U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 PM
 
14,190 posts, read 6,428,762 times
Reputation: 14640

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Well, guess what, not everyone gets the window seat. We have a seat back that reclines, so we use it. Find an airline that doesn't have reclining seats. It's none of your business what I do with my seat back or how I use the button on my arm rest. Seriously, why do people not get this?!?
Then I hope you don't get angry if someone's knees keep knocking the back of your reclined seat because they have no room to move. Not sure why some don't understand that.

 
Old 08-26-2014, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,781 posts, read 10,186,900 times
Reputation: 14312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I always recline on an airplane, because I have back/neck injuries and it is uncomfortable for me sit straight up for long periods of time. If the OP or anyone else doesn't like it tough crap. Either pay for more room in 1st class or find an airline that has seats that don't recline. (Good luck on that one) I've got news for you controlling pricks, that seat back is mine to do what I want with it. They recline for a damn good reason.
Hey, calm down, hombre. Why don't YOU pay more to get the seat to accommodate your needs? Oh, I get it, others should be made to be pay more or have their rights infringed upon so that you can have a comfortable ride. Just like Remember the Alamo, this is YOUR personal seat and by golly someone will have to pry your hand off the button before you'd give an ounce of consideration for your fellow passenger.

Yeah, got it.

My legs and kneecaps are mine as well and I can do what I want with them too, so I hope you like your back aggravated as I make extra sure you know my presence. Since we'd both be acting like eight year olds here.
 
Old 08-26-2014, 01:54 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,834,325 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
+1,000,000

The problem is that there is a vocal minority (look down the rows of any long flight and see that at least 75% are leaned back) that gripes and moans about this. Fly first class. Problem solved. Until the airlines take the button away from me I'm going to use it. GET OVER IT!
Not nearly 75%. Not even close. And I was on a plane as recently as Sunday. On a plane that didn't have first class.
 
Old 08-26-2014, 01:56 PM
 
14,190 posts, read 6,428,762 times
Reputation: 14640
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Not nearly 75%. Not even close. And I was on a plane as recently as Sunday. On a plane that didn't have first class.
I'm not sure I've ever been on a plane that had first class. Granted, I don't fly often, but first class didn't appear to be on any plane. Business class? Sure, but not first class.
 
Old 08-26-2014, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Herndon, VA
2,086 posts, read 2,107,087 times
Reputation: 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Then I hope you don't get angry if someone's knees keep knocking the back of your reclined seat because they have no room to move. Not sure why some don't understand that.
I don't care. Do what you have to do. If you think being aggressive towards me is going to keep me from using the control the airline has provided for me over my seat back, you are sadly mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Why don't YOU pay more to get the seat to accommodate your needs?
Here's the thing for all of you thick headed people. I don't need to pay more, because I'm comfortable in the seat the airline has provided for me. It has a recline feature that I'm happy to use. THE AIRLINE PROVIDED THAT FOR ME FOR THE COACH PRICE. If you don't like that move your butt to 1st. I am perfectly happy in coach using my seat as it is equipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
...so I hope you like your back aggravated as I make extra sure you know my presence. Since we'd both be acting like eight year olds here.
The only one that would be acting like an 8 year old would be you. I'd be using the seat as it is intended to be used.

Seriously, you people are too freaking dense. I'm out of this conversation. Good luck changing the entire industry to suit your needs.
 
Old 08-26-2014, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Way Up North
225 posts, read 230,152 times
Reputation: 420
Talking Reclining Airline Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I don't need to pay more to fly 1st class since I don't need extra leg room and BECAUSE THE FRICKIN' SEAT RECLINES!!!! Evidently, the airlines do intend for me to do what I want with it since they gave me the button. Seriously, are people that dense?



I disagree.



You should definitely find that airline(s), because I'm putting the seat back. I just flew from Dulles to Denver via United and the seat reclined. I enjoyed the crap out of my laid back position too.



It must be my space since I control the button, huh?

For people that think they are too tall to fly in coach, welcome to reality. It sucks being tall unless you're playing basketball or trying to pick up a skank in a bar. You're the same people that will say fat people should have to pay more to fly, but think you're exempt since you're tall. Guess what, I'm not responsible for your height. If you can't manage to fit your gangly rear in a coach seat that is has the seat reclined in front of you then feel free pay more.
Wow...you really sound like Mr. Charming Personality! I'm sure everyone who knows you really loves your pleasant personality.

The airlines gave people the recline button because people used to be considerate. Now some of the smaller airlines have taken out the recline feature because of inconsiderate people. Yes...some people really are that dense and selfish that they recline their seats no matter what the situation going on behind them! Hard to believe, isn't it? Some people also claim that they have back and neck problems so that they have to recline or they are not comfortable. Oh, come on! Do they recline their seats all day at work and while they are eating? Sounds like an excuse a controlling person would try to me.

Airlines are now having airplane seat rage and fights go on because of people who only think of themselves and recline their seats when it is inconvenient for the person behind them. Just today a plane had to be diverted because of a fight over airplane seats reclining. How immature! It will be those rude, inconsiderate controlling people that are the cause of airlines taking out the recline mechanisms. Those people need to pay the extra $$ for first class seats. Maybe if they are actually that incapacitated (and can prove it) that they need to recline during the entire flight, the airlines might put them up in first class at no extra charge if there are seats available. The rest of us would gladly see them placed there.
 
Old 08-26-2014, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Reputation: 33486
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I travel a lot and am tired of people who recline their seats all the way back. If it was up to me there would be no recline at all. The news is full of stories of passengers fighting over seat recline. I would solve it by eliminating that option.

What do you think about reclining seats on planes? Please take my poll.
I've found reclining upside down with my legs draped over the set back gives me the most comfort. hey you back there, mind if I take my shoes off?
 
Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,781 posts, read 10,186,900 times
Reputation: 14312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I don't care. Do what you have to do. If you think being aggressive towards me is going to keep me from using the control the airline has provided for me over my seat back, you are sadly mistaken.



Here's the thing for all of you thick headed people. I don't need to pay more, because I'm comfortable in the seat the airline has provided for me. It has a recline feature that I'm happy to use. THE AIRLINE PROVIDED THAT FOR ME FOR THE COACH PRICE. If you don't like that move your butt to 1st. I am perfectly happy in coach using my seat as it is equipped.

Seriously, you people are too freaking dense. I'm out of this conversation. Good luck changing the entire industry to suit your needs.
And you're too freaking loony.

Here's the thing for you inconsiderate jerks, recline your seat but be considerate of the person behind you especially if they are tall or infirm. That stance of "it's MY right and if you don't like it, you can shove it!" is infantile. You'd think that in grade school you would have been taught better and have some semblance of consideration of your fellow human being. That's the problem these days. People keep spouting about their rights and everyone else's be damned.

You can recline your seat, but it sure would be nice, adult, and decent of you to consider others.
 
Old 08-26-2014, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,781 posts, read 10,186,900 times
Reputation: 14312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
You sound so... REASONABLE!

Where is the fun of that when we can snipe at each other on city-data?
LOL.

Though this latest poster defending his seat recline button is really funny.
 
Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Reputation: 41769
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I travel a lot and am tired of people who recline their seats all the way back. If it was up to me there would be no recline at all. The news is full of stories of passengers fighting over seat recline. I would solve it by eliminating that option.

What do you think about reclining seats on planes? Please take my poll.
I agree 100%. Sometimes people recline them so it is hard to even move your legs and certainly almost impossible to put you tray down. I have gotten dirty looks and a few comments when I have asked the person to please put their seat back upright. I know they have the right to recline the seats, but I appreciate people being thoughtful of others. Flying to day with all the inconveniences some jerks created plus the cost, the extra charges, the discontinuing of meals, and the lack of leg room, makes flying anything but pleasurable. Then add the recliner hog in front of you and I would almost rather walk than fly.

It would be wonderful if everyone could afford to fly business or first, but only a handful can and to build up enough miles to fly first is almost a thing of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top