Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,419,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, even though Martin has said that her surviving Drogo's funeral pyre was a one off due to magic, in the Dunk and Egg series ("Egg" being a young Aegon V, Maester Aemon's younger brother, while he was around 12 or so), it's mentioned how Egg never sweats no matter how hot it is and how he always seems cold even when no one else can move because of the heat and sits closer to the fire than any one else can.
With GRRM's version of Daenerys, she survived the fire that hatched her dragons as a 'one-time thing', due to the blood magic involved, caused by including a witch as part of the pyre's sacrifice.

But the TV show diverges significantly from the book series in many ways. In this specific case, it appears that HBO Daenerys, for whatever reason, is immune to fire (but apparently, her clothes aren't - it is HBO after all). And I'd propose that HBO Daenerys is aware of this immunity, otherwise she wouldn't have immolated the temple, resulting in her own death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:43 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
So who is the largest army in Westeros?
I wonder too........

Now I believe HBO will move to an alliance of Dany and Jon Snow.
I don't keep track of the Wildings but they had some large numbers.

The other fact I recall was the last Episode of Season 5 where the Dothraki
cavalry were covering the hills where they captured Dany. The numbers
of mounted horsemen in that scene could have surpassed 40K, IMO.
And they are all cavalry...

Jeff and Astro seem to have a better grasp of the data due to their book knowledge.
Any thoughts you two ? And Clark, you could chime in here anytime........

Old 05-17-2016, 05:49 PM

212 posts, read 417,897 times
Were all the wildlings and giants gathered at Hardhome and then most of them zombified or are there still some bands out in the mountains beyond the wall?

Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
Were all the wildlings and giants gathered at Hardhome and then most of them zombified or are there still some bands out in the mountains beyond the wall?
Accoridng to the last episode the forces at Jon's disposal was paltry 2,000 hardly enough to lay if you go by old school force ratios, Jon would need a least another 13,000 before even thinking about going after Ramsey. But Dany's forces the Wilding and the remnant of the nights watch plus the Iron Island folks should do the trick. Don't forget the remnants of the Seven Kingdoms of the North, House Arryn, the House Durrandon or did they just get wiped out with poor Robert?

Does Dany know how to make an entrance or what? Which is interesting because Emilia Clarke swore that she wasn't going to do any more nude scenes.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:45 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Accoridng to the last episode the forces at Jon's disposal was paltry 2,000 hardly enough to lay if you go by old school force ratios, Jon would need a least another 13,000 before even thinking about going after Ramsey. But Dany's forces the Wilding and the remnant of the nights watch plus the Iron Island folks should do the trick. Don't forget the remnants of the Seven Kingdoms of the North, House Arryn, the House Durrandon or did they just get wiped out with poor Robert?

Does Dany know how to make an entrance or what? Which is interesting because Emilia Clarke swore that she wasn't going to do any more nude scenes.

And Kit Harrington said he wasn't coming back. I call these the "good lies."

Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I don't think she ever swore them off altogether. I think she and several of the main cast members objected to the silly, gratuitous nudity they were being asked to do.

"Okay, so in this scene we're on the veranda discussing trade policy and a possible alliance with a southern house. Why do I have to be naked and rubbing myself with oil while we talk?"

I don't object to nudity onscreen if it develops plot or character. But many, many scenes in early seasons of Game of Thrones were just silly and stupid with the nudity. It went beyond even gratuitousness into ridiculousness. Some of the scenes looked as if a fourteen-year-old boy had written them.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:01 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
I wonder too........

Now I believe HBO will move to an alliance of Dany and Jon Snow.
I don't keep track of the Wildings but they had some large numbers.

The other fact I recall was the last Episode of Season 5 where the Dothraki
cavalry were covering the hills where they captured Dany. The numbers
of mounted horsemen in that scene could have surpassed 40K, IMO.
And they are all cavalry...

Jeff and Astro seem to have a better grasp of the data due to their book knowledge.
Any thoughts you two ? And Clark, you could chime in here anytime........
Tormund said he has 2,000 warriors at the Wall. There could be other wildlings in other locations, though. Sansa said the Boltons claimed around 5,000 before they fought Stannis.

From westeros.org:

Fully mustered armies at the start of the first book - A Game of Thrones would be about:

The Reach (The Tyrells) has somewhere in the 80,000 to 100,000 range, plus arguably the strongest fleet outside of the Iron Islands.

The West (The Lannisters) have somewhere around 50,000

The Vale (The Arryns) have around 45,000

The Riverlands (the Tullys and now Freys) also have around 45,000

Dorne (Martell) claim to have 50,000, but really have around 25,000

The Stormlands (Baratheons) have around 30,000

The North (Starks) have 40,000 to 45,000 but can rarely muster that many because the North is so spread out. (the includes Boltons, Karstarks, Umbers, Mormonts, Reeds and Manderlys)

The Iron Islands have about 20,000, including 500 ships. Though, most are smaller than the Tyrell ships.

The Crown lands around King's Landing can muster 15,000, not including the 2,000 Gold Cloaks.

So far in the wars, only the Vale and Dorne have not suffered significant losses.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Is the Vale sending soldiers to help Sansa? I think she has an ally in Littlefinger, and Robin is her cousin. It sounded like they were, but some of the posts here make me doubt that I jnderstand what's going on.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
In the books Edmure is alive, as is the Blackfish, who is a wonderful character that the show so terribly misses out on. Also, the Stark kids could be seen as heirs of a sort if the male lines were killed off.
Isn't Edmure in Walder Frey's dungeon since the Red Wedding? He had left after the ceremony to consummate his marriage and was imprisoned instead. I do get confused between the books and the show when so many seasons have passed and dimmed my memory.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:19 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Is the Vale sending soldiers to help Sansa? I think she has an ally in Littlefinger, and Robin is her cousin. It sounded like they were, but some of the posts here make me doubt that I jnderstand what's going on.
It certainly looks that way. But if this show has taught us anything, it is: Don't ever trust Littlefinger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV