Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:08 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,749,276 times

Advertisements

Here's a pic of the Solar Panels in the parking lot at Oro Valley Town Hall. fyi

Certainly seems like a good idea.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Here's a pic of the Solar Panels in the parking lot at Oro Valley Town Hall. fyi

Certainly seems like a good idea.
Yes indeed. It's most definitely a "Duh! Why didn't we think of that earlier?" moment.

Ken

Old 02-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yes indeed. It's most definitely a "Duh! Why didn't we think of that earlier?" moment.

Ken
My thoughts exactly when I saw it !

Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 AM

461 posts, read 861,994 times
Default cool article

check out the list at the end of the article!!!!:

Solar system on carport parking will help power VA hospital here

If I get the job, I will be working at the VA also!!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 AM

135 posts, read 342,285 times
There are numerous farmers markets held all over the Tucson area on different days of the week. The best-known and perhaps largest is probably at St. Philip's Plaza on Sundays. (I always pick up fresh Asian lime life for cooking Thai food.)

Also, the Santa Cruz market (Speedway just west of I-10) just gets better, depending on the season. That one is held Thursdays from 3-7 p.m., usually. What I love about the Santa Cruz market is that they have a co-op where backyard gardeners can sell excess produce by dropping it off ahead of time - and earn a little extra cash. And everything is organically grown, of course.

And, there are a growing number of community supported agriculture farms in the region (CSAs). That's where you pay upfront for a share and then pick up your produce over the next three months or so. I did that once but it was a little too much for me at the time.

Best of all, you can garden virtually year round. There are quite a few community gardens around town, even in the urban areas. I just joined one last fall at Stone and Speedway and it's really easy; everything you need - except seeds - is onsite.

p.s. my houseplants do fine as long as I water them regularly. I bring the cold-sensitive plants inside during the winter, so my house looks like a jungle right now.

p.p.s today is bright and sunny with white puffy clouds and a light breeze. Yesterday the cloud cover was heavier - and dare I say almost dreary? lol.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
For Tucson: Sonoran Permaculture Guild - resource links
^Great links on that page

There's a Phoenix permaculture website too: Valley Permaculture Alliance
^These people are way cool, hold great meetings and events, don't know about Tucson but I'm certain it's the same story.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 PM

339 posts, read 833,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbell6 View Post
There are numerous farmers markets held all over the Tucson area on different days of the week. The best-known and perhaps largest is probably at St. Philip's Plaza on Sundays. (I always pick up fresh Asian lime life for cooking Thai food.)

Also, the Santa Cruz market (Speedway just west of I-10) just gets better, depending on the season. That one is held Thursdays from 3-7 p.m., usually. What I love about the Santa Cruz market is that they have a co-op where backyard gardeners can sell excess produce by dropping it off ahead of time - and earn a little extra cash. And everything is organically grown, of course.

And, there are a growing number of community supported agriculture farms in the region (CSAs). That's where you pay upfront for a share and then pick up your produce over the next three months or so. I did that once but it was a little too much for me at the time.

Best of all, you can garden virtually year round. There are quite a few community gardens around town, even in the urban areas. I just joined one last fall at Stone and Speedway and it's really easy; everything you need - except seeds - is onsite.

p.s. my houseplants do fine as long as I water them regularly. I bring the cold-sensitive plants inside during the winter, so my house looks like a jungle right now.

p.p.s today is bright and sunny with white puffy clouds and a light breeze. Yesterday the cloud cover was heavier - and dare I say almost dreary? lol.
Any of those Farmer's Markets near the Ina Rd. & Oracle area?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
Any of those Farmer's Markets near the Ina Rd. & Oracle area?
There is also a Oro Valley Farmers Market every Saturday morning 9-1 at the OV Town Hall (shaded parking now too with solar panels as noted above!) Located at Naranja / La Canada

The St Phillips Farmers Market is not all that far from Ina/Oracle either, it is on Sunday at River Campbell

Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Default Another Cool Article

36 hrs themed Tucson article/slideshow:

36 Hours in Tucson, Arizona - NYTimes.com

Old 02-20-2011, 12:31 PM

It really is looking like AZ for me!! I hope to turn in my list today or tomorrow.

I had another dumb question...even if it has been answered before...don't be mad please.

-Does anyone get sick of the sun???
-Is it so damn bright all the time that it is hard to "make an environment" whether it is in your house or in a bar....?? (Sorry if that is a dumb/poorly phrased question).
-Are there any dreary slow days? Where you don't see much of the sun? And it can be a lazy sunday with some slow moving stratus clouds?

Thanks for the info again!

I hope to enjoy Tucson if I get into the surgical program!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson