Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 03:22 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times

Advertisements

I like what I've seen of the tv show (including the first episode of season 6) so far. At least in the aggregate, but parts of the show are just dreadful. The Ayra storyline really suffers from the lack of the Hound. The assassin guy is cool, but too removed. Either way, I'm just not as interested.

The whole Dorne thing strikes me as odd. They bring in the guy who played Doctor Bashir on DS9, then had him say 3 lines all of last season or something like that... and then kill him. What a waste...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:23 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I like what I've seen of the tv show (including the first episode of season 6) so far. At least in the aggregate, but parts of the show are just dreadful. The Ayra storyline really suffers from the lack of the Hound. The assassin guy is cool, but too removed. Either way, I'm just not as interested.

The whole Dorne thing strikes me as odd. They bring in the guy who played Doctor Bashir on DS9, then had him say 3 lines all of last season or something like that... and then kill him. What a waste...
The whole Dorne storyline has been kind of disappointing to me. I get the impression that the showrunners initially had bigger plans for Doran Martell and Areo Hotah, but after the season was over last year, they revamped the storyline and now
Spoiler
we have the violent coup with Martell and Hotah getting offed.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:08 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterIsWarmThisSeason View Post
All great points, and I agree with most of them. I did enjoy season 5, though I'll admit it did seem to drag at times. It seems ridiculous that Tyrion and Daenerys took so long to finally meet. I thought their scenes were great, which is one of the reasons I don't like rehashing the Dothraki angle. It seemed like Daenerys and Tryion were just getting warmed up, and then off she goes...

I really hope the highlighted portion is true because to me it's starting to feel formulaic and somewhat predictable. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's been great overall, but too many storylines haven't seemed to have progressed much.

The is especially true of the White Walkers. To think they've been fairly prominent since it started, and not much has really happened with them. As much as I enjoy the Knights Watch/Wildlings dynamic, it's taken way too long bring the White Walkers and Army of the Dead more the the forefront.QUOTE)
I couldn't agree more. There is a lot of dead meat and potatoes to expand on in this story line.

Last edited by Pawporri; 04-29-2016 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,356,933 times
I have to admit I was a little bored (!!!) with this first episode, although I understood that they were laying the framework for the rest of the season.

I agree about seeing Dany with the Dothraki again. It feels like a repeat of the same storyline, like she hasn't gone anywhere in all this time. And I am totally not interested in the Dorne storyline or its characters, although I guess they are including it as one of the Seven Kingdoms. I am most excited about the Stark children and their stories, Castle Black and Jon Snow (still hoping the Red Woman can revive him), Dany and her dragons, Tyrion and Varys, and the White Walkers.

For right now I am being cautiously optimistic, but I suspect the writing is going to suffer now that it is being written freestyle without the benefit of GRRM or his books.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:09 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
Wasn't she blinded also because she stole a face to wear as disguise when she committed the murder of the guy on her 'kill' list?
Didn't Jacn h'gar say that you must be no one to wear a face....if you are someone a face is poison to you. Arya is still Arya Stark, with all her desire for revenge still in place.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:25 PM

34 posts, read 26,943 times
Part of the Dorne story line was based on old history that was not included in GoT series--
A princess and her children were killed by the Lanisters I think
I don't remember the specifics because I thought it just wasn't that interesting when it was inserted in season before last...

And how long before Jon Snow starts to get funky...

Old 04-30-2016, 06:37 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxNative247 View Post
Part of the Dorne story line was based on old history that was not included in GoT series--
A princess and her children were killed by the Lanisters I think
I don't remember the specifics because I thought it just wasn't that interesting when it was inserted in season before last...

And how long before Jon Snow starts to get funky...

During the rebellion which made Robert the King. He had killed Rhaegar the son of King Aerys in battle. The Lannisters has held themselves out of the rebellion although Tywin was and old friend of the King. Sort of.

Tywin led his army to King's Landing where King Aerys, thinking he was there to help, allowed the army in.

Jaime killed the King (whom he was supposed to protect)while Gregor Clegane (The Mountain) killed Rhaegar's wife, Ellaria who was from Dorne and a sister of Oberyn and Doran, after raping her and also killing their two children.

I don't know why the Dorne storyline veered so much. I will say that adapting all the divergent story lines from the books would take years. There are incredibly detailed. Many of the characters and stories have been completely cut or changed unrecognizably.

In the books Stannis wins his first battle with the Boltons. Doran in Dorne has been plotting revenge against the Lannisters for Ellaria's death since it happened. Oberyn's visit to King's Landing was part of that revenge.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:27 PM

34 posts, read 26,943 times
Thanks--
But that is why the Dornish King was assassinated--He refused to try for vengeance for Ellaria's murder under the Lanisters---she thought he was nebbish--no right to be king

Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post

Agree; and am annoyed because of the waste of the time and considerable talents of Alexander Siddig. I just hope he was very well paid.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:07 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
My hope is that tonight the action begins. Last season
the "Thrones Thread" was full of posts thru Episode 6
of how they were building the character stories and that
big things will happen next week.
I don't want to wait til Episode 7 or 8 for the "Big Stuff."
I am not a patient person........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV