Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM

59 posts, read 89,880 times

Advertisements

I had room darkening curtains for my bedroom..but I live in Tn now and I do the same...lol. But here in the winter you use that to keep the warm in..lol.

I never got sick of the sun..I love the sun..and here in Tn the sun is different..most days are partly cloudy anyways..i always thought before I had moved to Arizona that TN had sunshine etc..but then I realized that most days it comes and goes...and there are usually clouds rolling thru as well.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 PM

461 posts, read 861,715 times
If I do move to Tucson, of course it will be with an open mind....and I don't ask this question in an offensive way, but:

Will I be able to do 3 years in Tucson even if I absolutely hate it? LOL

Old 02-02-2011, 05:01 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
If I do move to Tucson, of course it will be with an open mind....and I don't ask this question in an offensive way, but:

Will I be able to do 3 years in Tucson even if I absolutely hate it? LOL
I'm assuming your question is somewhat rhetorical. If not, why ask? You already know that the answer can only be answered by you.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
well now it seems like you're worrying too much about this or taking it too seriously (though I know med school/residency is serious).....you've been here before...you know what it's like here...there are a ton of med school/residents here...in fact, two of the ten units in my little townhouse complex have, you guessed it, residents living in them (they own their places and it's a half-mile from UMC).....the med school is highly regarded, you know, but one med resident who lived in my complex a while ago couldn't wait to get out because Tucson wasn't sophisticated enough for her

get down here again and look around...go for a walk around the UA, 4th Ave., Congress St., pick up a copy of the Tucson Weekly ( the "weekly"), join a meetup, get a cup of coffee at Raging Sage, grab a great sandwich at Beyond Bread......

yeah, Tucson is not Portland, New York, Boulder, or Paris....not a wealthy town....but lack of pretentiousness can be a sign of security and self-confidence...(you were concerned about trashy aspects of Tucson)....

Old 02-03-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
well now it seems like you're worrying too much about this or taking it too seriously (though I know med school/residency is serious).....you've been here before...you know what it's like here...there are a ton of med school/residents here...in fact, two of the ten units in my little townhouse complex have, you guessed it, residents living in them (they own their places and it's a half-mile from UMC).....the med school is highly regarded, you know, but one med resident who lived in my complex a while ago couldn't wait to get out because Tucson wasn't sophisticated enough for her

get down here again and look around...go for a walk around the UA, 4th Ave., Congress St., pick up a copy of the Tucson Weekly ( the "weekly"), join a meetup, get a cup of coffee at Raging Sage, grab a great sandwich at Beyond Bread......

yeah, Tucson is not Portland, New York, Boulder, or Paris....not a wealthy town....but lack of pretentiousness can be a sign of security and self-confidence...(you were concerned about trashy aspects of Tucson)....
Perhaps I am worrying about this too much?
It is just a combo of career, relationships, geography, etc. And it really will set a trajectory for me.

I don't think Tucson is "trashy." I just want a little bit of life in what will otherwise be a hectic work schedule for me. A nice museum would be great (I went to one last night with friends after a nice drink). Or even a nice lounge?
How do the med residents do? Are they married? Single? Do you know?

I just also broke up with a girl who was the love of my life. Missed out on a really intelligent girl.
I want to make sure that there is a "scene" in Tucson for young professionals/intellectuals. After all, everyone wants to find someone...

Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Don't move to Tucson from Chicago. There is very little to do here after college. There is a reason that most of the people graduating from the UofA leave immediately after finishing school.

There is a very small professional class of young,educated people in this city. Most of the people in their 20's are either in college or poor. The only decent size company in this entire region is Raytheon. And that just means that there aren't many opportunities for people that don't work in Defense.

Also, the city is horribly managed. There is literally almost no infrastructure development. I honestly can't think of a city of almost 1 million people that has invested in their infrastructure less than Tucson has. It's not progressing at all. Rio Nuevo has turned out to be a complete joke. They haven't been able to make any real progress in 10 years!

I am out of here as soon as I finish grad school, along with almost all of my peers.

This is a town you move to when you are ready to die. So if that's not you, do yourself a favor and stay in Chicago.
This is a post from 2008. Any thoughts on this? Pretty harsh review.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 AM

532 posts, read 1,177,062 times
I enjoy monsoon season because it's a change of pace from bright, sunny days :P And if you want blackness in the daytime, black-out blinds are a must (especially is you work nightshift at the hospital). Sleep masks work just as well for less money though.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
This is a post from 2008. Any thoughts on this? Pretty harsh review.
Just senselessly bitter. I don't really understand where people get this idea that an area can only sustain itself if it has one, enormous employer of everyone? Maybe because it worked out so well for cities like Gary, Pittsburgh and Detroit? Who needs economic diversity anyway?
And the fact that he brings up the lack of freeways thing says to me this is someone that just doesn't get the lifestyle here. Not everyone does. Those people can leave. Seriously. If everyone who came to college here stayed, I can't even imagine how many people we'd have living in Tucson and that would just erode the quality of life.
I don't mean to rag on the Midwesterners too much, but you get a lot of them coming out and trying to tell you how much better it is back in the Midwest and how they should be doing things here like they do there. They're not as bad as the Californians with the number of individuals, but they're more persistent and pervasive with it. And, you know what, I've been to most of the Midwest and I think it kinda sucks. I like the people out there, but I just could never see myself living there, just because of the weather, the economic situation, the cultural stagnancy.
Every place has its goods and bads.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
Just senselessly bitter. I don't really understand where people get this idea that an area can only sustain itself if it has one, enormous employer of everyone? Maybe because it worked out so well for cities like Gary, Pittsburgh and Detroit? Who needs economic diversity anyway?
And the fact that he brings up the lack of freeways thing says to me this is someone that just doesn't get the lifestyle here. Not everyone does. Those people can leave. Seriously. If everyone who came to college here stayed, I can't even imagine how many people we'd have living in Tucson and that would just erode the quality of life.
I don't mean to rag on the Midwesterners too much, but you get a lot of them coming out and trying to tell you how much better it is back in the Midwest and how they should be doing things here like they do there. They're not as bad as the Californians with the number of individuals, but they're more persistent and pervasive with it. And, you know what, I've been to most of the Midwest and I think it kinda sucks. I like the people out there, but I just could never see myself living there, just because of the weather, the economic situation, the cultural stagnancy.
Every place has its goods and bads.
Yeah it seems like there is a double pronged culture there ---- seems like a lot of "hate" from locals on Californians/Midwesterners and vice versa. The non-locals seem to want to "change Tucson" with more roads, blander houses, and green grass.

And the cultural stagnancy of the midwest? I don't see too much cultural vibrancy in the southwest either though, no offense. Just being objective.

I just don't think Tucson will be my ideal place to live, but as I mentioned, I will make the best of it and have a nice 3 year transitional point before I move to a more "cultural city" or a city perhaps with mild climate. I just need to be in Tucson to open some career gates for me.

It is a HUUUUGE move for me, and it is the first MAJOR transition point in my life. I just lost the love of my life, and am starting a career for the first time in my life, in a new city. I have never lived away from family.

Every place does have its goods and bads..hopefully I can settle myself into the good parts of the city.
I am leaning towards Tucson. I hope Tucson will be kind to me and bless me with the courage to face other life challenges.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM

532 posts, read 1,177,062 times
Well, after 6 pages of this thread, and your other thread, you have info to work with. I'm sure the places you have choices of going to want an answer very soon as well. Nobody says you have to stay here past 3 years. These 3 years will be about work, plain and simple. What is best for your future career? Your choice in residency. The VA and UMC are top hospitals in the country. You need to choose academically, and socially should come 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson