Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:41 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Hard to believe that this crime occurred nearly three years ago and is still unsolved.

Elisa Lam Drowned in a Water Tank Three Years Ago, but the Obsession with Her Death Lives On | VICE | United States
But it has been solved. There was no crime. It was ruled accidental and the case is closed.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:08 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
But it has been solved. There was no crime. It was ruled accidental and the case is closed.
You're joking, right? So you think that she climbed up there herself and "fell" into the water tank?

"Assuming one could get onto the roof undetected, Tovar said that you would first have to climb up to the platform the tanks sit on, then squeeze between them and other plumbing equipment. There, you'd find another ladder, which you could use to climb onto one of the four cisterns. Each has a heavy, metal lid, which you'd need to be able to open before you could get inside."
Cecil Hotel Employee Explains How He Found The Body Of Elisa Lam: LAist

Old 10-30-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
You're joking, right? So you think that she climbed up there herself and "fell" into the water tank?

"Assuming one could get onto the roof undetected, Tovar said that you would first have to climb up to the platform the tanks sit on, then squeeze between them and other plumbing equipment. There, you'd find another ladder, which you could use to climb onto one of the four cisterns. Each has a heavy, metal lid, which you'd need to be able to open before you could get inside."
Cecil Hotel Employee Explains How He Found The Body Of Elisa Lam: LAist
No, I'm not joking. And no, I don't think she "fell" in, I think she climbed in deliberately. But if you're suggesting with your quote that it would've been physically too difficult for her to do that, what do think happened? Another person carried her up there and dumped her? Wouldn't that be twice as difficult and therefore even less likely?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I think she climbed in deliberately.
She climbed into a water tank deliberately? And her clothes were floating at the top of the tank when her body was found? There's too much that's suspicious about this case. It seems very unlikely that there was not someone else involved.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:57 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,661,178 times
She was bi polar. I think her mental illness played a big part. Either she was have a psychotic episode or someone killed her. The video of her in the elevator does look like she could have someone interacting with her outside of the camera range.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
She climbed into a water tank deliberately? And her clothes were floating at the top of the tank when her body was found? There's too much that's suspicious about this case. It seems very unlikely that there was not someone else involved.
Yes, she climbed in deliberately and drowned accidentally. This was a young woman with a serious mental illness and, I believe, suffering from a psychotic/paranoiac episode. It's clear to me from the video that she is trying to hide/get away from some perceived threat. One that didn't actually exist. She tried in vain to get the elevator doors to close then fled down the hall, toward the roof access or the fire escape, whichever she used. So she climbs to the roof, still looking for some place to hide. And there sits a water tank.

I really don't see anything suspicious about this case at all. There was no trauma to the body; no evidence to suggest there was anyone else involved.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
This was a young woman with a serious mental illness and, I believe, suffering from a psychotic/paranoiac episode.
How did she get to the roof without setting off alarms? How did she open the supposedly locked roof door? How did she manage to close the lid of the water tank from the inside? If she truly was having a psychotic episode, how did she get to the roof undetected?

Old 10-31-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
How did she get to the roof without setting off alarms? How did she open the supposedly locked roof door? How did she manage to close the lid of the water tank from the inside? If she truly was having a psychotic episode, how did she get to the roof undetected?
I'm not convinced that the roof access was locked or alarmed. The hotel claimed(after the fact, for obvious reasons) that it was both. For the sake of argument, let's presume it was. At the end of the hallway, she could've stepped out the window and been on the fire escape. From there, climb one story up(10-15 feet) and she's on the roof; no locks, no alarms, no cameras.

Closing the lid would be easy enough, assuming the tank was full. She's floating near the top and desperate to hide. She reaches up and flips it closed. More likely, another maintenance worker saw it open the previous week and closed it without bothering to look inside.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Closing the lid would be easy enough, assuming the tank was full.
And opening the lid? The lid must have weighed quite a bit, from what these pictures show.
Official: Woman accidentally drowned in LA hotel water tank - Photo 8 - Pictures - CBS News
and
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ater-tank.html

Last edited by CA4Now; 10-31-2015 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-31-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't know exactly what the lid weighed. I can only assume that it was designed to be easy enough for the average person. If one is particularly small or weak, it may have been more difficult, but not likely to be unmanageable.

I'm trying to hear you out, but is it your contention that she couldn't have possibly opened that lid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime