Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 PM

123 posts, read 346,884 times

Advertisements

I am English living in US now for many years. The issue in the UK is becoming seperation of Scotland and Wales. The Union Jack is a symbol of Great Britain ( countries in the group ) not just England. The St George flag is the English flag seen at events such as World Cup Soccer. Discussion has been made by new PM Brown that perhaps UK should have a national holiday to celebrate being British .( such as the US has July 4, the French have Bastille Day ) Yes, the US flag flown on every door step all the time gets a bit much for me at times, one doesn't have to raise a flag to be a patriot of their country. Frankly it is confusing to try to decipher what every flag here represents. Heck , I suspect each family will eventually have their own flag just like the English have a family crest. Difference being they don't feel the need to display it in front of their homes. Still I do think the young Brits now has lost some of the patriotism that happened at the end of WW11. Hey, even I plan to fly the US flag on July 4 but if they determine a UK national celebration day I will get out my Union Jack and proudly fly it too.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
Frankly it is confusing to try to decipher what every flag here represents. Heck , I suspect each family will eventually have their own flag just like the English have a family crest. Difference being they don't feel the need to display it in front of their homes.
There are many more flags over here than most Brits realise. Most counties have them but they are usually only seen on public buildings..
Skyblue UK County Flags

Old 04-29-2008, 12:39 AM

119 posts, read 552,340 times
I am an American living in England. I have not heard/experienced any of the hostility that I have read on this blog. Most people have been curious about our country and have asked wonderful questions. As much as we may not know about GB and vice versa, it is an opportunity to share stories with one another for enlightenment, not hostility. BTW, I am getting most of my election info from The London TImes these days who have been doing a brilliant job of covering what is going on.... unfortunately, candidate bashing is common no matter where one comes from. I agree that a lot of ideas that GB has about the US comes from visits to FL and especially what they see/watch on the telly emanating from LA. How shameful and embarrassing this is, really. I have learned so much from living here and I hope I have educated much as well. My favorite topic that is not well know over here in London is Thanksgiving... Finally, please remember that we are allies. Uk is a beautiful place full of wonderful people just like the US. There are the exceptions every where, but one just has to assume they are just ignorant.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,693 times
Default Not so pleasant

I'm an American living in the North of England. Unfortunately lots of people must have a hard time distinguishing between Americans and our government. I've had people hear my accent and say impolite things to me.

The last one was right in front of my house. An elderly lady asked me a question, which I answered gently and politely. I do not have a loud voice (the American stereotype). We had a nice conversation (I thought). After she walked away, a man who was standing nearby asked if I was American, and I said yes. He "harrumphed" and turned and walked away from me. Not a big deal, but obviously it hurts to be treated in an offensive way for no good reason.

I get rude stares in shops and these nasty questions every so often. My response has been to avoid talking in public. I live here because I'm married to an Englishman. The countryside is beautiful where I live, and I enjoy that a lot. However, it really is tiring to be hated just for being American even though I'm not loud, and I never voted for Bush (junior or senior).

Considering the nasty yobs on the street and the behaviour of Brits on holiday, it would be nice to be treated with courtesy. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Peak View Post
I'm an American living in the North of England. Unfortunately lots of people must have a hard time distinguishing between Americans and our government. I've had people hear my accent and say impolite things to me.

The last one was right in front of my house. An elderly lady asked me a question, which I answered gently and politely. I do not have a loud voice (the American stereotype). We had a nice conversation (I thought). After she walked away, a man who was standing nearby asked if I was American, and I said yes. He "harrumphed" and turned and walked away from me. Not a big deal, but obviously it hurts to be treated in an offensive way for no good reason.

I get rude stares in shops and these nasty questions every so often. My response has been to avoid talking in public. I live here because I'm married to an Englishman. The countryside is beautiful where I live, and I enjoy that a lot. However, it really is tiring to be hated just for being American even though I'm not loud, and I never voted for Bush (junior or senior).

Considering the nasty yobs on the street and the behaviour of Brits on holiday, it would be nice to be treated with courtesy. I'm not holding my breath.
That's a shame, I'm sorry to hear that and I sincerely apologise on behalf of all rude British people. They are not all like that, so be proud of your accent, smile and ignore the imbecliles who are rude. It's their loss.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 PM

79 posts, read 458,629 times
Default Brits and Americans

Hiya,
I have to agree with the last post.
I'm a Brit, who has fallen hook line and sinker for the US of A...I love it.
I'm buying a vacation home next week in my fave city, when i have completed my nursing degree i will surley move, if you will have me

I have had warm and friendly experiences in the US, and i have so many email pals from all parts of the US, we are all involved in the same work. WOW I love them for sharing experiences too.

Speak out, and don't hide away..how can you make everyone happy all of the time.

GinnyGin
UK England, a city girl

Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 PM

61 posts, read 119,032 times
Default The Brit flag

Well, Tonrob, I won't take your comment as being rude at all as it's quite to the point. I was following a thread about the illegality of flying the flag in Britain. I thought it odd and read that it was the St. George that was "outlawed". I find it hard to believe. What's the uproar all about?

By way of background. I come upon this site as a result of some research into a comment that a friend of mine (Brit) made that there was an apparently "strong and widespread belief" that Yanks were naive and believe anything you say. I wasn't offended at all by this, but wanted to look into why or if this seems to be the case.

Should I start a new thread do you think?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Jack vs. St.George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
I am English living in US now for many years. The issue in the UK is becoming seperation of Scotland and Wales. The Union Jack is a symbol of Great Britain ( countries in the group ) not just England. The St George flag is the English flag seen at events such as World Cup Soccer. Discussion has been made by new PM Brown that perhaps UK should have a national holiday to celebrate being British .( such as the US has July 4, the French have Bastille Day ) Yes, the US flag flown on every door step all the time gets a bit much for me at times, one doesn't have to raise a flag to be a patriot of their country. Frankly it is confusing to try to decipher what every flag here represents. Heck , I suspect each family will eventually have their own flag just like the English have a family crest. Difference being they don't feel the need to display it in front of their homes. Still I do think the young Brits now has lost some of the patriotism that happened at the end of WW11. Hey, even I plan to fly the US flag on July 4 but if they determine a UK national celebration day I will get out my Union Jack and proudly fly it too.
Thanks, that gives me more insight. I'll gladly fly it too (union Jack) though our etiquette here says it will sit just below the U.S. flag. Wow, you've opened up an entirely new facet of this discussion..

Old 04-29-2008, 08:27 PM

123 posts, read 346,884 times
I am a Northern Brit living in Florida and apologise for the ignorant who throw insults at Americans. Maybe it is jealousy because most of them think Yanks have an easier life w/more money etc:. GW Bush has , I'm sad to say made most foreigners feel that the US is playing policeman of the world. Most Brits that have come over this side on vacation usually get along pretty good. Just don't try to mimic someones accent and expect them to laugh like its funny. That happened to me for yeas in Michigan. If all Brits addressed yu w/a fake US accent how would you feel?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyGin View Post
Hiya,
I have to agree with the last post.
I'm a Brit, who has fallen hook line and sinker for the US of A...I love it.
I'm buying a vacation home next week in my fave city, when i have completed my nursing degree i will surley move, if you will have me

I have had warm and friendly experiences in the US, and i have so many email pals from all parts of the US, we are all involved in the same work. WOW I love them for sharing experiences too.

Speak out, and don't hide away..how can you make everyone happy all of the time.

GinnyGin
UK England, a city girl
You sound very silly. You'll fit in quite nicely here! We need nurses like you. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom