Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:28 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times

Advertisements

I am thinking that perhaps some of the relief fund could be for additional counseling perhaps? Granted, at this current time between the resources of the Red Cross, spiritual counseling being provided by the respective religious leaders and a school counselor [let's not forget one of the murdered adults was the school counselor], there may well be a need for longer-term counseling/support for those kids and not all insurance companies pay for it and/or have a cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,853 times
Just saw on my local news the shooter and mother used to live in the next town over from me, before they moved to their CT home, such a reminder that we all come so close to people that could do such things without even knowing it.
I weep for those parents.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I just saw an article about a relief fund for the parents of the child victims. I am confused why they would need financial relief?

I could understand if the adult victims with spouses and children who relied on their income needed financial assistance, and I can understand a low-income family needing some money for a funeral, but aside from that, I am not clear on why parents of a young child who died would need large amounts of financial assistance.

Maybe people just want to help, and sending a check is a symbolic gesture. Perhaps the more well-off families will start a foundation or otherwise donate the proceeds. It's an affluent community, so I understand your confusion.

There are some things to be learned from this terrible crime, outside of all the politics and gun control.

He broke a window and unlocked the door to get into the school. That's the first thing. When they design schools in the future, they need to make sure that it's not that simple when the doors are locked.

My son attended a preschool here in town that was designed like a big, hollowed out square. In the center of the square was the playground and children's garden. There was no way to access that area without going through the building. It did not feel like some kind of lock down facility as all the classrooms had windows on the side of the building that overlooked the playground and garden. I felt he was very safe there, yet it was still a pleasant environment.

It's sad that we even have to consider security when building elementary schools, but it's a reality we have to face. Mercifully, these things don't happen very often.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,853 times
It's just so hard to design buildings taking into account everything an evil doer could dream up to hurt us, but I get your point NLVGal

Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lee View Post
Check out the overall history of school shootings in the US:

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It started as early as the 1700s.
There were 10 in the 1800s.
There were 21 from 1900 to 1930.
There were 12 in the 1940s alone.
The 1950s was busy with 19.
Things started to slow down in the 1960s with 12.
In the 1970s it was down to 5.
It was back up in the 1980s with 19 again.
The 1990s had 17.
Starting to decline again in 2000s being down to 12.
So far, 2010s have 6 that all happened in 2012.

As you can see, it isn't on the rise. It's pretty much been this way our entire lives except for the 1970s.

The US isn't the only country that has school shootings.

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I do not see, that it isn't on the rise. First that Wikipedia article is poorly compiled, and hard to read. Anyways, all of the early cases were incidents where a student had an issue with a teacher, and took a handgun to school and killed the teacher. One student killing one teacher. Thats hardly relevant to what is happening today.

Its not the amount of incidents that increasing, but rather the amount of deaths, because of the type of weapons being used. Here are some number I got form the Wikipedia article. Just from reading through it, one time. I haven't double checked these numbers, so there are probably a lot of mistakes, but here is a general idea.

1900s 7 (7 dead)
1910s 2 (2 dead)
1920s 3 (40 dead)
1930s 9 (11 dead, 3 wounded)
1940s 12 (14 dead, 4 wounded)
1950s 19 (15 dead, 5 wounded)
1960s 11 (36 dead, 35 wounded)
1970s 14 (27 dead, 49 wounded)
1980s 18 (23 dead, 137 wounded)
1990s 18 (39 dead, 89 wounded)
2000s 14 (61 dead, 58 wounded)
2010s 7 (34 dead, 4 wounded)

Again I know these numbers are not accurate. But no matter how you look at it, the number of deaths in school shootings are skyrocketing. This is going to be the most deadly decade for school shootings ever. And all the crying, praying, and handholding is not going to be able to stop that from happening.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Quote:
I just saw an article about a relief fund for the parents of the child victims. I am confused why they would need financial relief?

I could understand if the adult victims with spouses and children who relied on their income needed financial assistance, and I can understand a low-income family needing some money for a funeral, but aside from that, I am not clear on why parents of a young child who died would need large amounts of financial assistance.
Maybe I can answer this...life does "go on", and people still have to go to work, but if there is a fund that can help out these families, if the parents want a week off of work, and maybe just have jobs with no benefits, so common these days, or maybe they need counseling and medication, and have no health insurance. Or maybe they just need some money to fly Grandparents in for a funeral. Some folks don't have a lot of funds...

Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I think it's a mistake to force therapy, therapy and more therapy on these kids. Not all of them are going to be traumatized -- scared, yes, but not traumatized -- and the key thing is to help them understand whether they do need help and where to get it if and when. They need to get their lives back to normal as much as possible and be given a choice about whether they need help -- not be dragged into a counseling office by the scruff of the neck. And I'm speaking to you, typing at you I mean, as a shrink who specializes in trauma work. Even families of the murdered children are likely to need good social support, not therapy.

I'm interested in the stat I read about U.S. school shootings vs. the ones in Finland. they are close behind us in the number of school killings sprees even though we have 300 million people and they have about 5 million. What is that about?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to pose this question, but i'm assuming that the families of the slain are 'accepting donations' from American citizens, im not sure what funds have been set up, so, here's my question.

I'm assuming that there are funeral expenses for the slain children, but other than the funeral and burial expenses, what other expenses are there?

I have a gut feeling that the outpouring of support from a financial perspective is more than going to be enough, i was just wondering if there are any other expenses that i'm not thinking about?

Other than burial and funeral, what would the families need money for?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to pose this question, but i'm assuming that the families of the slain are 'accepting donations' from American citizens, im not sure what funds have been set up, so, here's my question.

I'm assuming that there are funeral expenses for the slain children, but other than the funeral and burial expenses, what other expenses are there?

I have a gut feeling that the outpouring of support from a financial perspective is more than going to be enough, i was just wondering if there are any other expenses that i'm not thinking about?

Other than burial and funeral, what would the families need money for?
Time off of work to grieve, maybe a professional service to clean out the child's room, and therapy for the parents and siblings - especially siblings that were also in the school - are a few things that come to mind. Maybe some of them need help with moving expenses so they can move to another district so that their other children can get a fresh start.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 PM

139 posts, read 170,141 times
Quote:

I am glad you brought this to light.

John Engle, the father of Olivia Engle , Has hired a PR firm. He also set up A personal PayPal account for donations, the PR firm is setting up all sorts of fundraiser events in N.Nevada where his company is based out of. They have set up Fundraiser cans at some stores . A lot of stores are NOT getting involved saying Mr. Engle should be helping the poor people not asking for money.

People who live in near Carson City/ Reno / close to the company he works for are confussed. As to why they are doing HEAVY pumping for seeking funds for his daughter. A local resident who worked for the sail company Engle works for said Mr. Engle is a High ranking exec and a multi millionaire. Than Engls fb appeared an the family are very show-eee with the elaborate lifestyle they live. They own a Bentley that they brag about on Fb and 2 yachts one they keep in USA in CT and one they keep at the home in the South oF France in the Riviera.

lastly Mr. Engle had mentioned in a live new program that he was already in Talks with simon and shuster for a book deal regarding the children who were killed. and the money for that would go half to the families and the other half to St. Judes. Hospital.

IDk...... if this happened to a Rockefeller would we send them money? He is not a Rockefeller but he is A multi millionaire.

I by no means want to sound sour or rude or disrespectful. But I am baffled as to why they need money and are doing a hard fundrasing campaign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime