Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 02:26 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Using perfectly good land to make a golf course should be criminal.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 03:18 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Using perfectly good land to make a golf course should be criminal.
Your point of view is guilty of impersonating intelligent thought.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Golf courses are a terrible way to preserve green space. We already have plenty of parks in Austin, many of which are partially in the floodplain and could not be built upon anyway.

Once it is built out I would expect it to perpetually be that way, not just for a hundred years or more. This is still a "better and higher" use by any economic gauge as it does not cater to a few enthusiasts and their special interest group. Instead it can serve the needs of the community on a much larger scale to thousands of residents and workers.
They may be a terrible way to preserve green spaces, true, but it's more green space than if it is built upon.

That Austin has "plenty" of parks is a) anecdotal, b) says nothing about the value of (as opposed to the quantity of) the parks in Austin, and c) may be true for Austin, but not necessarily elsewhere.

Would I prefer they be OSPs and trails? Yes, but, if the alternative is pavement and those terrible little trees that never provide any shade which are all the rage for developments now, in that case I'll take the golf course. If nothing else, it's nice to look at. Certainly better than looking at, say, a strip mall.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
They may be a terrible way to preserve green spaces, true, but it's more green space than if it is built upon.

That Austin has "plenty" of parks is a) anecdotal, b) says nothing about the value of (as opposed to the quantity of) the parks in Austin, and c) may be true for Austin, but not necessarily elsewhere.

Would I prefer they be OSPs and trails? Yes, but, if the alternative is pavement and those terrible little trees that never provide any shade which are all the rage for developments now, in that case I'll take the golf course. If nothing else, it's nice to look at. Certainly better than looking at, say, a strip mall.
I don't know why so many people here think golf is some kind of niche hobby. Almost 10% of Americans play the game, which is actually pretty substantial for a leisure activity. It's a question of balance.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 AM

564 posts, read 747,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Your point of view is guilty of impersonating intelligent thought.
Ooooh, did I hurt your feelings? I'm sorry if you like one of the most mind numbing activities known to man.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Ooooh, did I hurt your feelings? I'm sorry if you like one of the most mind numbing activities known to man.
Not everyone has the patience to enjoy golf. Hitting a little white ball with a big stick looks really easy, but boy is it hard! TBF, I find it very boring to watch.

In any event, no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to play. That doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:08 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post

Not anecdotal at all. As far as acres of parkland as percentage of city area we are way above the median of 8.2% at 18%.

http://www.tpl.org/sites/default/fil...facts-2011.pdf

And of course golf courses are not even parks they just pretend to be as a means of greenwashing! You don't cut down huge swaths of tree in parks. You don't add tons of fertilizers and herbicides to make green lawns in parks. You don't waste acre-feet of water in parks because of course they are self-sustaining and fit the climate they inhabit.

I know my town way better than you do. People here are not clamoring for more parks. What they want are (1) traffic relief and (2) more affordable housing. The best way to create affordable housing is to supply more of it near employment centers. That should be priority number one, not recreation facilities for the minority of the population.

These are high-priced areas I'm talking about. If they do build a strip mall it will be a damn fine looking one with lots of customers.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:48 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
You think you hurt my feelings? Don't you have a community meeting to organize? Just shaking hands with the facts that a golf course is more green use than building soviet style high rises.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
you have to be a real man to appreciate golf courses.
even if you don't play well. its worth the privacy and driving around
with a buzz on.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don't know why so many people here think golf is some kind of niche hobby. Almost 10% of Americans play the game, which is actually pretty substantial for a leisure activity. It's a question of balance.
That's probably way more than actually play any other sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Not anecdotal at all. As far as acres of parkland as percentage of city area we are way above the median of 8.2% at 18%.

http://www.tpl.org/sites/default/fil...facts-2011.pdf

And of course golf courses are not even parks they just pretend to be as a means of greenwashing! You don't cut down huge swaths of tree in parks. You don't add tons of fertilizers and herbicides to make green lawns in parks. You don't waste acre-feet of water in parks because of course they are self-sustaining and fit the climate they inhabit.

I know my town way better than you do. People here are not clamoring for more parks. What they want are (1) traffic relief and (2) more affordable housing. The best way to create affordable housing is to supply more of it near employment centers. That should be priority number one, not recreation facilities for the minority of the population.

These are high-priced areas I'm talking about. If they do build a strip mall it will be a damn fine looking one with lots of customers.
Have you been in parks in most cities these days? All of the bold happens, unless it's "open space" and even that is mowed, weeded and trimmed at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning