Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Why does it work for some people and not others?

I've played with them before & never had any responses whatsoever.
Why? Because it's nothing more than a toy that relies on the 'ideomotor effect'.

Note that you have to keep your hands on the planchette; there's a reason for that. And it's not to act as a spirit conduit. It's so the ideomotor effect might work. I too used them numerous times, both myself and with others. Here's the catch: Neither myself nor my friends I used it with thought of the ouija board as nothing more than bs, thus our expectation was it wouldn't work. And, of course, it didn't work, not even once. But we were all like-minded skeptics.

Penn and Teller - The Ouija Board - YouTube

What Makes Ouija Boards Move? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Every coin has two sides....the Ouija Board is an object that is made in a factory. Is it actually something that we should fear? Or the flip side of the coin; is it actually something that we should respect? Anyone have any experiences with the Ouija Board?
My ex-wife was deathly afraid of them, under no circumstances would a Ouija board ever enter our house.

Background: Her grandmother was some type of healer and into the dark arts and she saw things her grandmother conjured via Ouija board...

Old 11-07-2013, 09:30 PM

754 posts, read 1,018,491 times
Just remember that's how the chick in the exorcist got possessed. They are typically evil IMO. Never want one in my house.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:27 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
Just remember that's how the chick in the exorcist got possessed. They are typically evil IMO. Never want one in my house.
a totally fictional tale

Old 11-08-2013, 05:11 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Why risk it? Why dabble in something you don't understand?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 PM

317 posts, read 474,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Every coin has two sides....the Ouija Board is an object that is made in a factory. Is it actually something that we should fear? Or the flip side of the coin; is it actually something that we should respect? Anyone have any experiences with the Ouija Board?
When I was sixteen, my sister, a couple of friends, and I occasionally used to get together and use a Ouija board. We didn't buy one, though. We made one out of posterboard and a Sharpie and used a checker for a planchette.

It worked REALLY well. The planchette moved the fastest for my sister and I. It would even go off the edge of the table and go underneath. Sometimes it would go in figure 8's on the board. We asked the spirit we were contacting for its name the first time we used the board, and the board spelled out that the spirit's name was CQ. Every time we used the board after that, we got CQ. CQ never seemed harmful, just playful. We never asked anything that may have had an alarming answer, but limited our questions to everyday, trivial stuff.

After a while, we stopped using it. I haven't used a Ouija board since then.

Was CQ real? Or were we moving the planchette subconsciously? To this day, I don't really know. I have to admit, I'm inclined to believe, but I guess I can't be 100 percent sure. Either way, now that I'm older and more cautious, my thoughts on the Ouija board have changed since those days. I don't know that they're dangerous, and I don't know that they're not. Either way, it seems prudent to err on the side of caution and leave them alone. Why risk creating problems where there are none?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:39 PM

566 posts, read 678,277 times
I have one and the thing moves like crazy with only one of my pinkie fingers barely touching it, no lie! I can't figure out why. But I live alone, and it can get sort of scary when this happens. It does'nt move without a finger touching it though. I've tried it with just mind power, and it does'nt move. But if I put even just my pinkie finger lightly on it, it just moves real fast, and goes off the board. Whenever I ask a question, it does'nt make any sense, and just moves around to different letters, and not spelling out words, so I just stopped using it. It did go to the yes or no sections though, before going off the board. While its extremely interesting, it just gets too scary when this happens while I'm alone, truthfully speaking. Is there anyone else out there who does this alone? i am curious as to the validiity of some of the answers you've received. The last time I used it, I asked it if I would get back with my ex, and it ran to no, which was true, I did'nt.

Last edited by glenninindy; 11-08-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 12:54 AM

793 posts, read 275,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I have one and the thing moves like crazy with only one of my pinkie fingers barely touching it, no lie! I can't figure out why. But I live alone, and it can get sort of scary when this happens. It does'nt move without a finger touching it though. I've tried it with just mind power, and it does'nt move. But if I put even just my pinkie finger lightly on it, it just moves real fast, and goes off the board. Whenever I ask a question, it does'nt make any sense, and just moves around to different letters, and not spelling out words, so I just stopped using it. It did go to the yes or no sections though, before going off the board. While its extremely interesting, it just gets too scary when this happens while I'm alone, truthfully speaking. Is there anyone else out there who does this alone? i am curious as to the validiity of some of the answers you've received. The last time I used it, I asked it if I would get back with my ex, and it ran to no, which was true, I did'nt.

I own 3 Ouija Boards. My first one I purchased over 40 years ago. Though I have tried to work the board by myself, I have yet to succeed...thus I envy you! Should I ever accomplish it I would be elated but far from scared. After having read all the comments on this subject, I have to add, that in all the years I have dealt with Ouija Boards not one time have I ever tried to summons or contact a spirit nor have I ever asked who I was talking to. Why????? I have no idea.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:39 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
To answer the OP's question, yes, I have experience with them.

I will never have one in my house again.

To respond to 11th Hour, no, you don't always have to touch the planchette. Sometimes that stupid thing move so fast, you can't keep up with it, and your hands come off, everyone's hands, and it keeps moving....no, not in one direction from the force of our hands, either. That's all I'm going to discuss about it.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
You guys are freaking me out! I've seen one but never have touched one let alone used one. I have heard stories over the years and would never allow one in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal