Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

The Wire has been remastered in HD and available free with Prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 09:36 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
One of the things that made the Wire really extraordinary compared to most scripted dramas, IMO, was how purely character driven it was. Every character, major or minor, had his or her own goals and motivations and the plot grew naturally from how those goals clashed or aligned. I think it's part of why the show felt so honest and realistic (along, of course, with the showrunners' deep research and experience, and the show's frequent use of local community instead of regular actors), because that's how life works. It's not a story populated with characters, it's characters growing their story.

Also, this scene is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E

Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
So I don't get what's so special about this show special as it really seems like average stuff we have seen so much before, unless I am wrong?
The Wire came out in 2002. It's one of those shows that's been much imitated by other TV and films, with varying degrees of success.

There are occasional shows and movies that deeply influence the language of cinema, and sometimes when one goes back and watches them decades after the fact, it's hard to place in context how innovative and original they were at the time, because they've been echoed ever since.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The Wire is definitely more than an average Cop Drama that anyone can figure out who did what in about 15 minutes. It's like reading Shakespeare instead of Mad Magazine. You had to pay attention as a lot of the clues were visual and not always stated. I realized that Bubbles' white buddy, Johnny, wasn't around and wondered what happened to him. Had to go back and got found a 4 second segment showing him lifeless with a needle in his arm, no other mention. All the characters, Bunk, Stringer Bell, Bubbles, Omar, Ziggy, were all excellent. Good to see so many of the actors doing well.

The last season in particular was interesting to me when they got the press involved. They had a political reporter with years of experience that knew every official in town. He was replaced by a college newbie that don't know a thing. Same thing happened to my cousin in Boston. Part of that story was a stretch, but it really described what was going on in newspapers all across the country.

Again, what shows DO you like? Scooby Doo?
Re your comment about final season—-the removal of seasoned investigative reporter for cheaper newbie
We are seeing in today’s media a similar swath of retrenching in online media
And you can be sure that if there are replacements they will be less experiences/lower cost part-time writers who likely go on a piece pay basis...

The woman who has been following Guantanamo since it became a holding pen for terrorists is getting the chop
Now that story line is not as important as it has been but her knowledge is deep and it will be gone

Going to happen in other areas as well
And we are all partly responsible for it by wanting cheaper news
I pay for subscription to NYTimes and had one to WaPo but get most of my news off the air even though I do read
Many people read only what is posted on FB and don’t care what the real source is...

Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
One of the things that made the Wire really extraordinary compared to most scripted dramas, IMO, was how purely character driven it was. Every character, major or minor, had his or her own goals and motivations and the plot grew naturally from how those goals clashed or aligned. I think it's part of why the show felt so honest and realistic (along, of course, with the showrunners' deep research and experience, and the show's frequent use of local community instead of regular actors), because that's how life works. It's not a story populated with characters, it's characters growing their story.

"Day at a time, I s'pose."

Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The scene where McNulty and Bunk use one bit of profanity in variety of inflections for over 10 minutes is one of the top 10 scenes in tv...
See if it is on YouTube or some other platform—
Awesome for how the writers and the actors could use inflection to totally modify perception
OMG I had forgotten about this scene until you mentioned it. Great great scene.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:11 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase. Its all the game though right" With Judge Phelan's amused shrug

Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

S1 E4 I believe from previous post I made
It is just superlative combination of acting, directing, and the use of a knowledge of how people—real people—use profanity that is both timeless and an icon of its era...

Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 PM

465 posts, read 303,987 times
Definitely one of the six or seven shows in my rewatch rotation. You cannot give up on the first episode and have a credible opinion. (Yes if it wasn't popular or talked about how it's one of the real treasures I would've given up in the first fifteen minutes). It's different and the realism in the show is what's so enjoyable.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:01 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times
Oh okay, I started watching it so far, but I think the realism works against the show, because, no one is allowed to do anything to crazy, cause they are limited by the reality of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV