Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:47 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Again,

a)You're watching something groundbreaking from 2002. They're not trope followers, they're trope originators. If something from The Wire seems familiar, it's probably because programs since then have copied it.

b)They're playing around with the cliche "rogue cop/hardass captain" dynamic, not embracing it. You've only seen the establishing scenes, not the story arc.
Well it's just that the hardass captain/rogue cop, goes all the way back to Dirty Harry or before even. So I wouldn't call it an originator for the show.

But maybe they're not embracing it like you say. It's just for a show for people to claim is so original, and then they throw in that trope that goes back to Dirty Harry, feels like a bad sign when you start out with that, so I wasn't expecting to see that for a show that is suppose to be more original.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 04:05 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It's just for a show for people to claim is so original, and then they throw in that trope that goes back to Dirty Harry, feels like a bad sign when you start out with that, so I wasn't expecting to see that for a show that is suppose to be more original.
You can keep picking on a scene or two, and try to bolster the claim you made way back in Post #1; "What's so great about The Wire?". If you think one short scene in the pilot justifies your feelings, more power to you.

We have patiently tried to show you why The Wire is on most every critic's Top Ten list. It was groundbreaking TV, and for many of us, one of the most compelling TV series we've ever seen. But it's not for everyone. I have friends who have tried, and just didn't like it. That's life. But don't try to explain to us why it's no good. You don't have to justify not liking it. But don't try to tell us why we're all wrong.

I may not believe in God, but I have more sense than to stand in the middle of a church on Sunday and try to tell everyone why THEY'RE wrong.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You can keep picking on a scene or two, and try to bolster the claim you made way back in Post #1; "What's so great about The Wire?". If you think one short scene in the pilot justifies your feelings, more power to you.

We have patiently tried to show you why The Wire is on most every critic's Top Ten list. It was groundbreaking TV, and for many of us, one of the most compelling TV series we've ever seen. But it's not for everyone. I have friends who have tried, and just didn't like it. That's life. But don't try to explain to us why it's no good. You don't have to justify not liking it. But don't try to tell us why we're all wrong.

I may not believe in God, but I have more sense than to stand in the middle of a church on Sunday and try to tell everyone why THEY'RE wrong.
Yes—argument for the sake of argument
And frankly I don’t want to waste time explaining the benefits of the the wheel over a travois or walking, trying to prove to someone who just wanted to argue the wheel is not an effective method of transport—

Old 02-15-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Ironically, after posting the other day I ended up deciding to finally buy a new hard drive for my broken down Dell pc, Amazon was the place that had it for a decent price. So I thought, why not just get Prime for a month to get the free 2-day shipping so I can also watch The Wire. Selection has gotten better since a few years ago in my opinion. Probably would have cost me $7 or $8 anyway for shipping so I basically halved the price of Prime.

Since then have watched two episodes and like it quite a bit. Original air date was 2002 and most shows that old don't age well, but that one has. I'm just getting started and looking forward to getting at least a full season in before my month of Prime expires. That incompetent cop that accidentally shot the wall his first day with the unit probably isn't going to last long, and his end will probably be violent, not a peaceful firing. Just a hunch. He's certainly been set up to be very disliked by the viewer. Good series though.
You are going to love how that story line plays out through several seasons

Old 02-15-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

That's true I should watch more episodes...

Old 02-15-2019, 11:04 PM

12,388 posts, read 8,159,056 times
The Wire is serialized, not episodic you can't watch an hour from here and there . I normally don't even try to explain the show if the other viewer had not gotten to "the scene" with Wallace. And I always advise to go that far if you are not hooked by then drop out.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:27 AM

Started S1 E1 this AM because I have a pile of ironing to do and I have not rewatched it in couple of years—
The opening scene involved McNulty with a street snitch sitting on the stoop of a boarded up row house (how that will come back to haunt all viewers) discussing the murder of “SnotBoogie” because he always stole a big pot of money from the neighborhood’s Friday crap game

“Why”, asks McNulty in a fairly incredulous tone, “did you always let SnotBoogie join the game if you knew he was going to steal the pot—why not just keep him from playing if you knew he would wind up stealing the money and you would chase him and beat him up???”

Street Snitch: “We had to...”
McNulty: “You HAD to???”
Street Snitch: “Sure—this is America”...

And everything evolves from that point of view...
Baltimore is a microcosm of America...good/bad, weak/strong, rich/poor, street-smart/college -smart...and so it goes...

Old 02-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The Wire is serialized, not episodic you can't watch an hour from here and there . I normally don't even try to explain the show if the other viewer had not gotten to "the scene" with Wallace. And I always advise to go that far if you are not hooked by then drop out.
This is why I have trouble watching it, is because I am busy with other things, and it's hard to keep track of serialized shows, but I hope to find time in the future.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:53 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The Wire is serialized, not episodic you can't watch an hour from here and there .
Yes, but you can start at the beginning of any season.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Yes, but you can start at the beginning of any season.
But not knowing all the past history of the characters and plots puts you are something of a disadvantage
Consider S3 the education series with Prez where he is—for a start
That is a great season because of what went before
S2 w/McNulty on the boat—and the fact that his FBI buddy in S1 confided that the FBI was basically giving up the war on drugs in America to fight the war on terror—
Which really made S2 possible to large extent...

I am not saying that it has to be watch sequentially—
But I have seen it 4 or 5 times probably and rewatching it now from S1E1 I catch things I either didn’t or just hadn’t remembered and feel are new...

There is a specific story line for each season and some new characters to fill that specific area of info
But it is more valuable if it comes to you with the background in focus...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV