Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:01 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You are imagining things, How many 'hospitality stays' have you hosted or done?

In over 1000 stays I have never had a 'hospitality host' emphasize or even mention how generous they are, EXCEPT for an Air B&B host in Ireland who was really pumped up about their ratings.

Hospitality folks do it (free) as a service to others, not out of desperation for profit / making house payments.

Certainly not for all... that is fine, I think the thread is about Misunderstanding of Air B&B's..

There are plenty (that's obvious, and to be expected).

Nothing is perfect (except for the 'desired' responses to this thread).

100% of my Air B&B stays had a profit motive, all but one had a 'crisis' profit motive. (needed the dough for payment, drugs? whatever)
Some were dangerous.
Some were very noisy / smokey.
Most were illegally positioned (not in commercial zoning / insurance / code violations for use, construction, and safety).
Most were dirty.
I do not have high expectations or needs.

YMMV as do many. (We all expect that)

Family members have (6) VRBO homes on FL coast. They use Air B&B for short fills. They dislike the organization and the clients, but it fills a minimal Short Term need for revenue. (Again.. profit motive / necessity) and LEGAL rental units ++

If I need a place, I have great success with Homeaway. (usually use that international, as most owners are international, not USA based). For short stays, Agoda has excellent customer service and often has similar accommodations to Air B&B. Sad than many of these great operations get absorbed into the conglomerates, but last week Agoda quickly straightened out a problem, so they still have a bit of autonomy to meet customer service requirements. And the businesses they represent are true businesses. With insurance, permits, registration, and reputation.

No FALSE reviews! that is a plus!

True B&B organizations have higher accountability and standards than Air B&B (for similar cost) and you (legally) get what you pay for / as advertised.
Thanks for providing input on this topic by showing that you have a lot of misinformation about Airbnb.

First to accuse hosts of needing money for drugs is simply outrageous. So much so that it borders in irrational. People open their homes for all sorts of reasons. One story I saw recently was about a man who had suffered the death of his spouse and Airbnb'ed his in-law suite so that he would have people to occasionally talk to. He was simply lonely and elderly like many many Americans. He ended up becoming a superhost who now participates in Airbnb Open Homes which is a program offered to open up houses to those who have been displaced for a number of reasons. There's no profit as it's provided for FREE by hosts. Again it's doubtful that you have ever been to the Airbnb website to explore what programs are even offered.

I have explained in previous posts about how reviews work on Airbnb and it's not"false". See the other thread a guest started after he got a poor review from a host he gave a good one to. No one can read what anyone wrote until they leave their own review so there's no extortion nor any tit for tat. Not sure if the bizarre homestay thing you do has a review structure built in but I can say with 10000% certainty that I would never ever go to the home of a total stranger without seeing some kind of feedback by others. And you certainly have spent a good deal of time on this thread virtue signaling about how great you are for hosting for FREE (ostensibly others who don't are doing it for drug money !) and how grateful we should all be that people like you exist.

We have listed on other sites like VRBO but our spaces are pretty much always booked first on Airbnb. And they are so busy that we have had to keep taking days off of calendars on other sites which gets confusing to manage with multiple properties. Another misunderstanding you might have is that different hosts only rent through one site. There's a ton of overlap. These same dirty/dangerous/greedy people on Airbnb are suddenly just fine on another website? Not logical.

At this point the debate is funny. Unless you were assaulted by an Airbnb host the level of ire you feel for this type of vacation rental is not earned. And your assumptions and dramatic assertions are at the level of best selling fiction writing. We got it. You HATE Airbnb. Point taken. On behalf of Airbnb hosts everywhere, we invite you never to participate in this resource again. But really your posts read like sour grapes that others are making money on what you are giving away.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 06:35 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Certainly not for all... that is fine, I think the thread is about Misunderstanding of Air B&B's..
Then why are you constantly bringing up hospitality exchanges, just like you do in just about every airbnb thread you come across?

Quote:
100% of my Air B&B stays had a profit motive, all but one had a 'crisis' profit motive. (needed the dough for payment, drugs? whatever)
Some were dangerous.
Some were very noisy / smokey.
Most were illegally positioned (not in commercial zoning / insurance / code violations for use, construction, and safety).
Most were dirty.
I do not have high expectations or needs.
Clearly you are not very good at picking out airbnbs, assuming you're telling the truth (big question mark there too) it would be fascinating to observe the process you use to arrive at these places over and over.

Quote:
Agoda quickly straightened out a problem, so they still have a bit of autonomy to meet customer service requirements. And the businesses they represent are true businesses. With insurance, permits, registration, and reputation.
Really? Tell what business this represents: https://www.agoda.com/sportive-homes...m-penh-kh.html

"My small yet functional studio is on the 6th floor of AN apartment in a very convenient and quiet location. It is 400 m from the Olympic stadium and the Seastone gym which are both my favourite places. It is 2km from the Central market and 3km from the Independent Monument. The bus stop is right in front of the apartment too. Otherwise, I have 3 bikes that you can use to commute in the city or go to the neighborhoods easily."

Looks like a nice option but that's some guy with a room who put it on Agoda, you don't know anything about what permits or insurance he has and you sure as hell don't know that it's a true business. Reputation? How about zero reviews, you don't know anything about this guy's reputation. I'd also be really surprised if a 6th floor room in PP didn't have some issues that would be considered fire/safety violations in many other countries.

Quote:
No FALSE reviews! that is a plus!
I can't imagine the suspension of reality required to believe that among the millions of reviews on Agoda there are no FALSE reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel