Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 06:42 AM

565 posts, read 672,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
There is a reason why in EVERY SINGLE CITY in north america, homicides spike come spring... in 2013, NYC had many days without a single murder due to the cold... So you are the silly one... People do not have the will to stay outside when it is like -20 + windchill thus feeling like -40 with icy side walk, freezing noses and stuff... but I can care less about what you think
Montreal got very few very cold days this winter compared to previous years, so your theory doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Weather alone doesn't explain why there have been no murders at all in Montreal (and only 2 in the province of Quebec) since the year started.

And although there are indeed more people outside during summer, the cold doesn't scare people up here, we still go out. A few examples: Igloofest, Montréal en lumières, Carnaval de Québec, Nuits blanches à Montréal, Cabane Panache et bois rond.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:02 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Montreal got very few very cold days this winter compared to previous years, so your theory doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Weather alone doesn't explain why there have been no murders at all in Montreal (and only 2 in the province of Quebec) since the year started.

And although there are indeed more people outside during summer, the cold doesn't scare people up here, we still go out. A few examples: Igloofest, Montréal en lumières, Carnaval de Québec, Nuits blanches à Montréal, Cabane Panache et bois rond.
He's being deliberately obtuse.

Yes, murders tend to be lower in number during the cold weather months. But they don't generally completely disappear.

Otherwise how do you explain that Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, etc. still have murders during the winter?

Ottawa has the exact same climate as Montreal and it's had 5 murders so far in 2016.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:04 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Cool good site. One of them was from 2015 though and I don't believe the baby has been officially ruled a homicide, even though it probably should.
Is Mass cities out of Boston like Ct cities ?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Roughly 1.5m
OK thanks. Trying to get a handle on how that compares to Toronto, which is now at 18 BTW.

Toronto police patrol area (which that 18 homicide number covers) has at least 2.6 million people.

Boston's always been a very safe American city, but its homicide rate unless I am mistaken has always been somewhat higher than Toronto's.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK thanks. Trying to get a handle on how that compares to Toronto, which is now at 18 BTW.

Toronto police patrol area (which that 18 homicide number covers) has at least 2.6 million people.

Boston's always been a very safe American city, but its homicide rate unless I am mistaken has always been somewhat higher than Toronto's.
I believe Boston is higher, yes, although homicide rates are very touchy since no matter where they happen they're still very rare.

In Boston 99.992% of people manage NOT to get killed each year, and that's not including tens of millions of daily visitors.

In Detroit 99.957% of people manage not to get killed each year.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I believe Boston is higher, .
Yeah, the total number of murders in the city proper is comparable: generally in the 40s for Boston and the 50s for Toronto in recent years.

But the city proper population is very different: 655,000 for Boston and 2.6 million for Toronto.

Although if you added all the smaller municipalities "close in" to Boston I am not sure the murder total would skyrocket that much... would it?

Things can change of course during the year but at the current pace the media in Toronto are saying the city is on track for around 100 murders in 2016.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
, although homicide rates are very touchy since no matter where they happen they're still very rare.

In Boston 99.992% of people manage NOT to get killed each year, and that's not including tens of millions of daily visitors.

In Detroit 99.957% of people manage not to get killed each year.

Agreed.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:17 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, the total number of murders in the city proper is comparable: generally in the 40s for Boston and the 50s for Toronto in recent years.

But the city proper population is very different: 655,000 for Boston and 2.6 million for Toronto.

Although if you added all the smaller municipalities "close in" to Boston I am not sure the murder total would skyrocket that much... would it?

Things can change of course during the year but at the current pace the media in Toronto are saying the city is on track for around 100 murders in 2016.
If you added those municipalities near to Boston it would not add many murders to the total, as my list demonstrated earlier. It is very difficult to compare Boston to a city like Toronto because they are laid out completely differently. If Boston went through an amalgamation similar to Toronto it would add many urban cities with low or non existent murder rates and seamlessly blend into the core city as they do already.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
If you added those municipalities near to Boston it would not add many murders to the total, as my list demonstrated earlier. It is very difficult to compare Boston to a city like Toronto because they are laid out completely differently. If Boston went through an amalgamation similar to Toronto it would add many urban cities with low or non existent murder rates and seamlessly blend into the core city as they do already.
That's what I suspect as well.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
I think most places have very safe suburban areas.

I know Chicago is an example of this. Take away Chicago and you have 138 murders for 6,700,000 suburban people, or a rate of around 2.0/100,000. It's even more extreme than that if you think that around 75% of the city's murders happen in areas with 25% of the population.

Then it would be:

Suburbs+Stable Chicago: 245 murders for 8,735,000 or 2.8/100,000
West+South Chicago: 323 murders for 676,000 or 47.8/100,000

It's like a perfectly safe Toronto metro area, and then smack the city of Detroit onto the side of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime