Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 12:54 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times

Advertisements

No more Sparrows.
No more religion at all, please, SO BORING!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 01:06 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
No more Sparrows.
No more religion at all, please, SO BORING!!!!!

Except religion is an integral part of the story, even Arya's.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,316 times
I'm wondering about Hodor, the story line has been set that something "happened" to him. I wonder if he know the truth of Jon's birth and something was done to him. It would be heartbreaking if one of the Starks hurt him to conceal the truth.

On the other hand, I wonder if Bran can "heal" him.

A quick note about Dorne. In the books, Dorne was about to attack Kings Landing from the south. I think that is where the story is going to go. With all out war in the south, the North and it's troubles will be forgotten, which will allow allot to happen there without intervention. I think that Ramsay will quickly find himself without allies.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:49 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I'm wondering about Hodor, the story line has been set that something "happened" to him. I wonder if he know the truth of Jon's birth and something was done to him. It would be heartbreaking if one of the Starks hurt him to conceal the truth.
If I had to guess, you're reading too much into it. Wyllis was probably kicked by a horse (he's a stable boy), and had severe brain damage.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
If I had to guess, you're reading too much into it. Wyllis was probably kicked by a horse (he's a stable boy), and had severe brain damage.
Haven't read the books so just speculation--but that might not be worst explanation
Hodor/Wyllis seemed a good sort and apparently all the Starks' vessels respected their lords so would be likely to try to protect them if they were threatened...
Bran can certainly go into Hodor but guess he thought there was nothing worth examining....
If he could use Hodor's memory to find out Jon's parentage that would be interesting and valuable knowledge...

Will what happened to Jon bring him back as less than he was?
I saw the episode couple of seasons ago when the man who had the power brought back someone and that person seemed just fine--but there was not a long break between the dying and reviving....

I guess "magic" is magic--in the sense that if it can bring the dead back to life with just spells and personal power vs the "experimenting" used for Cersi's revived warrior then maybe the magic wipes away any problems--like dead, embalmed, decayed bodies being awakened when Christ comes at Judgement Day--Christians are supposed to have all evidence of death and decay eradicated...

Old 05-02-2016, 06:03 PM

677 posts, read 653,525 times
Loves2read the person brought back was Berric Dondarion, and in the books it is explained that although he had been brought back several times, each time he was less himself, he seemed to be losing his humanity in some sense. There is also another very prominent character (books and show) who was brought back in the books but (at least thusfar) not in the show and that person was vastly different after their raising.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Favorite meme of 2016 so far:

https://www.facebook.com/SawdustFilm...7927171797757/

We are at ultimate chaos here. Nearly every single region of Westeros has been turned upside down due to traitorous acts/kinslaying/general bad ish going down. At the moment, the only two areas at relative peace are The Eyrie/Vale (granted bad ish went down there but for now, the heir is safe) and the Westerlands/Lannister home front (Kevan Lannister has been portrayed as being pretty competent but his son/possible only child, Lancel, has been caught up w/ the Sparrows). Several major houses have basically been destroyed: The Baratheons, the Martells, the Balon branch of the Greyjoys, technically the Boltons (he will always be Ramsay Snow to me). Good time for some ice zombies or dragons to swoop in (though Dany has got her own problems...).

I'm glad that Sansa now knows that Arya, Bran, and Rickon are all alive (for now). She went from thinking her whole family was dead to now realizing that's not the case. I hope she meets up with undead Jon and they team up to find Bran and Rickon and restore Winterfell (
Spoiler
maybe throw in Davos and get the Manderly/"the North Remembers"/Frey pie plot line in here after all?
).

I find it mildly ironic that the religion causing the most havoc in Westeros is, at face value, the most ineffectual. In this episode alone, we've seen what the Old Gods can do and have seen what the Red God can do, but the Seven seem weak and as soon as someone reveals this, the Sparrows are going to lose power quick (I know, easier said than done).

I have a theory about Hodor/Willas: I wonder if he went down to Kings Landing with Lord Rickard and Ned's older brother, Brandon, and witnessed their murders? Maybe something was done to him and he came back to Winterfell like that?

I hope that undead Jon has slightly less honor than Ned and Rob and realizes that, technically his watched has ended and Jon Snow did indeed die. Now he is free to go kick butt as Jon Snow/Jon Stark
Spoiler
/Jon Targaryen
and help reclaim Winterfell and leave Castle Black for the wildings to protect against the White Walkers.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except religion is an integral part of the story, even Arya's.
Yes, but in reading the books it feels more like "mythology", and thus more palatable than religion.

I did read that "religion" will be a theme in all of the storylines this season - but I hope it is presented more as mythology.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:05 PM

677 posts, read 653,525 times
The story of the Sparrows is not one of religion in my view though at all. The heart of that conflict is not the religion, which both sides at least give lip service to, the heart of the conflict is the needs of the many/the people, versus the abuses of the wealthy/nobility. In that sense it mirrors many of the movements in our modern day and i find it very intriguing and interesting.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:02 PM

No, I disagree. The Sparrows v Lannisters in Kings Landing storyline is one of two very small groups of powerful people who are vying for absolute power in different ways, with both manipulating their followers (the "many"), in various ways. And yes, as I'm sure the writers intend, this does reflect current American politics.

I like my fictional religion in the form of pretty fantasy mythology like the one eyed Raven, and "the old gods and the new", and not personalized in the form of a High Sparrow and Nuns (oops, Septas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV