Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
635/161 goes all the way south to l-20. It is now a complete loop.
right... just as 1960/146/6 make a complete loop around Houston. no one counts that because its made up of multiple roads. 610 is a loop. Beltway 8 is a loop, the Grand Parkway will be a loop. 635 is a sideways horseshoe.. Dallas has one loop. loop 12.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
635/161 goes all the way south to l-20. It is now a complete loop.
I don't think Houston and Dallas are apples to apples comparison due to the fact that DFW is actually two conjoint major cities and the freeways are setup accordingly. Our outer loops tend to be circular with a linear end on one side. They tend to be kind of odd in that they can be connected to make different loops. As you can see, some of the loops below use some portions already used in other loops.

Dallas
  • Downtown loop - no argument there. 30+35E+75+Woodall
  • Loop 12 - also no arguments there. It is well marked.
  • This is where it starts to gets skewed due to the gravity of the mid/cities & Fort Worth. 635+Loop 12+35E+20
  • 635+161+20
  • 161+PGBT+20

Fort Worth
  • 820+20
  • 820+183+820
Denton
35+35E++288

You can even make an argument about stretched loops around both cities
Dallas & Fort Worth
  • 20+183+Loop 12+67
  • 20+820+121+183+PGBT+635
There is also the planned Loop 9 that would encircle Denton, Fort Worth and Dallas that will be further north than 380, further south then 20, further east then Rockwall, and further west then where 20 merges with 30.

Last edited by dollaztx; 04-12-2014 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I don't think Houston and Dallas are apples to apples comparison due to the fact that DFW is actually two conjoint major cities and the freeways are setup accordingly. Our outer loops tend to be circular with a linear end on one side. They tend to be kind of odd in that they can be connected to make different loops. As you can see, some of the loops below use some portions already used in other loops.

Dallas
  • Downtown loop - no argument there. 30+35E+75+Woodall
  • Loop 12 - also no arguments there. It is well marked.
  • This is where it starts to gets skewed due to the gravity of the mid/cities & Fort Worth. 635+Loop 12+35E+20
  • 635+161+20
  • 161+PGBT+20

Fort Worth
  • 820+20
  • 820+183+820
Denton
35+35E++288

You can even make an argument about stretched loops around both cities
Dallas & Fort Worth
  • 20+183+Loop 12+67
  • 20+820+121+183+PGBT+635
There is also the planned Loop 9 that would encircle Denton, Fort Worth and Dallas that will be further north than 380, further south then 20, further east then Rockwall, and further west then where 20 merges with 30.
agreed, Dallas' highway system is a cluster.. well, you know what. a mishmash of random highways and spurs all over the place. Houstons makes perfect sense and is much better organized. we will have 3 loops by 2020 or so. Dallas will still only have 1.

meh, thats ridiculous. if you can make "loops" out of all of those separate highways then you can make loops all across Houston, surrounding the different sectors of town.
Loop 610/45/59/beltway
Loop beltway 8/i10/highway 6/westpark
i could do this at least 10-20 more times for "loops" in the Houston area..
ridiculous, right? theyre not really loops.

is Loop 9 likely to happen? i was always under the assumption it was more a pie in the sky idea, but who knows. it would surely be impressive.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
If Dallas is starting to build more commercial highrise buildings than I think that is a strong indicator that the U.S. Economy must be on the upswing. The DFW economy tends to follow national trends, due to the economy being very diverse. I think it's amazing the DFW area weathered the recession as well as it did. Houston economy tend to be more prosperous during economic downtown turns because it caters to energy related industries.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:53 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
right... just as 1960/146/6 make a complete loop around Houston. no one counts that because its made up of multiple roads. 610 is a loop. Beltway 8 is a loop, the Grand Parkway will be a loop. 635 is a sideways horseshoe.. Dallas has one loop. loop 12.
As long as you can drive in a complete circle then its a loop. 635 and 161 merges so smooth and 161 is actually thr west side of two loops. 635 and George bush .

Old 04-14-2014, 06:35 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I don't think Houston and Dallas are apples to apples comparison due to the fact that DFW is actually two conjoint major cities and the freeways are setup accordingly.
Actually if it was setup correctly, Loop 12 would be a freeway, designated as I-635 instead, and the two loops would be connected by the current 183, I-20 (currently I-30), and a new southern freeway connecting the SE corner of I-820, to the SW corner of I-635 (current Loop 12).

Quote:
As long as you can drive in a complete circle then its a loop. 635 and 161 merges so smooth and 161 is actually thr west side of two loops. 635 and George bush .
In order for it to be a beltway/loop, the main lanes must go in a complete circle without having to switch to a flyover to complete the loop. That's like driving on Belt Line Road to bypass Downtown Dallas!

I thought it was I-635 and I-35E/US77, Loop 12 West, and Highway 408 (shows how the DFW freeway plan is such a cluster****) was the western part of the Dallas beltway but I digress to someone more expert in that subject.

My other gripes: Why was I-45 and US-75 not routed on the Central Expressway through and south of downtown instead?

There should be a bridge over Lake Arlington to connect US-287 together. It's very hard to go to Ft. Worth from I-45 without detouring through Dallas County.

Somebody missed a spoke on Highway 78 to get from Downtown Dallas to Garland. One would think that the absence of the freeway spoke would entail it is lightly populated, but Garland is very populous for a major suburb without a spoke freeway access to downtown. This looks like a similar situation to, now booming, Northeast Houston/Channelview with the Northeast Freeway (US-90).

Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
You never hear about Houston's museum district either unless its a houstonian on this very site bragging.
The Kimbell Art Museum is the most famous museum known outside of DFW. With the non-existent art district, until recently, one would have thought that Dallas' attractions were actually in the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex. (ex. the new Cowboys Stadium)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Sounds like assembly line production of restaurants not organic evolution.
I agree. This looks like a drawing board for a (multi-)national chain restaurant conglomerate to test a concept to launch in suburbs nationwide. Not surprised since the S&A Restaurant Corp (famous for Bennigan's and Steak & Ale) was and Brinker International (owners of Chili's and Maggiano's Little Italy) is headquartered in Dallas.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM

420 posts, read 705,967 times
Quote:
I agree. This looks like a drawing board for a (multi-)national chain restaurant conglomerate to test a concept to launch in suburbs nationwide. Not surprised since the S&A Restaurant Corp (famous for Bennigan's and Steak & Ale) was and Brinker International (owners of Chili's and Maggiano's Little Italy) is headquartered in Dallas.
If only this were in Houston, Jack Lance and you would be bringing it up in every single Dallas/Houston thread. It has nothing to do with chain restaurants. If you knew anything about Dallas (which let's be clear, neither of you do in any way shape or form -- the same as how most of the Dallas homers here know nothing about Houston), you'd know that this is located in one of the most innovative areas of Dallas. These West Dallas neighborhoods of the Design District and N. Oak Cliff probably have less chains and more original places than anywhere in DFW and I'd guess the vast majority of Houston. It's its own enclave of numerous artistic retail and restaurant startups. This restaurant incubator is like a food truck park without the trucks. It is much more innovative and creative than either of you want to make it out to be.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
If only this were in Houston, Jack Lance and you would be bringing it up in every single Dallas/Houston thread. It has nothing to do with chain restaurants. If you knew anything about Dallas (which let's be clear, neither of you do in any way shape or form -- the same as how most of the Dallas homers here know nothing about Houston), you'd know that this is located in one of the most innovative areas of Dallas. These West Dallas neighborhoods of the Design District and N. Oak Cliff probably have less chains and more original places than anywhere in DFW and I'd guess the vast majority of Houston. It's its own enclave of numerous artistic retail and restaurant startups. This restaurant incubator is like a food truck park without the trucks. It is much more innovative and creative than either of you want to make it out to be.
Are you sure this isn't a false flag attempt? Dallas has/had alot of national, suburban chain conglomerates (food/non-food) headquartered there.

Did you check the founders' background? Let's see: the motley crew of entrepreneurs consists of a restauranteur who previously founded a couple of national chain restaurants, a venture capitalist, and a commercial real estate broker. Sounds like the perfect recipe for creating a concept to sell to the conglomerates and for the chef and the three entrepreneurs to cash out in the end.

Sorry about being so cynical!

It's not that different in the banking industry here in Houston. The same bankers start/acquire a small bank, sell it to an out-of-state regional or national bank, start/acquire another small bank, and repeat.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 10,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Are you sure this isn't a false flag attempt? Dallas has/had alot of national, suburban chain conglomerates (food/non-food) headquartered there.

Did you check the founders' background? Let's see: the motley crew of entrepreneurs consists of a restauranteur who previously founded a couple of national chain restaurants, a venture capitalist, and a commercial real estate broker. Sounds like the perfect recipe for creating a concept to sell to the conglomerates and for the chef and the three entrepreneurs to cash out in the end.

Sorry about being so cynical!

It's not that different in the banking industry here in Houston. The same bankers start/acquire a small bank, sell it to an out-of-state regional or national bank, start/acquire another small bank, and repeat.
Here is how it was explained to me.

Think more in terms of a wholesale regional design center for chefs and the restaurant business. Indeed, this is just an extension of what already exists extensively across the river in the way of The Dallas Market Center, the Dallas Design District, and the Trinity Design (antique) district. The last two districts have over three hundred stores among which many are now open to the public. Any chef in the world can submit dishes and a restaurant design concept and the restauranteur / owners of the district will invest equally in it if it wins their approval. This concept is wholesale in the sense that not just anyone can open up a restaurant within the designated district.

Of course, if one wanted to open a restaurant in the immediate area, they could still do so outside of the district. But I expect the district to expand as Dallas further invents itself as a regional restaurant design center. So, I don't think this is competition with Houston as much as the restaurant industry in Dallas stumbling upon a way of making the known world wide.

This concept isn't so easy to grasp so don't punish these Houstonians for not understanding it right off. It will take them a little time to marvel, but in the end I think they will.

Consider how, if and when a competing chef wins the right to build a restaurant within the district, they won't have to go very far piecing together the furnishings necessary for the restaurants interior for, as the saying goes, if you can't buy it in Dallas, then it doesn't exist.

When I first saw the schematic of all those skyscrapers expected to be built up around this district over time, they totally lost me. But this idea isn't pie in the sky at all as it has been in the works for eight years. It took them a few years of hard work just to piece a lot of properties together into the 80 acres. That is the part which won me over. Right as soon as construction started on that iconic bridge a few tears back, other developers began looking for property on the other side of it in depressed West Dallas and were shocked to find out that it had already been bought up.

So, all that other development going on in West Dallas right now is happening around this one. It will be the centerpiece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas