Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What do you mean, not based in reality? ANYONE who says bike helmets are unnecessary and helmet laws are bad IS A FOOL! There is NO "other side" to this issue.
Your claims about her being a helmet-hater

Quote:
You may wish you hadn't posted a link to that particular blog because here's what she says:

The evidence is not "anecdotal". It's research based! And yeah, her health care friends tell her to wear one, b/c they've seen the results of NOT wearing one. So what if she feels out of place wearing a helmet. Maybe she should bike out here in CO, where that does not seem to be an issue. Even in Boulder, people wear helmets. GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE! Wear a damn helmet. This "personal choice shtick sounds good until it's your head that's being cracked by the concrete. Don't believe this whack! WEAR A HELMET!
I agree with her. We act like somehow riding your bike with a helmet is going to be the end all be all of promoting bike safety when that is not the case. The problem with acting like helmets are going to magically make people on bikes safe means we won't spend time on the stuff outside of helmets that increase safety (like safe infrastructure and everyone being more attentive on the road). Plenty of people wearing helmets on bikes still get killed. How do we solve that problem?

I haven't actually said anything one way or the other on my usage of helmets. But since I have nodded in agreement about how helmets can detract from the acceptance of cycling you have lumped me into the "whacks" and "urbanists sheep" category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Your claims aren't quite based in reality. She does provide trend stats on helmet usage and bike penetrations either in the book or her blog. It was pretty well cited.

She also admits to wearing a helmet most of the time on her own blog.
Bicycle helmets are hilarious (and why I wear one) | Taking the Lane

She advocates for personal choice on the helmet debate and not mandatory enforcement in order to increase the number of people getting on their bikes.
The easiest way to do this is to make it mandatory for anyone under 18 to have to wear a helmet when biking and anyone over 18 it is their personal choice. I grew up in a time when one didn't wear helmets to bike so I could see how someone my age would choose not to wear one, but if you are raised wearing a helmet when growing up, there is a much higher chance you will voluntarily wear one when you are an adult as well.

The way I see it, helmets while riding a bike is like wearing a seatbelt while driving. Both are things I do and both are important things to do to reduce injury and help prevent death.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Your claims about her being a helmet-hater

I agree with her. We act like somehow riding your bike with a helmet is going to be the end all be all of promoting bike safety when that is not the case. The problem with acting like helmets are going to magically make people on bikes safe means we won't spend time on the stuff outside of helmets that increase safety (like safe infrastructure and everyone being more attentive on the road). Plenty of people wearing helmets on bikes still get killed. How do we solve that problem?

I haven't actually said anything one way or the other on my usage of helmets. But since I have nodded in agreement about how helmets can detract from the acceptance of cycling you have lumped me into the "whacks" and "urbanists sheep" category.
I don't see why wearing a helmet can't simply be a part of bicycle safety. Obviously giving bikers safe and easy to use routes is a major priority, as well as increasing driver awareness of those around them on bikes are major factors when it comes to improving bicycle safety.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The easiest way to do this is to make it mandatory for anyone under 18 to have to wear a helmet when biking and anyone over 18 it is their personal choice. I grew up in a time when one didn't wear helmets to bike so I could see how someone my age would choose not to wear one, but if you are raised wearing a helmet when growing up, there is a much higher chance you will voluntarily wear one when you are an adult as well.

The way I see it, helmets while riding a bike is like wearing a seatbelt while driving. Both are things I do and both are important things to do to reduce injury and help prevent death.
And that is the case in most of the US. The under 18s are required to wear helmets, and adults can choose.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 PM

Helmet laws, a brief history:

The Helmet Debate - Momentum Mag

Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
And that is the case in most of the US. The under 18s are required to wear helmets, and adults can choose.
I actually didn't start wearing a helmet until I decided to build a singlespeed bike and get rid of my hybrid bike I rarely rode. I found that it is best to spend the money on a good helmet so it makes it something you always wear when biking. I will say it did give me a personal sense of safety when I would bike on the streets of Portland because I knew I had that small level of protection if I ever fell off my bike for any reason. Thankfully I have never had to test that level of safety.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Heck, I usually wear a helmet too, but that isn't the point. The point is the assumption of safety (or lack thereof) that people assume about bike riding, which does not match the actual level of risk. People are far more likely to be killed by a car than while riding a bike, whether or not they wear a helmet when cycling. Driving or riding in cars is an inherently risky behavior that people just accept, but riding a bike, an activity that is far less risky to others, is considered irresponsible and dangerous behavior that requires a helmet.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Heck, I usually wear a helmet too, but that isn't the point. The point is the assumption of safety (or lack thereof) that people assume about bike riding, which does not match the actual level of risk. People are far more likely to be killed by a car than while riding a bike, whether or not they wear a helmet when cycling. Driving or riding in cars is an inherently risky behavior that people just accept, but riding a bike, an activity that is far less risky to others, is considered irresponsible and dangerous behavior that requires a helmet.
Actually wearing a seat belt while driving reduces that risk of being killed in a car accident. The seat belt is the helmet for a car, not sure why one should also wear a helmet while driving, that sounds like it would be uncomfortable and could interfere with driving and having a good view of what's around you.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There are two factors risk and the number of time one does it. Biking isn't practical for most people to commute with and so they don't take the risk daily like they do with driving. I personally would not feel safe riding a bike on many streets. Too easy to get hit by a car/truck/bus or run into an opening car door.

In an alley, on an bike path or on less busy streets sure, but not most through streets.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
There are two factors risk and the number of time one does it. Biking isn't practical for most people to commute with and so they don't take the risk daily like they do with driving. I personally would not feel safe riding a bike on many streets. Too easy to get hit by a car/truck/bus or run into an opening car door.

In an alley, on an bike path or on less busy streets sure, but not most through streets.
That is because there is a lack of a bicycle infrastructure. With a real bicycle infrastructure in place and lots of people biking, it becomes more practical and much safer for people to commute by bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning