When I first saw the schematic of all those skyscrapers expected to be built up around this district over time, they totally lost me. But this idea isn't pie in the sky at all as it has been in the works for eight years. It took them a few years of hard work just to piece a lot of properties together into the 80 acres. That is the part which won me over. Right as soon as construction started on that iconic bridge a few tears back, other developers began looking for property on the other side of it in depressed West Dallas and were shocked to find out that it had already been bought up.

So, all that other development going on in West Dallas right now is happening around this one. It will be the centerpiece.
Nate, Gandi, Tom Grind ect, We know how this thing works. I doubt this is going to move the needle on "fine dinning" in Dallas. If it does good for you and DFW, but we will not know if this is a "game changer" until it changes the game or it doesn't. In other words we will see how this works out

Old 04-15-2014, 04:12 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
This was just posted about Victory Park's new transformation including new office tower, residential buildings, eateries, retail, and roadway revisions.

[vimeo]91660280[/vimeo]
Victory Park Transformation on Vimeo

Old 04-15-2014, 04:43 PM

10 posts, read 10,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Nate, Gandi, Tom Grind ect, We know how this thing works. I doubt this is going to move the needle on "fine dinning" in Dallas. If it does good for you and DFW, but we will not know if this is a "game changer" until it changes the game or it doesn't. In other words we will see how this works out
Cool. I see that you are on the right path of one day understanding this development better. You still have a ways to go however. It has already succeeded a great deal when you take the other developments around it into account. This really has developed into a bridgehead on the wrong side of the Trinity the kind that the city of Dallas has long fought for and desired.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Cool. I see that you are on the right path of one day understanding this development better. You still have a ways to go however. It has already succeeded a great deal when you take the other developments around it into account. This really has developed into a bridgehead on the wrong side of the Trinity the kind that the city of Dallas has long fought for and desired.
Tom , you started this thread under the stipulation that Houston has the better chefs and better restaurants. Then you said this incubator was going to change that(implication being it hasn't yet) I would have conceded from the get go that this very well could turn into a great business development venture and that it could even be a big draw of people to the area, but I know it hasn't changed the perception of the relative quality of dinning in Dallas in comparison to Houston so far, and I doubt it will in the future. Get it?

Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Tom , you started this thread under the stipulation that Houston has the better chefs and better restaurants. Then you said this incubator was going to change that(implication being it hasn't yet) I would have conceded from the get go that this very well could turn into a great business development venture and that it could even be a big draw of people to the area, but I know it hasn't changed the perception of the relative quality of dinning in Dallas in comparison to Houston so far, and I doubt it will in the future. Get it?
Yes, I think I get it. With Houston, people find its Bohemian characteristics fascinating. If they are tourists to the area, they won't be able to put their finger on it. Houston isn't urban, but it is Bohemian to the extent that the restaurants are spread out and can pop up anywhere.

Like how Mama Ninfas got her start in seedy east Houston over thirty-five years ago attracting hundreds of well dressed business folks from downtown to eat her delicious fajitas. After eating that food, you never thought the place was a dump again or minded waiting in a long line to get a table. I can remember eating at a Bangladeshi restaurant many years ago as well where Bellaire crosses over Bissonett in the city of Bellaire. Instead of folding up cooked vegetables in a tortilla, they baked a kind of flat bread to roll it up in.

So, I know why people are fascinated with Houston's restaurant scene.

But Dallas will always have the advantage of being the regional center of the southwest. After all, the restaurant business is nothing more than a retail business. In that regards, I think the city has found its niche. That is a pretty remarkable achievement considering how close the city of Dallas is to both the cities of New Orleans and Houston.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:35 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
This was just posted about Victory Park's new transformation including new office tower, residential buildings, eateries, retail, and roadway revisions.

[vimeo]91660280[/vimeo]
[vimeo]91660280[/vimeo]
So excited!!! Dallas' core is really transforming.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:

[vimeo]91660280[/vimeo]
hmmm........does anyone remember the "Victory Park vs Houston Pavillions" thread?!?....Well now we know who's winning!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
hmmm........does anyone remember the "Victory Park vs Houston Pavillions" thread?!?....Well now we know who's winning!
Who's winning? The area formerly known as Houston Pavilions is currently undergoing an aggressive transformation where a new luxury hotel was just announced to tower right over the development. Plus there's been alot of venues that are doing fine like Lucky Strike Bowling Alley, House of Blues, BCBG, Forever 21, Petes Dueling Piano Bar, III Forks and more to come. Matter fact the Hotel alone is supposed to bring on quite a bit of retail space (like 7000 sq ft) alone.

Quote:

[vimeo]91660280[/vimeo]
Am I missing something?

When Victory Park was first announced, they were going on and on about how the high definition screens would be the main draw for visitors to this development. They were expecting visitors to stop and view the screens alone. But it was interesting on how useful those screens were when no one was there to watch them unless there was a main event going on.
Aside from that, I really don't see what's going to be so drastically different. The video seems to be merely advertising much of the surrounding amenities other than VP itself, but we'll see.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 04-15-2014 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Who's winning? The area formerly known as Houston Pavilions is currently undergoing an aggressive transformation where a new luxury hotel was just announced to tower right over the development. Plus there's been alot of venues that are doing fine like Lucky Strike Bowling Alley, House of Blues, BCBG, Forever 21, Petes Dueling Piano Bar, III Forks and more to come. Matter fact the Hotel alone is supposed to bring on quite a bit of retail space (like 7000 sq ft) alone.

Am I missing something?

When Victory Park was first announced, they were going on and on about how the high definition screens would be the main draw for visitors to this development. They were expecting visitors to stop and view the screens alone. But it was interesting on how useful those screens were when no one was there to watch them unless there was a main event going on.
Aside from that, I really don't see what's going to be so drastically different. The video seems to be merely advertising much of the surrounding amenities other than VP itself, but we'll see.
When has a sport's venue anchored development ever worked in North Texas? Did it ever work around Texas Stadium? Did it work out around Reunion Arena? I dare say that the Reunion development today stands as a much better development without Reunion Arena. What about Glory Park in Arlington or Victory Park in Dallas? These things have never worked in a market like North Texas and shouldn't.

In the end, isn't the city of Irving a much better place and a greater economy without Texas Stadium and the Dallas Cowboys? Seven Eleven sure thinks it is a better place. With its planned entertainment district, Irving is getting the happiness and screaming without having to pay millions to dumb football players and an owner who is always mucking things up by meddling.

The idea that two major metropolitan areas like the Houston area or North Texas need to anchor developments with sport's venues should be an insult. If anything, both Victory Park and the Houston Pavillions are progressing today because developers moved away from marketing the sport's venues as centerpieces.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

Am I missing something?

THIS..

Quote:
When has a sport's venue anchored development ever worked in North Texas? Did it ever work around Texas Stadium? Did it work out around Reunion Arena? I dare say that the Reunion development today stands as a much better development without Reunion Arena. What about Glory Park in Arlington or Victory Park in Dallas? These things have never worked in a market like North Texas and shouldn't.

In the end, isn't the city of Irving a much better place and a greater economy without Texas Stadium and the Dallas Cowboys? Seven Eleven sure thinks it is a better place. With its planned entertainment district, Irving is getting the happiness and screaming without having to pay millions to dumb football players and an owner who is always mucking things up by meddling.

The idea that two major metropolitan areas like the Houston area or North Texas need to anchor developments with sport's venues should be an insult. If anything, both Victory Park and the Houston Pavillions are progressing today because developers moved away from marketing the sport's venues as centerpieces.
err... what? GreenStreet/Houston Pavilions isnt anchored by a sports stadium... but you are right.. sports venues as anchors to retail/entertainment districts has never worked in north Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas