Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 07:17 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,535,447 times

Advertisements

I don't BELIEVE it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
That final song was fab.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,723 times
Spoiler
Ya gotta believe it if you've watched Idol for any period of time. The field is littered with people that nobody heard of, and never really will again. Idol is about TV ratings and in-show ads, not the contestants. It's a popularity contest. Obviously, given the results of past years, the Voters do Not buy music.

On the plus side, people who appreciate music find the best people, and they BUY their music.

Joshua will do fine.

After listening to P2 tonight, I just had to laugh a little bit.

Seeing Tyler's face tonight said it all. Al the judges realize what a fraud they helped perpetrate.

Re-visit this 2012 thread in a couple of years, it will become self-evident.

Last edited by Sun Thinker; 05-17-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
x

Last edited by catfancier; 05-17-2012 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think you may have to eat your words in the future. It wouldn't surprise me if "the system" chewed up and spat out Jessica and Joshua (not to say that they're untalented, very far from it) but that Mr Phillips will prove to be a major musical force in the years to come. In my opinion the latter are great singers, Phillips is a musician.
I have the utmost respect for Phillips as a very strong musician and talent in a certain niche. I like him as a person as well, humble and nice.

I seriously doubt he'll be a force on his own. If he can write decent songs, that'd be great. But I still think he'll be a minor player in an alternative sound niche.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:46 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Sun Thinker, since you're still here -- will you please put post 2043 in the spoiler captioning (as requested earlier by one of the mods)? The West Coast hasnt seen the results yet.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
You mean by using the Save? Don't know that she's a "fraud" per se, but she certainly would have been sitting in the stands along with the other cast-offs, which is where I would have preferred her to be.
I think people are getting a it caught up in what songs the contestants sing, as opposed to their pure natural ability. While I don't like certain genres, I can certainly appreciate great talent. IMHO, and it's a strong one, anyone that doesn't think Jessica and Joshua are By Far the best singers, and the most flexible, doesn't really understand, feel or hear music.

So far, my favorites amongst Idol contestants, are doing so much better than the so-called winners it's not even a close race.

There are those that appreciate, and BUY superior talent and good music, and those that devote their interest to idol. Different strokes for different folks. It's fairly sad though, and indicative of what's gone wrong with the industry in general. If you allow a bunch of fan clubbers and teeny boppers to choose a winner, you get what you get. Take a look at the scorecard from the last several years, that's the real vote.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 PM

Catfancier, change the quote?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:39 PM

693 posts, read 1,041,124 times
Default Not surprised, but disappointed

Spoiler
Not a big surprise tonight. In past seasons, with exception to Rubin Studdard and Clay Aiken, the top vocalists who should have made it into the top two didn't. Just look at Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, and Adam Lambert (although Lambert made it into the top two, he didn't win) to name a few. Someone said it is a popularity contest. I agree, but I think voters did a better job this season at keeping the really good ones in the contest. It also helps that this was one of the best Idol seasons ever regarding the talent of the contestants. However, I have to say I was shocked that Joshua didn't make it. He will do fine though.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
JLo must be so happy about Lisa Presley's performance. Now JLo is no longer the worst celebrity singer on AI this season.

And I agree that Adam's performance was terrible. However, I've never been a fan of his so I'm not surprised.

Spoiler
I had hoped to see Joshua and P2 in the finals -- and P2 for the win, although I suspect it would have been close. I think America has just given the win to P2 (for which I'm very happy...I've been on P2's bandwagon since Hollywood Week).
I can't decide whether to fall out of my chair laughing or just click up some grinning smilies....

Ms. Presley's act was deader than her old man. I had to go wash dinner dishes as an excuse to miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV