Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 PM

168 posts, read 518,459 times

Advertisements

I really did not like Paris. Seems to be very dirty for such a "romantic" city.

I actually enjoyed Phoenix. There's a lot to see and do there.

Glasgow is nasty, but I was warned to expect that while visiting friends there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
What really turned me off about Tijuana initially was 1,000 Cab Drivers asking me for a ride for many many blocks ! I would say no, then another would ask , so my first FOOT stepped in Mexico was the experience of being hassled for a taxi ride...

I felt the Tijuana part that I saw was very dirty. I felt maybe a few things could have been done to make it more livelier and attractive.

The souveniers were abundant though but not very well made. ( I realize there might be very nice Souv. there but I didn't get to see many of them )

Would I ever go back ? NO. Once was enough.

I would like to try Puerta Villarta ( Spelling ) and a few other Mexico cities ...

Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 PM

68 posts, read 201,218 times
Ok, if you're talking vacations then the worst for me was Riviera Maya (Mexico) - basically a sewage pit adjacent to a beautiful ocean. Yeah, there were some neat things but overall what a tremendous let down.

If you're talking 'places in general' then the vote would have to go to extreme northeast Arkansas, say the 50-75 miles along I-55 just south of the Missouri state line....just a real bad place to be IMO!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:17 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I get a kick out of the Atlanta traffic mentions. When we went to Florida last year we were repeatedly warned that the drive through Atlanta would be the worst part of the entire trip. We were told to expect delays, and that sitting in traffic on the freeway was the norm.

We breezed right through with only one slowdown at a particularly complex intersection of ramps and freeway.

Sometimes you have to get lucky I guess.

To anyone visiting Omaha: go to Old Town and roam around. For a good restaurant (a bit expensive) try M's Pub - Omaha, Nebraska

If you stay out west it's just another mid-sized city full of malls.

And, no, I'm not from there, but I do visit.
It is not going through Atlanta where you get killed although the 75/85 Connector is hell at rush hour. The horrific traffic is going AROUND Atlanta on 285. Yes, at 4AM it is probably OK. Between 6AM and 10PM weekdays it is to be avoided like a disease!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
When I drove through Atlanta ( about 8:30 am ) BIG MISTAKE ! My car sat for 45 minutes in traffic that moved about 2 feet every 4 minutes , lol !

On the return through Atlanta around 2:00 pm , you hit this huge maze of MESS ! But it was not as bad as the morning commute.

It seems MILLIONS of people live right there on the freeway ! LOL ..I have drove through alot of cities but NEVER have I encountered so much traffic.

Is there any way around this ? In case I want to drive to get to the Gulf Coast again ? My friend who lives in Ga told me that was the only way to get anywhere ..yikes...
I have a neighbour that commutes from here about 21 miles to Norcross to work. She leaves at 6AM to reach the office by 8AM. She drives a Mustang that has a 5 speed and says that some days she never gets past 2nd gear all the way. That is 2 hours to drive 21 miles.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I have a friend that has made around 20 multi month trips to Mexico over the years and he says in Mexico avoid Tijuana and any other border town as the crime and filth is overwhelming and he's not big on any of the known tourist areas either in the rest of the country.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:09 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
he's not big on any of the known tourist areas either in the rest of the country.

even Vallarta? c'mon, doesn't he finds PV fine ? and if so, why not ?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:25 AM

845 posts, read 2,831,719 times
[quote=Dd714;13621344]Hated the Delhi region of India - filthy, polluted, endlessly dust covered, disorganized, crowded, depressing, confining.... and this is coming from a person that is experienced in visiting 3rd world countries usually, and spent some very enjoyable time in the similiarly cultured Nepal.

To Poster Dd 174: That's interesting, because author Richard Reeves (Paris-based columnist for Travel and Leisure magazine) said that Kathmandu, Nepal was the filthiest city he had ever seen (in his book "Family Travels - Around the World in 30 Days").

Last edited by slowlane; 04-16-2010 at 06:21 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 AM

845 posts, read 2,831,719 times
[quote=KevK;13712025]For me it was Raleigh North Carolina. It sucks.

KevK, did you visit the N.C. Science Museum, beside the state capitol in Raleigh? It's considered the best science museum in the southeast, and has free admission, and free parking. The Raleigh-Durham metro area is one of the highest-educated in the USA. The suburb of Cary, NC is headquarters to the nation's largest privately-owned software company (SAS), has a high quality of life, and had its own special article in National Geographic magazine, several years ago.

Last edited by slowlane; 04-16-2010 at 06:19 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 05:25 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Some of the most disappointing places I've visited is where my expectations grew wildly out of proportion, from reading all the great raves about a certain place, seeing all the pictures. The longer I waited to finally see these particular places, I was oftentimes letdown when I finally visited there.
And, God forbid, if you should arrive there on a rainy day or it's cold, cloudy and windy. That happened to me when I first went to Rome, Paris, Amsterdam and London.

Yet, at the same time, I've stumbled upon cities, areas where I hadn't researched, perhaps read of very bad reviews of the place, or just went there out of curiosity, and was bowled over. Eamples: Kathmandu, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, La Paz, Bolivia.

Even if you went to San Francisco the first time, and you picked a time when it was unusually rainy, cloudy, cold, you might very well change your flight reservations and hightail it out of there, never to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel