Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 10:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

So, how about that episode? Whitehall is a total sicko.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 05:19 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
There was so much information in that episode I will have to watch it again.

But it was good. It's the most compelling show I'm watching this year.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:58 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Well, if we weren't sure before that Ward was irredeemable, we can be sure now.

But I can't really understand why the ratings are still declining show after show.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, if we weren't sure before that Ward was irredeemable, we can be sure now.

But I can't really understand why the ratings are still declining show after show.
I don't know why unless it is because the first season really picking up with the T.A.H.I.T.I. episodes. But I don't know why that would effect them too much.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:42 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't know why.
Probably because the show isn't all that special. Don't get me wrong. It is way better than Season 1 and getting better all the time. But as for the general premise of the show? It's nothing we haven't seen on shows like Mission Impossible, ALIAS, or even CHUCK --- all shows that also struggled in the ratings.

"Mission of the week" spy shows just don't seem to attract much of a TV audience these days.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Probably because the show isn't all that special. Don't get me wrong. It is way better than Season 1 and getting better all the time. But as for the general premise of the show? It's nothing we haven't seen on shows like Mission Impossible, ALIAS, or even CHUCK --- all shows that also struggled in the ratings.

"Mission of the week" spy shows just don't seem to attract much of a TV audience these days.
I guess, perhaps I am sucker with it being a Marvel show but I am not normally into these mission of the week spy shows. That or I just love Clark Gregg as Coulson.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:54 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

It's not the size of the audience that puzzles me, but the steady decline.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:03 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's not the size of the audience that puzzles me, but the steady decline.
Well, I can only speak for why the show sometimes fails to hold my attention:

Most of the plot conflicts are macro rather than personal. We know "something" is going on both with Colson and the main young girl whose name escapes me. But it hasn't really wreaked any havoc in their daily lives. Thus, there's no real tension building. The tension is a VEEEEEEERY slow burn that hasn't had any real consequences so far.

"Villain of the week" and/or "mission of the week" shows grow tiresome after about the third or fourth mission. I'd much rather the conflicts concentrate 100% on the lives of the characters rather than saving the world.

The overall conflict --- alien DNA and HYDRA trying to conquer the world --- is so far "out there" that it doesn't really resonate with the daily lives of the audience.

The Whedonesque dialogue really clangs on the ears.

If I were in charge of the show, I would sit the writers in a room, absolutely forbid them from watching shows like ALIAS, Person of Interest, or the Blacklist. Instead, I would make them watch shows like Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, or The Wire, where the larger conflicts of the plots wreak havoc on the intimate lives of the characters. Make every conflict personal, even if it's about saving the world or discovering lost alien cities. And I would tell the actors, "You're about to get killed in this scene. It's okay to seem at least a little afraid. Not everyone can be Bruce Lee. Be human now and then."

Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 AM

I don't agree with the above. Agents of Shield isn't a Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Sopranos or The Wire, it had its own defined rules in that it is not in the real world, it is in the Marvel Earth 19999999 world where the movies are as well. Can there be crossover between the modern world and this world yes but it is a defined universe thanks to the movies. I feel that helps and somewhat ultimately hurts them because if you don't see the movies in time with the show, you will get lost. I mean if you watch the Thor and Captain America crossovers without seeing the movies, you may get lost. If it wasn't marvel, I think this show would be done this season even though I am enjoying the time and the who works for who and what the motives are. I think the connections between the characters are lost on some fans. I guess I was like that last year when I paused on the series after the holiday break. Thankfully it got a LOT better.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,880 times
I don't watch any of those movies and don't follow the comics either. I don't think they have to pattern the show all that closely after any certain shows or movies or comics. Creativity and originality are important to me. It can be based loosely on other things, but copying too much is lazy and boring! During parts of Season 1, they did sometimes get lazy and a bit boring!I like the characters, but of course just having them hang around and talk constantly about their lives wouldn't work...this is an action show, so there has to be stories and action, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV