Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 06:23 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times

Advertisements

Wehotex, children under 2 fly free as lap babies on domestic flights in the US, on international flights they cost 10% of the non discounted adult fare plus taxes. On domestic flights in other countries they charge for lap babies. Once they turn 2 they cost the same as an adult domestically and 50% of the undiscounted adult fare plus taxes internationally. The lower fares normally end up being a few percent less than the cheap fare the adult really pays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Someone else brought up obnoxious adult behavior examples. Right, that would annoy me as well. Annoying behavior is annoying behavior, regardless if it comes from a kid or an adult. So why are some getting offended that there are some who are annoyed by that kid, simply because it's a kid?
Because children are not adults. If they were, suits would come in size 2T and your CEO could be three feet tall.

Children's brains are not mature. They think they can make things happen by thinking them, they gave a higher need for movement and sleep than adults and they also have less self control than adults. Normal people make allowances for children the same way they make allowances for aduts with visible disabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Are you saying your child plays with no toys? Really?

I got creative. I brought chenille pipe cleaners and we made a zoo full of monsters. I brought new Matchbox cars for him to open and play with. I brought a package of foam shapes from the craft store as well which also kept him occupied for an hour or so. Then we used the pipe cleaners and shapes to make a town for the cars to drive through. I spent the entire trip occupying him. That was my job. Not the job of those around me, not the job of the flight attendants, my job.
That's pathetic. Three options? No stickers, no playdough, no markers, no beads, no schleich figures, no jigsaws, no lacing cards, no books, no DVD player, no ipad, no array of snacks? Let me make a wild guess... your single child is under two and you've flown once for about three hours over a single time zone. No wonder you're an expert.

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 06-20-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Exactly how big do you thin the galley area is?

And how many bulkheads do you think are available? They're usually taken up by the frequent flyers with long legs who are able to select priority seating.
Not true, babies under 1 get first priority because that's where the bassinettes are (and bouncy seats on BA). But usually at least some miss out because there are more babies than bassinettes. Parents in the know don't want the bulkhead once their child's too big for the bassinette and needs their own seat because the lights there are brighter at night and because the video screens are in the armrest a child in a carseat can't watch TV. They also mean you can't lift the arm rest and act as pillow for your child at night.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:13 PM

149 posts, read 198,159 times
I used to be a frequent traveler and now I have an 8 month old. It never bothered me when it was an infant crying, so long as the parents looked like they cared enough about other people to try and quiet the child. I recognized that sometimes there is nothing you can do, and those times where unpleasant, but I always would tell the parents that people understand, so as to try and make them not feel bad. Of course, I only did this to the good parents that you could tell really did feel bad.

What bothered me was not the infants, there is often nothing you can do there, but the toddlers that had no expectation that they should behave, refrain from kicking the seat in front of them, or not scream. Even in those situations, so long as the parents were clearly trying to be considerate of the people around them, I simply wrote it off as the price of flying, just like I do for people that are handicapped and take forever to get off the plane or people that don't know property carry on rules or people that can't seem to figure out the basic rules of traveling.

The golden rule is that if you are trying to minimize your impact on the people around you and show that you honestly feel bad for being an inconvenience, I can put up with just about anything.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 PM

149 posts, read 198,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
End thread because YOU say so? Will somebody please answer if these kids are flying for free? What's the age limit to fly free?
Children fly for free under the age of 2 as "infant in arms" but if there is an open seat no one begrudges them the seat. That isn't a rule, but it is reality. Same as if there is an empty row in the same class that you paid for, but yours is full, you can move to have more room.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Modern world of parenting. then they wander why others want restaurants to seat them in non-kid areas more and more.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
And others have wondered why I choose the noisiest seat on a plane, right by the engines.
Doesn't cut everything but sure helps muffle a lot of it.Great white noise.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:02 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just endured a horrific southwest airline flight filled with screaming crying kids who would not shut up. All the mother did was "shhhh". Does that qualify as sufficient these days? What obligation do these parents have for the other passengers? Or do they? Should they leave the kids at home?
How about noisy, obnoxious adults? Who shhhh-es them? Should they stay at home too?
I've had more flights ruined by adults than by crying children.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
How about noisy, obnoxious adults? Who shhhh-es them? Should they stay at home too?
I've had more flights ruined by adults than by crying children.
I have to totally disagree with you on that one: we have had a few flights ruined by young children, and few by adults. We have flown all over the world, so it isn't like we are novice flyers. That being said, yes, a parent should do all he/she can to keep kids quiet. If this means a good firm hand on the bottom oh well. I know it isn't possible to totally get infants or toddlers quiet, I know the ear pain for them can be pretty bad, but any child over 2 or 3 should know how to behave. When I see comments like yours, I wonder if you are one that flies with your noisy child?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:04 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to totally disagree with you on that one: we have had a few flights ruined by young children, and few by adults. We have flown all over the world, so it isn't like we are novice flyers. That being said, yes, a parent should do all he/she can to keep kids quiet. If this means a good firm hand on the bottom oh well. I know it isn't possible to totally get infants or toddlers quiet, I know the ear pain for them can be pretty bad, but any child over 2 or 3 should know how to behave. When I see comments like yours, I wonder if you are one that flies with your noisy child?
Ruined? Did you not get from point A to point B?

In any event, if you think spanking is an effective way to get a kid to be quiet you are crazy.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:14 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There's that crazy logic again. Please explain how causing pain will get a child to stop crying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel