Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 11:59 AM

1,139 posts, read 465,623 times

Advertisements

You are so very right there Ulsterman and there is a two-faced style goes on in Republican corners and that includes this recent tragedy in Londonderry .There was locally in that edgy part of the city trouble going on as it happens so everyone remember that please. The other day the BBC whilst reporting on the incident in the Maiden City the announcer passingly mentioned that those from that yet another terror lot had a parade down in Dublin. SF/IRA will not run Ulster not I will assert form their own government in a more improved Irish Republic over the years. Instead make demands and they remain the majority group in one side of the major tradition in the Province rather than the more routine SDLP shows much that the would be brilliant thinkers here and in general just omit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 01:08 PM

465 posts, read 607,756 times
I’ve exceeded my post quota for the week on this board, so instead of dismissing O’Callahan’s quote as lies, at this point I’ll get back to my family on this Easter Sunday.

And although the day is almost over across the pond, I wish Happy Easter to Ulsterman, Rjhowie and even RoscoeConkling and their families, not to mention the people on this board who have viewpoints close to my own.

May people from all of our varied backgrounds, including my own, realize how much more we have in common than we do not.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:35 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
You are so very right there Ulsterman and there is a two-faced style goes on in Republican corners and that includes this recent tragedy in Londonderry .There was locally in that edgy part of the city trouble going on as it happens so everyone remember that please. The other day the BBC whilst reporting on the incident in the Maiden City the announcer passingly mentioned that those from that yet another terror lot had a parade down in Dublin. SF/IRA will not run Ulster not I will assert form their own government in a more improved Irish Republic over the years. Instead make demands and they remain the majority group in one side of the major tradition in the Province rather than the more routine SDLP shows much that the would be brilliant thinkers here and in general just omit.

rj we've seen it all too often how they operate so we are up to speed. There is never a chance of nationalists saying they are satisfied though Austin Currie did thank Stormont for sending money to Maynooth which is in the ROI but that's the only one I know of.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:48 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,964 times
The Creggan housing estate where Lyra McKee was killed.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-bogside-creggan-houses-7.jpg   Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-bogside-creggan-melaugh-pics.jpg   Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-bogside-creggan-pics-eamon-melaugh.jpg   Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-bogside-creggan-1968-derry-eamon-melaugh.jpg  

Old 04-21-2019, 05:37 PM

Agree with you. That are like some of their similar places are hotbeds of the woeful and dangerous who never grow up politically. I noted that the celebration of the Easter Rebellion was marked including military in Dublin. The thing hat makes me sigh is that the country did get independence in 1922 NOT at the time of that stuff earler dated. There were Dublin people who wondered about that crowd who marched in the city and folk probably more concerned about the racing news. The lot of Republicans at the Easter Rising stuff were a dodgy bunch and it was NOT indepence bu the country doesn't mark that but a less than popular occasion??

Old 04-22-2019, 09:04 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Regardless whether you agree with his past, surely you agree with Gerry Adams’s condemnation of the troublemakers? Simply say yes.
Sadly he nor a few others cannot bring themselves to say so. If SF were silent they would be condemned for not speaking out against the violence. But let them emphatically and unequivocally condemn the violence, and there will not be an ounce of credit given.
Heck some even imply the present day dissident splinter group violence is planned and/or approved by SF.

Don't forget some of the hardcore Unionists predicted and even bet money that the IRA would never live up to their promise to disarm. Then when they did, it was predicted they would never disband/retire. Then when that happened they continued to make predictions based on speculation that McGuinness/Adams/SF were up to no good.
Now in defense of their thinking, at least in the beginning, there had been ceasefires and attempts to stem the violence that failed in the past. So frankly a healthy bit of skepticism was in order.
Yet when years past without their predictions coming true, you would think after 2 decades, some could acknowledge they were wrong about SF.
The DUP can fraternize with UDA members and even give grant money to their causes, and not a peep from them.

But with certain segments of the Unionist crowd, they will not give a millimeter, and are too invested in SF being the bad guys, and a symbol for all that is wrong in NI.
Don't forget in their minds, Nationalists were very happy with how things were in NI, until SF stirred them up and sowed the seeds of discontent.

`

Old 04-22-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Curious that a conservative MP would make that comment. I have to agree with Roscoe on this one, at least to a point. While Brexit has the potential to undermine the peace process, it’s not like hard borders have already gone up. I’m going to take the Gerry Adams point of view in condemning the troublemakers, the nutty members of this splinter group misappropriating the IRA name.
That is something I have never understood regarding how so many groups misappropriate a name. Heck you have "Real Sinn Fein" and the "Real IRA", but was the "Real" Sinn Fein trying to broker some type of political solution on behalf of their followers?
I don't think so.
So what was their purpose in representing the "Real IRA" whose only purpose was seemingly to try to expel Britain from NI by force. You do not need a political wing for that if you leave no other option on the table.

I'd bet dollars to donuts Adams is beside himself whenever the splinter groups carry out attacks, as it certainly does not help the Nationalist cause he has worked so hard to achieve.

`

Old 04-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula12 View Post
I'm not sure which sources you're using. The consensus in every source I've read is that the police were carrying out intelligence-led raids against the New IRA. A riot erupted and crowds began throwing petrol bombs towards the police, before someone began firing indiscriminately in the direction of the police, and a journalist was caught in the crossfire.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019...thern-ireland/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKCN1RV02A

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-47985469

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/19/a...ntl/index.html
Thanks for the links, as I had read one, but not the others.

The strange thing is how some of the articles completely gloss over the reason the riots started in the first place, and mainly talk about the death of the journalist.
It is even implied that the riot was triggered by the shooting, which can even imply the bullet that killed her was that of the PSNI.
Over here if a white cop kills a black man (justified or not), many a riot has broken out as a result.

`

Old 04-22-2019, 05:57 PM

Unfortunately there have been occasional repeats of willy-nilly shootings of black people in America including unarmed ones. I about two years ago watched a retired captain from the Philadelphia police commenting on some of the popor police standards in his country. Slightly after that a part of senior police visited Scotland and out police training college and numbed at the standards. So what goes on there cannot be somehow used as a raising point in Ulster and that recent riot then killing. You do have a police problem .

The area of Londonderry where the rouble was is a traditional area where that has been traditional and they all live in nice houses provided for ent from the authorities they moan at!

Old 04-22-2019, 07:19 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Thanks for the links, as I had read one, but not the others.

The strange thing is how some of the articles completely gloss over the reason the riots started in the first place, and mainly talk about the death of the journalist.
It is even implied that the riot was triggered by the shooting, which can even imply the bullet that killed her was that of the PSNI.
Over here if a white cop kills a black man (justified or not), many a riot has broken out as a result.

`
They don't " gloss over " the reason at all.
The PSNI were carrying out an intelligence-led operation to seize illegal weapons held by terrorists.
There was no " implication " the journalist was killed by a PSNI bullet - the New IRA have already admitted responsibility and apologised,for what that is worth.
The victim was a highly-regarded local journalist whose death should not be used in some sort of crapulous argument about who was to blame.
Seriously,show some respect for the people of Northern Ireland who have to put up with this and reign in your amateurish pontifications about something you clearly know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom