Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times

Advertisements

Saw this on NYTimes site
Has comment from Michael Williams “Omar” of “The Wire”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...th=login-email

Don’t know exactly how the “ranking” works when commentary varies...
But if you have access it is interesting read
I never watched “The Shield” but may give it a try after reading what this article has to say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Saw this on NYTimes site
Has comment from Michael Williams “Omar” of “The Wire”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...th=login-email

Don’t know exactly how the “ranking” works when commentary varies...
But if you have access it is interesting read
I never watched “The Shield” but may give it a try after reading what this article has to say
Thanks, that was an interesting read. Here is their list of (in their own words)...

These are the 20 best drama series to emerge since “The Sopranos,” arranged in chronological order. For the sake of focus and sanity, Mike Hale, Margaret Lyons and I limited our debates to American series TV drama. What is American? (Shows made specifically for the United States TV market rather than acquired.) What is a series? (Shows that were meant to continue more than one season.) What is TV? (What isn’t, these days? Anything broadcast, cable or streaming was fair game.)

Oh, yeah: What is “best”? It’s not “most influential” (sometimes great art is inimitable) or “most widely praised” (a cop-out). Here, it’s the subjective, rough consensus of three humans, each with different tastes and priorities, after argument and bargaining. It ain’t science. The final judgment, while hopefully well-informed, is no more inherently right than yours.

The list:

The West Wing
The Shield
The Wire
Battlestar Galactica
Deadwood
Lost
Veronica Mars
Grey's Anatomy
Friday Night Lights
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Good Wife
Adventure Time
Enlightened
The Americans
Rectify
The Leftovers
Transparent
Jane the Virgin
Atlanta

Old 02-07-2019, 08:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Thanks, that was an interesting read. Here is their list of (in their own words)...

These are the 20 best drama series to emerge since “The Sopranos,” arranged in chronological order. For the sake of focus and sanity, Mike Hale, Margaret Lyons and I limited our debates to American series TV drama. What is American? (Shows made specifically for the United States TV market rather than acquired.) What is a series? (Shows that were meant to continue more than one season.) What is TV? (What isn’t, these days? Anything broadcast, cable or streaming was fair game.)

Oh, yeah: What is “best”? It’s not “most influential” (sometimes great art is inimitable) or “most widely praised” (a cop-out). Here, it’s the subjective, rough consensus of three humans, each with different tastes and priorities, after argument and bargaining. It ain’t science. The final judgment, while hopefully well-informed, is no more inherently right than yours.

The list:

The West Wing
The Shield
The Wire
Battlestar Galactica
Deadwood
Lost
Veronica Mars
Grey's Anatomy
Friday Night Lights
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Good Wife
Adventure Time
Enlightened
The Americans
Rectify
The Leftovers
Transparent
Jane the Virgin
Atlanta
that is a good list. I have seen and loved many of them.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Was surprised to see “Jane the Virgin”—not because it is not a good show but I consider it more comedy than drama
But admittedly I haven’t wanted all episodes and it does have serious slant...

I tried to watch “Rectify” several times but was like watching paint dry...

Thanks for posting that it is a chronological ranking vs quality ranking
I, too, have seen and respect most of them on the list...

Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 PM

Only seen eight. Of the remaining twelve, I wish I had time to watch:

The Shield
Veronica Mars
Friday Night Lights
The Good Wife

The remaining eight I have no interest in watching.

I'm in the middle of a Soprano's re-watch now. The first series I've revisited. Ever. Certainly in the last twenty years or so. There is so much new stuff to watch, I've never taken the time to re-watch anything. But HBO ran a marathon about a month ago to celebrate 20 years since The Soprano's premiered. I watched the pilot, and was as hooked now as I was 20 years ago.

So in between keeping up with my ongoing, current series, I'm trying to watch a few Sopranos every week. I'm averaging one a day.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:28 PM

17,774 posts, read 9,221,778 times
The Shield is a great series. You'll be hooked after episode 1.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The Shield is a great series. You'll be hooked after episode 1.
Thanks. I've heard so much about it over the years, and seen it on so many Top Ten lists. As an inveterate TV watcher, I'm looking forward to seeing it one day!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,548,409 times
Happy to see The Shield is available on HULU. Plan to start watching tonight......

Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,862,682 times
I just finishing watching the Wire, first time. It's a brilliant show. Omar is something else as a character. Lots of great acting and writing.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 PM

The Wire is a series that (like others) could stand to be analyzed and discussed in a college classroom in variety of study fields...
And to me it is interesting that Baltimore as the source and location for the story did not benefit one iota from the truth of the series...
Meaning none of the insight as to the failure of the various systems profiled in the series were taken up as causes of social justic by any agency or person or political group or citizen group that managed to make any kind of difference...at least from what I read in the news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV