Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 06:16 PM

61 posts, read 119,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
For me ( I'm not British nor American, but as Continental European I'm obviously more in contact with British people), Americans are much more FUN, maybe because they are kind of more "exotic"; would I change opinion if I lived in constant contact with Americans ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
Americans are a different breed sir. We are in fact Europeans in a big blender. If that translates as "fun" then so be it. The bigger picture is this: We are a multinational conglomerate of people culturally. Right now we are, after 500 years of turmoil, doing a pretty damn good job of keeping it together. We're not perfect. We have a huge continent we are still exploring and it really is a big deal to get back once in awhile to our European roots and see where we've been. We're more concerned with where we're going. It's not that we ignore the "old world" it's just that we have a lot on our plate right now. We are opinionated, justifiably insular (see above) and understandably cognizent of what the rest of the world thinks of us. I know and am related to fellow Americans who have a certain affinity with at least one other international culture. They learn their language, their customs and political system. I know others who are "just Americans". They are like anyone else in any other country, just "Who They Are". This country is HUGE. We are all different, similar, and a hell of a lot like you. I personally think this thread is valuable as a connection for all of the English speaking countries we're affiliated with. I certainly wouldn't be surprised at all if in the next 25 years or so there's a political collective of Engish speaking nations. I'm an extremely proud American, but I'm also extremly proud of our English-speaking heritage and that it is in fact a universal language. How does that make our friends on "The Island" feel? Good I hope. If that makes them a bit snobbish, who can blame them? I feel pretty damned good about it myself.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxer View Post
I am married to a blank (half bloke half yank, he made that one up himself lol!), I also work for an international company and have lived and worked in Virginia for a year in 95.

I can say from my experience that mainland Europeans think a lot worse of Americans than Brits but don't say anything. I was astounded by the degree of snobbery coming from Germans, Italians and most other mainland European countries. These people have worked with Americans and travelled in the USA on business and holiday so they have some degree of experience.

They slate the americans far more than any of the UK colleagues that I work with. Seems to come from a frustration of not understanding their way of doing business. There is a lot of snobbery in Europe. ( I fight it in myself when I watch my husband eat every meal with the odd way he uses a knife and fork!)

I am moving to the States in Feb 09 with my husband within the USAF and I have almost had looks of pity from some of the Europeans.

I know a lot of brits that love a lot of american things but that also love to poke fun at some Americans lack of knowledge of the rest of the world.

Yes, the lack of some Americans volume control can get on peoples nerves too. I generally just laugh it off as its not like its killing anyone. I have learnt to be tolerant or move to another pub!

IMHO most ridicule whether in the playground or between schools or indeed the great north south divide or in between country is insecurity and ignorance being turned into point-scoring to make the insulter look big and clever!

Here in the UK we use sarcasm to get away with it, its so ingrained in our society that it really is part of our make up, sense of humour and so identity. Its not really meant to intentionally hurt the americans or anyone else for the most part, just to belittle them, which is sad because it actually is a sign of immaturity and lack of emotional intelligence.

The main thing is that when the stuff hits the fan both nations are there for each other. Thats what really matters, like siblings really!

I am embracing the move to the States and although I will grow tired of being asked the same questions over and over my new sense of tolerance will see me through. I will remind myself that I am an ambassador for fellow Brits (and esp. Bristolians!).

You can't change other peoples behaviour but you can change your own. That said I will be using a knife and fork correctly no matter how much my husband tries to get me to see the american way! Lol!
Wow. How amazing. I love you. You'll like it here. Use the accent, we're all suckers for it. I'm still trying to manage Brit knife and fork so I won't stand out too much when I visit. Cheers!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Hmmh, I'm wondering if I should post this but.....

It doesn't seem logical that all British hate all Americans - surely this board shows that? So what could be going on? I have a few theories which might or might not be complete crap.

1) language - strange differences noted on another thread aside, we speak the same language and therefore you can't help but notice any critical comments (whether intended or not). Most people visiting a foreign country don't speak the language well enough to know they are being commented on.

2) British character - we constantly bad mouth each other. Whether it's Scots against the English, English against the Welsh, everybody against the Irish it's just our way of life. You should hear what we say about the French or Germans. Don't even start with the Aussies! This goes further; rivalries exist between cities (Mancs & Scousers anyone?). You should hear some of the things my friends and I say to/about each other in jest - if we didn't like each other we wouldn't be there taking the ****. I'm sure that any Americans hearing us would think we hated each other. Have you heard what the Brits have to say about ourselves and our own country!

3) I am astounded that anybody can believe this is a one way street - I have experienced anti English racism in the states, as posted earlier. How about these stereotypes :- Cold, aloof, dirty, bad teeth, bad food, homosexual, pretentious, whiney, arrogant. Who could these be describing?

To be honest I think part of the problem is that the current 'vogue' for dumping on the USA is so recent that Americans haven't yet come to terms with it. Being British (or more accurately English I suppose) we have had hundreds of years of being hated by everybody else in the world! It's old hat to us & we've learned to shrug it off. The USA is so used to being the good guy who saved everybody else in two world wars, I think the adjustment to not being universally popular is hard.

So, where do I stand. Do I hate Americans? No. Do I like the States? Yes. Have I ever slagged off the States? Yes. Have I ever slagged off Britain? Yes. All I know is that every country has good people and every country has its share of pricks.

Complicated world isn't it.
You're absolutely right and I love you for it. Well said. Excellent insight.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
This is funny to me, because as a Brit I would say almost the exact opposite!
I think England (and Europe) has WAY more diversified culture than the US and way more places to go.
Maybe you mean places to go within the country? Europeans tend not to think that way - we consider the whole of Europe to be our backyard so travel opportunities seem much more diverse than what you get in the US.

The US may celebrate more holidays, but the average UK worker gets so much more vacation time than a US worker. Most Brits barely even believe me when I tell them about the US holiday allowance.

With parking - well as with anywhere it depends where you live! Because I can assure you that parking in Manhattan/ Hoboken/ Philadelphia is no fun either!
If you moved from Kansas to a London suburb, then yes it would seem bad. If you moved from NYC to London it's very comparable.

I really like living in the US and am self employed so don't have to worry about holiday allowances.

I do think that Americans generally think more highly of Brits than Brits think of Americans which is a shame.
Nail on the head, my friend, where the holidays are concerned. A toss-up where the travelling is concerned though, each side should definitely experience both.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,914 times
Most Americans don't know (or don't care) about the views of people not in their loose circle of peers. A better way for Americans to understand it is; a non-Californian's view of California. Most people outside of Cali. either aspire to it or hate it. Because of it's size, it has an impact on life everywhere else in America, even if it doesn't notice.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,968 times
I created this map to put things in perspective.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9008/uspeopletc5.png (broken link)

Old 05-11-2008, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 31,471 times
Well to be honest ..........Its quite true that Brits bash americans quite alot and although I am not a american I do not think its right that its done.

As I am studying Biology, most of my lec keep talking of the weird units and words the americans have. Since I grew up in India, and now studying in UK, I do not really see why it has to be commented on and its sad. In the past the Brits have made sarcastic comments on americans and american istitutes and I think its bit sad.

I do not have an answer why they do it but they do it quite alot.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:21 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis27 View Post
Well to be honest ..........Its quite true that Brits bash americans quite alot and although I am not a american I do not think its right that its done.

As I am studying Biology, most of my lec keep talking of the weird units and words the americans have. Since I grew up in India, and now studying in UK, I do not really see why it has to be commented on and its sad. In the past the Brits have made sarcastic comments on americans and american istitutes and I think its bit sad.

I do not have an answer why they do it but they do it quite alot.
You`re missing the whole point. I don`t blame you for it as without looking at your profile I suspect you are young and not brought up in the UK,,,The fact is we take the p*** out of everything and everyone, especially ourselves..So if you can`t stand the heat ,,,,,you know the door you came in???
Well it might be news but it swings both ways..

Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,323 times
I am an American of English ancestery.

I have been to the UK many times on vacation. I have seen some horrible American tourists as well as some horrible Italian, German, Hungarian, Chinese, French....need I go on?

There are tools everywhere.

People....Don't let somebody's bad day bother you. When I had been treated rudely in another country (not just the UK), I just had to remind myself that I was on holiday and to shrug it off.

I dunno...with the one exception of one creepy old lady in Dublin (Yep...that's the Republic not No. Ireland), I have always mananged to make great friends whilst on vacation.

My hubby still shrugs his head

~Carry on!

Shanny

Old 05-12-2008, 12:18 AM

119 posts, read 552,340 times
Default Not very pleasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
You`re missing the whole point. I don`t blame you for it as without looking at your profile I suspect you are young and not brought up in the UK,,,The fact is we take the p*** out of everything and everyone, especially ourselves..So if you can`t stand the heat ,,,,,you know the door you came in???
Well it might be news but it swings both ways..
Lincolnshire- I truly feel your comment to this poster was a bit patronizing and bigoted. Frankly, I am surprised at you. I thought you had a bit more class than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom