Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 05:01 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times

Advertisements

This Woodlands vs Las Colinas thing is ridiculous. The Woodlands is a nice area with growth going on. Las Colinas is a nice district within Irving that is about to have more growth starting. Let's keep it honest though as Las Colinas packs a punch in it's own right: 4 Seasons resort, 4 Fortune 500 companies, rail service, access to multiple freeways, close proximity to urban centers, convention center. As is well known DFW has several other upscale planned communities/business centers so of course Las Colinas has to share growth with other areas that are growing as well.

The first aerial pic of Las Colinas is pretty old though. None of the apartment infill is even started yet in that pic. The Woodlands town center is currently nicer than anything that is in Las Colinas, but I would say centers of other areas in the Metroplex are as nice as what The Woodlands offers, it just happens to not be in Las Colinas yet, but it should be coming with plans to develop a town center on the lake.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
TW crushes LC on almost every level.

The only thing TW lacks is rail. That's where LC beats it, other than that, TW is a fine master planned community any major city would be envious of.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:38 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
This Woodlands vs Las Colinas thing is ridiculous. The Woodlands is a nice area with growth going on. Las Colinas is a nice district within Irving that is about to have more growth starting. Let's keep it honest though as Las Colinas packs a punch in it's own right: 4 Seasons resort, 4 Fortune 500 companies, rail service, access to multiple freeways, close proximity to urban centers, convention center. As is well known DFW has several other upscale planned communities/business centers so of course Las Colinas has to share growth with other areas that are growing as well.

The first aerial pic of Las Colinas is pretty old though. None of the apartment infill is even started yet in that pic. The Woodlands town center is currently nicer than anything that is in Las Colinas, but I would say centers of other areas in the Metroplex are as nice as what The Woodlands offers, it just happens to not be in Las Colinas yet, but it should be coming with plans to develop a town center on the lake.
Agreed, they are on two different levels. Las colinas is pretty nice though and deserves some credit.. Dallasboi butted into the Houston thread proclaiming the woodlands wasn't nicer than las Colinas. As for las Colinas sharing growth with other upscale developments, have you never heard of Katy/the energy corridor, memorial city, or Sugar Land to name a few? And other areas of the metroplex offer nicer town centers/downtowns than the woodlands please do tell.. Like metro Matt said, rail is the only thing anywhere in DFW has over the woodlands..

Old 02-01-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Agreed, they are on two different levels. Las colinas is pretty nice though and deserves some credit.. Dallasboi butted into the Houston thread proclaiming the woodlands wasn't nicer than las Colinas. As for las Colinas sharing growth with other upscale developments, have you never heard of Katy/the energy corridor, memorial city, or Sugar Land to name a few? And other areas of the metroplex offer nicer town centers/downtowns than the woodlands please do tell.. Like metro Matt said, rail is the only thing anywhere in DFW has over the woodlands..
Pretty much every area of DFW has a "town center" some nicer than others. The competition you listed for The Woodlands is how far away? The Woodlands to Katy or Sugarland takes how long? So I wouldn't exactly say they are direct competition as they serve their areas of the metro they are in as The Woodlands is nowhere near the other places listed.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Pretty much every area of DFW has a "town center" some nicer than others. The competition you listed for The Woodlands is how far away? The Woodlands to Katy or Sugarland takes how long? So I wouldn't exactly say they are direct competition as they serve their areas of the metro they are in as The Woodlands is nowhere near the other places listed.
True, las Colinas is more central in DFW than the woodlands is to the Houston metro. No one ever said it wasn't nice, I just thought it was a little uncalled for for dallasboi to butt into the Houston sub forum to say the woodlands wasn't as nice. It is without a doubt the #1 master planned community in Texas...

Old 02-01-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
True, las Colinas is more central in DFW than the woodlands is to the Houston metro. No one ever said it wasn't nice, I just thought it was a little uncalled for for dallasboi to butt into the Houston sub forum to say the woodlands wasn't as nice. It is without a doubt the #1 master planned community in Texas...
I think The Woodlands is a great concept, especially in an area like Houston that has a reputation for being urban chaos. I've mentioned before that some posters from Dallas and Houston get a little excited about the city they are representing and say things just to put the other down. I try to be logical with my posts.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 PM

we were talking about the arts a few days ago...

Arts Town: Mayor Parker touts new 5-year, $85 million cultural budget - CultureMap Houston

heres a few quotes from the article..

"Amid banners with the words, "Cultural tourists spend more and stay longer," "Houston has more than 500 cultural, visual and performing arts organizations," and "More Art," Mayor Annise Parker announced the implementation of a five-year cultural arts budget using revenue from the hotel occupancy tax."

"At the arts reception, city controller Ron Green noted that more than 146,000 people are employed in the arts in the Houston area, more than the the Texas Medical Center by almost 50 percent. "That's a major economic impact on our community," he said. "

Old 02-02-2014, 05:32 PM

311 posts, read 450,794 times
Having moved to Dallas for a new gig, and having lived in Houston for a while before that, I do find myself missing the food and diversity in Houston. Food especially. The "taco" scene in Dallas is questionable, and anything European or Asian is few and far between (Chinese, Indian, Greek, Mediterranean, Halal, etc.) It really just boils down to size - Houston is twice as large (counting Fort Worth into Dallas is questionable as well... I don't see my coworkers going to Fort Worth and back or vice versa as a norm around Dallas), so naturally there is more to do and see. Dallas is so far up north it might as well be in Oklahoma. My preference is for Houston, a real Texas sized city.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:10 AM

146 posts, read 352,798 times
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3777/1...03473775_o.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC 13
Beijing-based Developer to Bring Urban Living to Pearland

PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- A new development could soon bring "urban" living to an undeveloped area of Pearland. The proposed $300 million project would be built on 48 acres near Highway 288 and Clear Creek Boulevard.
Link w/ video: Planned new development could bring 'urban' living to Pearland | abc13.com
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3744/1...516c8b08_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7439/1...c18aefb5_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3812/1...df8a2df3_b.jpg

Last edited by Debsi; 02-27-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Lincoln Property Co. to develop luxe Uptown residential tower

Lincoln Property Co. to develop luxe Uptown residential tower - Dallas Business Journal

Quote:
The apartment property, which will be known as Lincoln Knox, is a six-story, 165-unit residential tower at 4501 Cole Ave. in Dallas. The project will be on the former site of Ed Kellum & Son Audio and Video Appliances.

The tower will include a Trader Joe's grocery store and other high-end shops. The property is owned by Sarofim Realty Advisors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas