Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:29 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times

Advertisements

it's funny how the human mind works--some people are deeply traumatized and disturbed by war and others have no qualms at all about the destruction and carnage they help cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
The sickos who do bad crimes--there probably is a reason for them to get capital punishment. Whoever gives the injection/whatever else is just fulfilling their sentence--it's not personal. It's their sentence that has to be carried from the courts.
War is a different ball of wax. Soldiers have a job to do. That's war--there shouldn't be any "true" guilt--they have no choice. But, regardless of even knowing that, they suffer internally because most humans have a conscience. As a child, you're taught killing is wrong. As a soldier, they have to turn that idea off in their head. It's very heartbreaking and I feel nothing but empathy for their situation.
Obviously some criminals deserve to die and if someone has no qualms about delivering their punishment then fair dos, I personally couldn't kill someone unless it was self defence or they done something bad to someone close to me. But there will always be someone willing to take up the job as state executioner thankfully!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
it's funny how the human mind works--some people are deeply traumatized and disturbed by war and others have no qualms at all about the destruction and carnage they help cause.
Young people fight wars and end up carrying the scars ... as far as helping the cause that is for another debate ... look at Vietnam now ... look at Iraq our troops are pulling out ... watch Iran.

You use the term 'expire' ... my daughter is in the medical profession and uses that term too ... she doesn't say 'they died!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Obviously some criminals deserve to die and if someone has no qualms about delivering their punishment then fair dos, I personally couldn't kill someone unless it was self defence or they done something bad to someone close to me. But there will always be someone willing to take up the job as state executioner thankfully!
I support the death penalty and the people that actually handle the deed are aware of their job duties. If they can't handle it they need to pursue another line of work. Law enforcement, military, prison officials all should know in their work they could possibly end up having to kill another person.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM

That was my point.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:05 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
I've shot two men before in Iraq but am not sure if they expired..did not stick around to verify.

I don't feel bad about it at all and never think about it except when I am in a bar telling stories.
Maybe you got lucky and they did not die.

People, even in war situations, when you are almost forced into a situation to kill against your will, even these seem to have problems.

I don't know. I am not a believer in organized religion but I do think we continue on and I suspect there may be more going on here than just someone's conscience.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, to the warden, though he believes the people on death row are guilty, it is a self depleting thing to have to sign those death warrants.

To the Mexican drug gangs killing the innocent is a source of power for them, personally.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I support the death penalty and the people that actually handle the deed are aware of their job duties. If they can't handle it they need to pursue another line of work. Law enforcement, military, prison officials all should know in their work they could possibly end up having to kill another person.
After police kill someone they have to go through counseling, and they are trained to do so, and they are killing bad guys who might kill them - in spite of all this, they need counseling and it is a trauma for them.

I think people go into professions where they have to kill others knowing that they can handle it and only later do they find the toll it takes on them. There are some things that psychological talking will not erase and once the deed is done, it's done and haunts you.

People, in war see friends torn apart, they are in horrible situations, but it is only when they take a life that they face the greatest horror, it seems. You would not think so. The armed forces does a great job in convincing them who the enemy is. They think killing is justified, yet they still go through post traumatic stress. This, I think, is a very deep thing and goes beyond psychological tricks that the mind plays.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM

I knew a boy who went to my school who killed someone in a fight. He was set upon by 3 guys he fought back and 1 of them fell and hit his head, it was caught on cctv and he was found not guilty (although he spent time on remand) I haven't seen him since he has cut off all contact with his group of friends, and I have been told he is now on heroin it sounds like even though he was only protecting himself it has really effected his life.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
I always here 'Man was made in the image of God'...

Not nessicarily an exact physical image, but like phycological image...the conscious and all that...heart, love, rage, ect ect...

I need to be careful how I write this so that I don't confuse myself or others to what I'm asking or implying...

So I'll just get to the meat of my thought, and go from there...

'God doesn't seem to have a problem with death or dying, so why does man?'

Ok there, I said it...now I can better deal with that raw thought that came to mind as I was reading other posts...

Everyone who survived the Titanic, is now dead...everyone who survived WWI...is now dead...

Whether you get excuted or not...you die...
Executioners from 200 years ago, those who carried out state punishment...are now dead...

Dead just seems to be the end game no matter what you do.

Heck, the life span of some insects is less than 2 days...after two days, they die....

In the old testiment, God wanted to practically wipe out whole villages, animals, kids, adults, to clear a path for Isreal...
He also wiped out the whole planet with the flood...
Sodom and Gamorah with fire....

And again i go back to 'Lets make man in our image'....

From reading the bible, I see Gods image, ways, and moods are very wide....

Sometimes 'god' says, or said 'kill', then other times 'god' said 'forgive'...

Just seemed to depend on circumstance, time, and season....

So if man indeed is created in the image of 'god'...than like god...

Maybe to it is with man....maybe within each person, community, society...

There is a time to 'punish' a time to 'kill', a time to 'love', and a time to 'forgive'....

Because God himself did all those things...

I don't know...just searching like the rest of you...

Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 PM

You been smoking a doobie!? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime