Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinaYanksbody View Post
How fun! Same sentiment. I'll bet they talk about Aussies when the Americans are around and you're not. With all due respect . . .
No, they talk about Australians in front of my face...and, er....I usually agree with them.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:56 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
No, they talk about Australians in front of my face...and, er....I usually agree with them.
Hahahaha

Old 12-13-2008, 06:11 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
2) British character - we constantly bad mouth each other. Whether it's Scots against the English, English against the Welsh, everybody against the Irish it's just our way of life. You should hear what we say about the French or Germans. Don't even start with the Aussies! This goes further; rivalries exist between cities (Mancs & Scousers anyone?). homosexual, pretentious, whiney, arrogant. Who could these be describing?
I'm American so don't worry but I would like to know what some Brits say about the Aussies; does it involve the prison colony fact?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:48 PM

Well, I think many still regard Aust as one of their colonies, but they're the ones who still think the Empire will rise again!
The others probably don't really care, but they just need something to complain about, so it might as well be Australians. Or Amercians. Or the weather.
A lot of the rivalries now are more sport than history related, as far as I can tell. But then, the young backpackers come here in hordes, so there must be some affection there. Yes??

Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 PM

61 posts, read 119,012 times
Default Behind the back down under.

Quote:
Fair enough. How about the Yanks? Do they snipe the Brits when they're not around? That wouldn't do much good . . . no fun at all! I'm willing to bet the Yanks come right out with it and that's why their catching p---. Flag waving gun slingers that we are.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 AM

I can't speak for all the Americans, (I do have a flair for the obvious) but the ones I work with often take 'gentle' swipes...y'know, like "oh, it must be a Brit thing"...then they draw their guns and shoot the s**t out out of the nearest one.

Last edited by jacq63; 12-14-2008 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: I cannot spell at 10pm.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:32 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,745 times
Quote:
Brits & Americans
I am a Brit, married to an American, living in England. I have had countless conversations with wifey on this subject and we can't quite seem to figure it out... so here I am to ask the quesiton:

Why do Brits 'America Bash' all the time????
Ian, Isn't this really a matter of perspective and source? I hear about people in other countries bashing the U.S. and I hear of others liking the U.S. I don't think it really has much to do with Bush, he's just a scapegoat for those not willing to pursue in depth reasoning. The bashing has been going on at least since I became aware, around the time of the Vietnam War. But I also understood it was localized to political agenda. Not the U.S. govt's agenda but the bashers agenda. Perspective and source, regardless of which side of the planet.

I learned some early english in kindergarten, in a Brit school in Lisbon about the time of ERII's crowning. I've worked in several jobs in the U.S. with 'ferriners' from many parts of the planet. Seems those who 'want' to come to the U.S. are less prone to bash than those who can't locate any port of embarkation.

The perspective developed from historical input, thus influencing the source of info from a media building on that historical input. No reasoning, no search for truth. Just acting out.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for all the Americans, (I do have a flair for the obvious) but the ones I work with often take 'gentle' swipes...y'know, like "oh, it must be a Brit thing"...then they draw their guns and shoot the s**t out out of the nearest one.
. . . and that's just the women! The Brits don't know who the h--- they're messin' with! Nice chattin' with ya. I perused your pics. Nice spread, er, acreage - land. Reminds be of Cali before the hoards arrived. Good luck with it. We live in the Oregon woods outside of Bend at the feet of the Cascades. Quite a few sports extremists from Australia here, leading us to nickname Australia "Jackass - The Country".

Old 12-14-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
. . . We live in the Oregon woods outside of Bend at the feet of the Cascades. Quite a few sports extremists from Australia here, leading us to nickname Australia "Jackass - The Country".
LOL! Thanks for the nice comments about the land - We've had a few "Unabomber" references, but nothing too savage.
Er, back on topic...um, naughty, naughty American bashers. Stop it right now.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Default Correcting my odd statement.

Quote:
I'm still not sure the issue is a valid one. I simply think that Brits expect a country so akin to them in so many ways doesn't have a thriving knowledge of their back yard. It's more human nature than anything else and a reason, albeit a trivial one, to give us p--- about.
Let me clarify and correct the above. I meant to say that SOME Brits probably expect a country so akin to their own to have a respectable knowledge about "their back yard" i.e. Europe. We probably should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom