Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:21 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
This show came out before we reached the heights of PC, in my opinion. I never gave it a second thought about the number of black parts. I just assumed it accurately reflected the Baltimore police force and the city in general. Plus the fact that I didn't recognize any of the actors at that time made the characters seem more real to me. And man, did I love Bunk!
But did we really reach PC heights though, compared to back then? If you watch a show like Game of Thrones, for example, they throw PC out the window today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 01:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Like the police captain chewing out the main cop, like we've seen so much before in other fiction, even when the cop didnt' even do anything that was that big of deal, yet they have to make the captain a drama Queen, which is a cliche that goes all the way back to Dirty Harry at least. Things like that, do not make it seem that original so far, but we'll see.
You only watched the pilot episode, right? That's the joke. We're supposed to initially feel bad for McNulty because he's getting hassled by a mean boss. Usually that's a cue in cop shows that the cop is on the right track and his superiors have their heads up their butts - that's the cliche. But if you keep watching, it quickly becomes very clear why all McNulty's superiors hate him.

Quote:
The problem with realism, is that the more realistic you go, the less dramatic and crazy the situation can be.
You need to crack some history books!

Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You only watched the pilot episode, right? That's the joke. We're supposed to initially feel bad for McNulty because he's getting hassled by a mean boss. Usually that's a cue in cop shows that the cop is on the right track and his superiors have their heads up their butts - that's the cliche. But if you keep watching, it quickly becomes very clear why all McNulty's superiors hate him.

I loved the ending of the first season when McNulty ends up of a boat, exactly what he didn't wanted. Then in the next season he charts the tides and determines that the dead bodies came from his old boss's territory. Good stuff.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:

You need to crack some history books!
I watched the pilot was well as some other episodes here and there but cannot remember the exact titles. My cousin loves the show, and says the reason why the captain is such a drama Queen is because

SPOILERS

It turns out he is actually gay, and he is having issues with that. But I don't think that it brings anything new to the angry police captain cliche, just by putting a gay spin on the cliche. But maybe I need to watch more.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:04 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
I watched the pilot was well as some other episodes here and there but cannot remember the exact titles. My cousin loves the show, and says the reason why the captain is such a drama Queen is because

SPOILERS

It turns out he is actually gay, and he is having issues with that. But I don't think that it brings anything new to the angry police captain cliche, just by putting a gay spin on the cliche. But maybe I need to watch more.
The production ran counter to the old gay trope's of our history. Best seen in Omar being the most feared man on the streets and the gang members surprise upon finding out a gay man was doing so much damage to their operations.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Ironically, after posting the other day I ended up deciding to finally buy a new hard drive for my broken down Dell pc, Amazon was the place that had it for a decent price. So I thought, why not just get Prime for a month to get the free 2-day shipping so I can also watch The Wire. Selection has gotten better since a few years ago in my opinion. Probably would have cost me $7 or $8 anyway for shipping so I basically halved the price of Prime.

Since then have watched two episodes and like it quite a bit. Original air date was 2002 and most shows that old don't age well, but that one has. I'm just getting started and looking forward to getting at least a full season in before my month of Prime expires. That incompetent cop that accidentally shot the wall his first day with the unit probably isn't going to last long, and his end will probably be violent, not a peaceful firing. Just a hunch. He's certainly been set up to be very disliked by the viewer. Good series though.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:

SPOILERS

There's a scene midway through the series where we viewers can infer that Rawls is gay but nothing ever comes of it plot-wise and the other characters either don't know or don't care, because they never comment on it. One might surmise that some of his hypermasculine posturing is a cover, but it's also possible he's just a boor.

He's not a drama queen, he's understandably exasperated. He's very career-driven and McNulty is undermining him. McNulty is a good investigator but a ridiculous human being.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
There's a scene midway through the series where we viewers can infer that Rawls is gay but nothing ever comes of it plot-wise and the other characters either don't know or don't care, because they never comment on it. One might surmise that some of his hypermasculine posturing is a cover, but it's also possible he's just a boor.

He's not a drama queen, he's understandably exasperated. He's very career-driven and McNulty is undermining him. McNulty is a good investigator but a ridiculous human being.
Yeah I get that, it's just I have seen this so many times before in police dramas and it just becomes really cliched and formulaic after so many times.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
That incompetent cop that accidentally shot the wall his first day with the unit probably isn't going to last long, and his end will probably be violent, not a peaceful firing. Just a hunch. He's certainly been set up to be very disliked by the viewer.
Hee. You're either in for a treat or going to be infuriated, or possibly both. Poor stupid Pryz.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah I get that, it's just I have seen this so many times before in police dramas and it just becomes really cliched and formulaic after so many times.
Again,

a)You're watching something groundbreaking from 2002. They're not trope followers, they're trope originators. If something from The Wire seems familiar, it's probably because programs since then have copied it.

b)They're playing around with the cliche "rogue cop/hardass captain" dynamic, not embracing it. You've only seen the establishing scenes, not the story arc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV