Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times

Advertisements

I've been to a number of cities that were unpleasant, but that I didn't have high hopes for ( many English and Canadian industrial cities - sorry, Sudbury and Hull! ), and cities that I knew weren't meant to appeal to my sort long before I came ( Las Vegas; Orlando ). It's rare for a city itself to disappoint me.

But... There was Richmond, Virginia. I was taking a trip through the south with my mother ( a HUGE southern history buff ), and after an amazing two weeks first in Savannah, and then Charleston, we had high hopes for visiting Richmond. Let-down doesn't even begin to describe it. The only good thing about Richmond was the surrounding countryside ( undoubtedly very pretty ). The city itself was a sprawl-town with dead city core, little history left, and the Civil War museum was tiny and sad. Such a waste - we could have had two more days in either of its far superior southern sisters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
ditto on the st. louis arch. If you are claustrophobic in any way - do not go on this!! Cool to look at, did not like going up there.

I am not a world traveler, but worst so far: Orlando FL. Even the chain franchises restaurants are more horrible than if they would be anywhere else. Maybe there are good restaurants to eat there but I doubt it. Best food is in DW. Gang bangers hanging out in the parking lots, security guards stationed in the parking lots of the hotels on Fri and Sat nites, not a comforting thought. Maybe we were just in the wrong part of town, but it was a heavily touristed area, that was pretty ridiculous I thought.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
ditto on the st. louis arch. If you are claustrophobic in any way - do not go on this!! Cool to look at, did not like going up there.

I am not a world traveler, but worst so far: Orlando FL. Even the chain franchises restaurants are more horrible than if they would be anywhere else. Maybe there are good restaurants to eat there but I doubt it. Best food is in DW. Gang bangers hanging out in the parking lots, security guards stationed in the parking lots of the hotels on Fri and Sat nites, not a comforting thought. Maybe we were just in the wrong part of town, but it was a heavily touristed area, that was pretty ridiculous I thought.
Really? What part of Orlando did you stay at? I'm thinking about going again as I did enjoy my last trip but don't wanna be around areas frequented by gang bangers.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:36 PM

255 posts, read 694,968 times
Most of the Mid-west, no edgy feeling in any of that large general area. One trip to Missouri is enough for anyone. Iowa? Kansas? Nope.

Give me the West Coast, the Southeast, or the Northeast.

I've never been to the Pacific Northwest so no opinion re that area.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 PM

7,369 posts, read 5,483,693 times
We used to belong to a travel group in the 90's and early '00's and went on a cruise every year. We went to the Bahamas one time, can't remember exactly where we were but it was near the cruise port. Anyway, we went to the straw market and tourist shopping area. I was really disappointed and feared for my life somewhat. The people selling stuff were really aggressive and women were touching our hair trying to talk us into getting our hair braided.
One man became enraged because we didn't buy anything from him and started screaming and yelling at us. We ran away from him as fast as we could!
So I would not recommend the Bahamas unless you were staying at an all inclusive or at Atlantis on Paradise Island.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 PM

15 posts, read 33,538 times
It was disappointing to visit Memphis last year. I had visited the place many times but somehow my last visit was not very amusing. I don't know why I felt it but I think I won't be returning to the place for another year now. And Sheffield UK was not amusing much either. With only the university there was nothing much of a heritage.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:58 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
Boston area. We couldn't get out of there fast enough! Thought Salem was a low rent, Disneyesque tourist trap and Providence, R.I was a pit.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:01 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,789 times
I'm a High school senior, so I'm not as well traveled as many people here, but from my international travels (Israel, England, Dom. Republic, Mexico) I enjoyed all.

So I'll do domestic....

Greenville, NC - Definition of white trash. Was there for a college visit, it sucked. Oh, and they rejected me, so..... (its ok though, I got two acceptance letters from better schools since than)

Scranton, PA - Didn't really have high hopes, but it was boring. I went to a mall there once, only eventful thing I remember.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Singapore & Miami probably because i thought i would really love it before i came there. My expectations were just to high, both were kinda boring & overpriced.

After seeing movies/shows like Scarface, Miami Vice etc. i always said i would want to live there one day but after being there I saw you have to be really rich in that place to enjoy life to the fullest.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:06 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Boston area. We couldn't get out of there fast enough! Thought Salem was a low rent, Disneyesque tourist trap and Providence, R.I was a pit.
Out of curiosity, did you visit anywhere else in the Boston area besides just Salem and Providence? What neighborhoods of Providence did you visit? I'm guessing you probably weren't in College Hill.

Although "Disneyesque" might be a bit strong (I know urban developments in Los Angeles that are far more artificial than the historic center of Salem), a lot of people agree with you that Salem is a tourist trap and that many areas of the city are run-down (well, not all).

I really hope you will visit the Boston area again and visit some other locations. Marblehead, just next to Salem, is many times nicer. Newport is a much more attractive destination than Providence, although Providence has some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods if you know where to look (the view from the highway doesn't exactly flatter the city).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel