Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times

Advertisements

Quote " Or ensure that the person in front of you respects your space "

Its NOT your space, The Recline area belong to the seat In front of you!!! Not You. Just as the recline space behind your seat belongs to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 02:54 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
No it doesn't

Can you store your magazine in the pouch on the seat behind you - after, according to you that is your space within the recline zone

Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
The option to recline is for the passenger in front of you to decide. You can ask nicely that they not recline, and they can decide to ignore your request. I will usually cut someone sitting behind me a break if they have the courtesy to ask, not demand, that I not recline fully. However, if some azzhat decides they will use passive agressive measures like a knee in the back, I will stand up and ask them to quit. If they decide to still play their stupid games, turbulence or clumsiness will cause my drink or food to end up in their lap.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

if you threw your food over the seat to hit me you'd need a whole new style to eat it for a couple of months

it's funny how you talk about passive aggressive measures and then throw out a dopey comment like that

Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
If you want more space than coach will provide, then pony up the dough to fly business or first class. If you want to cheap out and pay coach, then you get everything a coach ticket buys you -- including the possibility of the person in front of you reclining into "your" space.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
reclining seats are a relic from when there was actual pitch on flights ..... they need to go the way of ashtrays

to me it's much more rude to slam your seat back, spill peoples drinks/snacks, make it impossible to operate a laptop because of the angle between the tray and a reclined seat and to force your seat into the legs of someone else

if you don't want to feel my knees during a flight it's very simple - don't put your seat into them

if you do put your seat into them I guarantee that both of us will have a long, miserable flight .... not by my choice, but by your actions

have some consideration of those around you and some awareness of your surroundings
Best post of the thread; although it's rare; having a passenger adjust his seat backwards without/looking asking is very rude, for any reason ( drink spillage, decreases comfort, etc). If I'm going to recline, I'd look first, and then make a very minor adjustment.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you want more space than coach will provide, then pony up the dough to fly business or first class. If you want to cheap out and pay coach, then you get everything a coach ticket buys you -- including the possibility of the person in front of you reclining into "your" space.
If you want to fully recline and not have to worry about catching a knee in the back because there is absolutely no space to recline than pony up the dough and buy a business class or first class seat where you can enjoy a more plush seat, more pitch and more room to recline

It's a two way street people and basic respect for your fellow passengers goes a long way

Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
No, it's not a two-way street. When you buy a coach ticket you buy X amount of space, including the space behind you to recline. If you can't handle people taking full advantage of the space made available to them, pay extra for more space.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, it's not a two-way street. When you buy a coach ticket you buy X amount of space, including the space behind you to recline. If you can't handle people taking full advantage of the space made available to them, pay extra for more space.
I agree. The space behind your that your seat reclines in to is your space. Just like the space underneath the seat in front of you is your space. I once had a guy try to put something under his seat and I let him know that he had to put it under the seat in front of him or overhead.
If there is a doubt about who's space it is wher ethe seat reclines you can call the stewardess and she will let you know that everyone has the right to recline their seat. If you can't use your laptop then maybe you should bring a book instead. Also the bit about spilling drinks is a red herring. The angle of the tray doesn't change that much when you recline and drinks won't spill.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
If you can't use your laptop then maybe you should bring a book instead.
This makes me assume you don't have a job where you use a computer 99% of the time. Some people need the commute time to work otherwise they'd be working after they get home. My husband works 16+ hours days often times when he travels, and if he didn't finish up on the flight home, he'd be up all night doing work. I'm pretty sure most business travelers would prefer to finish up some work than a novel on the flight. And no, flying business class is not always an option. Many employers are cutting back and booking people in coach instead. Financially, it's the smart thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel