Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

The extension and the longterm unemployed are still on the radar of some people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/op...nemployed.html

Old 02-10-2014, 03:27 PM

60 posts, read 83,797 times
OK they can find a way to pay $6 billion to pay for repealing military benefit cuts but cant find a way to pay for $6 billion to extend unemployment...
He actually said the pay for in his bill would add $20 billion in revenue. Sooo $6 billion for military $6 billion for EUC and they would still have 8 billion left over. But I guess they dont see things the way us rational people do

Old 02-10-2014, 03:36 PM

839 posts, read 1,209,334 times
Dont count so fast on this Military bill.I am watching this and cant believe how messed up the Senate is. Republicans just said they will vote yes today on the Cloture vote but if the Democrats don't allow unlimited amendments and don't allow payfors they will vote no on this bill. Even a bill to help Military families is going to fall apart . what a mess the Senate is.

Last edited by DamageInc; 02-10-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 03:53 PM

48 posts, read 66,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Dont count so fast on this Military bill.I am watching this and cant believe how messed up the Senate is. Republicans just said they will vote yes today on the Cloture vote but if the Democrats don't allow unlimited amendments and don't allow payfors they will vote no on this bill. Even a bill to help Military families is going to fall apart . what a mess the Senate is.
Doesn't the republicans voting yes on the cloture mean that the bill will ultimately pass since the democrats and independents together have 55 votes?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:03 PM

No they have a second Cloture vote that needs 60. If H Reid does not allow Admendments etc they change there vote for the 2nd one. Thats what happened to the Unemployment Extension. On the first Cloture vote it got 60. Then H Reid would not allow unlimited admendments so 5 Republicans changed there vote to no on the 2nd cloture vote and it lost. If a bill passes the 2nd Cloture vote it goes on to a final vote that needs only 51.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:51 PM

132 posts, read 220,682 times
Its a shame the government have all this wasted money that would restored the Unemployment for 2 years plus. The unused TARP money.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM

154 posts, read 257,536 times
I hope I am wrong but at this point I don't even think there will be another vote on unemployment. Harry Reid already got what he wanted (a reason to attack republicans). If he really wanted to pass an unemployment bill he would accepted one of the bills that republicans proposed that would have restored military benefits. Now instead of doing that he threw away a chance to pass an unemployment extension and the military bill will likely pass 100-0. It's all politics and we get screwed in these games. If there is another vote on unemployment it will for sure be at the beginning of next month as there is a 10 day vacation next week then the senate is going to come back and argue about raising minimum wage.

At this point I have made plans to get by for the next few months (until I finish school) on food stamps and what little money I can scrape up for gas to get to school. I can't even think about paying any of my bills right now. I am very lucky that my land lord is also a friend of mine and is letting me slide on the rent until I can pay him back and the electric company can't shut me off until April. Things are going to suck the next few months but I am fortunate compared to some in our situation. In case I lose my internet in the next few days I wish you all the best.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 PM

424 posts, read 594,058 times
Bottom line is we won't be getting an extension for a long time, if we get any at all... And I don't think we will.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:29 PM

148 posts, read 267,073 times
I agree with Mosin Nagant about Harry Reid. If he really wanted the extension he would have allowed restoring the Military benefits as a pay for. Now they will pass in separate legislation, blowing our chance as a pay for. As news reports had said...it was a win either way for Dems though. ..either by getting the extension or losing it and making the Republicans look bad in the process.

I have never voted Republican but this has certainly been an eye-opener on just how dysfunctional our Congress is. It's like watching a dysfunctional family.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM

Harry Reid probally will try a few more times. He has to keep it going until the November elections. he does not want this to be forgotten. But honestly the extensions dead unless there is a miracle before they leave on the break on Thursday. We all knew after it failed last week that there will be no extension. Just hard to let is go and realize we are on our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment