Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I understand people getting defensive over an unfair portrayal of their city, but when it gets to nitpicking and turning everything into a pi**ing contest (We have more skyscrapers than you, blah blah blah) and denigrating other cities to make yours look good, it comes off as extremely childish and silly.

I think it's the reasons you listed, that we do get bashed so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I think it's the reasons you listed, that we do get bashed so much.
Yep

Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Yes and my children were raised in Texas by their parents, one a westerner, one a northerner. My children are Texans. I was raised in California by my parents, one an easterner and one an immigrant from Germany who lived 25 years in the east. I am a Californian.
Parents have the most influence on their kids either way you put it; You could be born and grow up in Texas and become a hardcare liberal. I never said he wasn't a Texan, it is just that people blame the way he is because of how he grew up in Texas (Houston,TX at that).

Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM

256 posts, read 750,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I'm pretty sure a 17 year old on up would know the consequences of killing someone. That's just stupid. I'm 17, and know damn well what would happen to me if I went on a murdering spree. Hell, anyone at around the age of 14 on up should know that they will be looking at a long time in jail at the least.
Oh yeah, I definitely think they should spend a long time in jail, no question. I'm not saying we should just give them community service for a few months. I definitely think a teenager who murders somebody should go to jail for a long, long time. I just think executing them is a bit harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
So I guess you'll take him into you're house and try to reform him? Give me a break.

I guess you think Brian Nichols is some sort of saint too...
WTF? Where did you get this s**t from anything I said? I don't think murderers are "saints", I just think we can give them life in prison rather than killing them (especially if they were still a teenager when they committed the crime).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
So what are we supposed to do with this SOB who kills an innocent man for a @#$ car? If he can do that as a kid, think of what kind of adult he would have become had he not been executed. But no...you see nothing wrong with supporting and paying for these scums for life, if necessary. What a horrific waste of money on people who didn't have any problem taking some innocent person's life. Then they beg for mercy for their own?
Believe that if you will, but you need to think about what motivates people to commit crimes like that. They're not all monsters. They're ESPECIALLY not monsters when they commit the crime at such a young age. As I clearly stated in my last post, it is a scientific fact that teenagers are much more impulsive and and reactionary. It is entirely possibly the the 17-year-old boy who killed that couple paniced and did it in the heat of the moment and then felt awful right afterwards. That is very often the case with kids who commit crimes.

And tax money is wasted on so many things it's really a joke to be concerned about the 0.00000001% of "your taxpayer money" that is spent on keeping murderers in prison who could have been executed instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Even worse, bleeding hearts like Amnesty International would like for Texas and other Death Penalty states to abolish the death penalty. The DP doesn't need to be abolished. It just needs to be made faster and cheaper to save taxpayers money.
What, you want to kill people BEFORE they can be exonerated on death row? They've founded like 200 people on death row to be later innocent. So if you had your way, they would be killed before they could be proven innocent. And then WE'D be the ones murderering innocent people.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
No, it's much, much worse than that. He was raised in Texas BY HIS BLUEBLOOD YANKEE PARENTS WHO "SUMMER" IN MAINE. (Not only aren't they Texan enough to take the heat, these are people who use "summer" as a verb!!!)

However, I think we can all agree that Bush's wife and daughters are true Texans.

I hate to break it to you, but you just made yourself more of a case as to why your children will never be considered true Texans by anyone other than themselves and you. I wouldn't advertise that, if I were you.
Why wouldn't I advertise it? It's nothing shameful. That comment reminds me of a comment by a Texan who informed me I shouldn't tell people I'm from CA. How shallow is that? I would say shallow to the max and very sad.

True Texan? Oh, here we go again. Yes, my children are Texans and probably truer than most people in general. You haven't a clue as to how my children act, think, or whatever, so don't insult me and make yourself look silly. You know what, it doesn't matter what you think as your tunnel vision leaves much to be desired.

Trust me, you haven't broken anything to me, so please don't feel like you have. I get the picture and there's no changing it. No offense, but your attitude is why many find it unpleasant to associate with real Texans, whatever they are. Honestly though, what makes a real Texan to me is someone who is kind, sweet, honest, hospitable, friendly, humble, good values, and all those other admirable qualities. Oh wait, that also constitutes a pretty decent person no matter where he or she was born.

Let me question you about those who can't take the Texas cold (of which it isn't cold) and get a little more shallow on this topic. That's okay they're not Texan enough to take the cold which doesn't last long at all, but only a true Texan can take the heat? Oh please, that is another comment that is just over the top and ridiculous.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
It is entirely possibly the the 17-year-old boy who killed that couple paniced and did it in the heat of the moment and then felt awful right afterwards. That is very often the case with kids who commit crimes.

It IS possible, yes. But it does not change the fact that he took an innocent life, and destroyed a family forever. Most death row inmates get apologetic and remorseful, find religion, blah, blah, blah....and I'd guess that the overwhelming majority of the time that all of this is a sham to try to avoid being executed.

In my opinion, anybody who kills an innocent person to steal their car--or for any other reason than pure self-defense--is indeed a monster.

It is also possible to execute an innocent person, but the length of time they have for appeals makes this highly, highly unlikely. Even at that, 10+ years is far too long.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,977 times
I will say one thing....it's apparent in the General US forums. I think it also may have something to do with the fact that "everything's bigger and better in Texas" theory. Big money, big churches, big food, big events, etc.... In other words envy. Just my opinion.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 PM

256 posts, read 750,258 times
I'm sorry, but nobody's envious, it's just obnoxious as hell. Stupid phrases like "Don't mess with Texas" and "Everything is bigger in Texas" don't convince us that Texas is actually better it just makes us think Texans are arrogant. Which they are, if they go around telling people how much better their state is.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,568 times
"Don't mess with Texas" is an advertising campaign encouraging locals not to litter in Texas. I don't know why that should bother out of state people.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
I'm sorry, but nobody's envious, it's just obnoxious as hell. Stupid phrases like "Don't mess with Texas" and "Everything is bigger in Texas" don't convince us that Texas is actually better it just makes us think Texans are arrogant. Which they are, if they go around telling people how much better their state is.
I especially love people who try to come in and tell us how "us Texans" are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas