Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Now that I look closer, the median distance for these Canadian metros is the straight line (as the crow flies) distance between place of work and residence, not whatever path the commuter takes. Do you know if the 16 miles is straight line or not? And the how the average compares to the median?

The median straight line distance for Canada is 4.8 miles, average is maybe around 7.5 miles.
2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations | Commuting Distance (km) (9), Age Groups (9) and Sex (3) for the Employed Labour Force 15 Years and Over Having a Usual Place of Work of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Cen

I'd estimate that using the actual travel path (not straight line distance) might be more like 9-12 miles.
I am not sure, I was just looking for a general idea of average commute distance in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is probably not the best bike to commute to and from work on daily unless you are the type of person that likes to take a leisurely bike ride to and from where you are going.
Wearing regular clothing is higher on my priority list than going fast.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The difference, of course, is that the person who spends 20-35 minutes each way on a bike 5x a week is probably in better shape than the person who spends that time in a car, unless they're also spending an additional 40-70 minutes a day at the gym. The cyclist is also saving a ton of money on gas, insurance and car maintenance, not to mention the cost of a gym membership, which can help mitigate the potentially higher cost of a more centrally located home in a more walkable neighborhood--and if they own rather than rent, they can write off the mortgage interest, while the commuter can't write off their extra transportation expense (or, I suppose, their gym membership.)
... and the driver likely spends another 20-30 minutes commuting to/from the gym!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM

This is fun! French Justice Minister Christiane Taubira commutes to cabinet meetings on her bike.

Cyclelicious » Christiane Taubira commutes by bike

Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 PM

These French officials are taking the smog thing seriously, wonder if this will continue post-smog?
French Minister of Culture Aurélie Filippetti bikes to a meeting!

Cyclelicious » French cabinet minister Aurélie Filippetti bikes to work

Old 03-20-2014, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
These French officials are taking the smog thing seriously, wonder if this will continue post-smog?
French Minister of Culture Aurélie Filippetti bikes to a meeting!

Cyclelicious » French cabinet minister Aurélie Filippetti bikes to work
They cancelled their "no drive days" after ONE day.
Paris lifts partial car ban after drop in pollution
Paris Ends 'Odd Or Even' Limit On Cars After One Day : The Two-Way : NPR

In other news,

Boulder B-cycle adds bikes, stations — and 24-hour access - Boulder Daily Camera

And if I can sneak this in about helmets (I am not going to advocate for them, just report on my research I did while debate was being closed):

I went to Walmart yesterday (so shoot me, they have fabric and sewing supplies, which is what I was looking for and which their highly vaunted competitiors, Target and Costco don't have) and decided after getting my fabric to take a look at bike helmets. They had some marked down to $12.97, and a whole lot for sale for ~$20, including some cute ones for kids (Spiderman, Disney Princesses, etc). FYI only.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-20-2014 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: clarification of prices

Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
It is all about gearing and the weight of the bike, I would wear regular clothes on my bike and still able to do 12-16mph when I commuted to work.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
I keep my work clothes in my backpack along with my laptop for my daily rides. I also have two pairs of shoes that stay at work so I don't need to put those in my packpack (1 brown, 1 black).

Old 03-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I keep my work clothes in my backpack along with my laptop for my daily rides. I also have two pairs of shoes that stay at work so I don't need to put those in my packpack (1 brown, 1 black).
That is a smart thing to do if you have a locker or desk to keep things like this at. New buildings in Portland are being designed with places to lock bikes up, lockers available for storage, and showers and changing rooms for those sweaty or bad weather rides. Basically it is becoming a new way to make office buildings more attractive to employers.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Backpacks are annoying for long rides. Restrict your posture biking and and give you a sweaty back. Use a bike bag instead. A handlebar bag or a small trunk bag on the rear rack works well, small paniniers on the rack if you need more space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning