Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 50,775 times

Advertisements

Since I have decided to move to UT and visited I have been researching the state as much as I can and have spent a lot of time reading many different posts on different topics for Utah and Salt Lake City area.

I want to be as educated about the area as possible before I make my move. And I am planning another trip to visit in the winter before I move also. I want to know and see everything I can of UT (especially the SLC area) before I get my apartment there.

Maybe its just this paticular forum and the people on this paticular site but as I have read through many posts I have seen a lot of Utah bashing from UT residents. A lot of people are putting UT down for different reasons. I have to wonder, if so many UT residents dont like Utah then why do they live there? Why havent you moved somewhere else? Why would you stay in a place where you have such a problem?

Maybe a different forum might share some more positive views on the state. And I have seen some positive posts about UT on here too. But I have to say the UT bashing far out numbers the good posts I have read.

Im hearing there are no jobs. People are having a hard time finding or keeping work. The air is bad and the ground is too brown. The air is dangerous to breathe. The lakes are dirty and smell bad. Its too cold in the winter. Its too hot in the summer. There's is nothing to do compared to other places. Im hearing that non mormons have a huge problem with mormons and vise versa. Im hearing unless you are LDS you wont have any friends at all. I have heard the wages are way too low. I have heard that illegals are taking the jobs (which is a huge problem where I currently live in CA). And I have just seen a lot of bashing on each other and tearing each other apart and name calling on this forum.

Im glad that people are so opinionated and are open to sharing their views. Im glad to hear both pros and cons about the area. Im sure their are bad things about UT. But gosh I would love to hear the positive things about the area! Im having a hard time finding the pros (according the posts). Can any UT residents share some positive things about the area please? If you dont have anything positive you can tell me about the area, then hey, why do you still live there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 05:36 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
You won't find me bashing Utah!! I have lived here 16 years and I love it here!! Some people are here due to job transfers and can't leave (military comes to mind), some aren't able to leave for financial reasons. Some are just the type of people that will never be happy, no matter where they live.

I love living here because of the family atmosphere. I love the beauty of the mountains. I love having very little humidity. It makes for a cooler heat in the summer and a warmer cold in the winter . I love the sunsets and the skyline. I love that you can drive for just a short while and your climate and scenery changes. In no time flat, you can be enjoying the red rock down south, or relaxing in your mountain cabin! I love that property taxes are low. I love that even though Utah has the lowest spending per pupil in the schools, they also carry one of the highest graduation rates in the country! I love that rush hour in Salt Lake no where near compares to rush hour in many other major cities.

There are many more reasons to love Utah...come on everyone. Help me out here!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
I love that, generally speaking, Utah cities are pretty clean. You don't find trash littering the streets in the downdown areas.

I love that the people are friendly and outgoing.

I love the diversity of the natural beauty of the state.

I love the enormous variety of cultural events throughout the state, but especially in Salt Lake City.

I love that there are a lot of transplants to the state are like kaytidid!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
I think it is the nature of the internet that brings out the miserable and opinionated, some of these people would be complaining in heaven.

I would say the majority of the people I know here used to live in Utah and only one of them complains, the rest love it here. Some of the complainers don't like it here due to political reasons, they may come from the left and they don't like how conservative most people are. As I have read here, the conservative LDS built the culture and lifestyle here so why come here and try and change what made it so nice.

You have to look at a forum like this like you would product reviews, most people only speak up when they have something to complain about. there are some like myself who love to share information about what I like. Most people love it yet few will post, many are afraid of what the bashers will do to them.

I think if you really add it up there are only a few people who don't like it on here, most have said positive things.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 AM

427 posts, read 1,305,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Bound View Post
The air is bad and the ground is too brown. The air is dangerous to breathe. The lakes are dirty and smell bad. Its too cold in the winter. Its too hot in the summer.
Actually, yes to these.

I'm only sort of joking.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 50,775 times
Well thank you for listing some things you love! Its true that people will go out of their way to complain but not as often will they list the good in things. But the UT residents have the advantage of seeing UT everyday, the good and the bad. I can only go off my weekend trips and what I read and study. I am excited about moving there. I think I will fit in although Im not LDS. I dont think badly of any religion and I dont judge anyone for having a different belief than me. But Im conservative and hard working. I love nature and being outside. I will be trading in beaches for mountain views and snowy winters. Its going to be a big change for me. Im excited for taking my next trip to see it in the winter time. Im looking at apartments right now. What is the difference between Sandy/Murray/Midvale/South Jordan areas? Are they all the same? Or are some more upkept and expensive and safer and some more affordable? And I love to hear anything positive that the UT residents enjoy. Thank you thank you!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I've never lived anywhere else so I don't have a basis for comparision. But within the state, there are differences that I have voiced my opinion on.

Even though there might be things I wish could be different or things I don't care for, there are enough positives to keep me here.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post

Even though there might be things I wish could be different or things I don't care for, there are enough positives to keep me here.
Of course there are things that you don't like or wish could be different, because no place or person is perfect.

I totally agree. There are things that I wish I could change, albeit, not many. I love living here and moving here was the best thing we have ever done!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,770 times
Some of the negative comments may be posted in hopes that other will not move here......we want to keep it all to ourselves!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Since I have decided to move to UT and visited I have been researching the state as much as I can and have spent a lot of time reading many different posts on different topics for Utah and Salt Lake City area.

I want to be as educated about the area as possible before I make my move. And I am planning another trip to visit in the winter before I move also. I want to know and see everything I can of UT (especially the SLC area) before I get my apartment there.

Maybe its just this paticular forum and the people on this paticular site but as I have read through many posts I have seen a lot of Utah bashing from UT residents. A lot of people are putting UT down for different reasons. I have to wonder, if so many UT residents dont like Utah then why do they live there? Why havent you moved somewhere else? Why would you stay in a place where you have such a problem?

Maybe a different forum might share some more positive views on the state. And I have seen some positive posts about UT on here too. But I have to say the UT bashing far out numbers the good posts I have read.

Im hearing there are no jobs. People are having a hard time finding or keeping work. The air is bad and the ground is too brown. The air is dangerous to breathe. The lakes are dirty and smell bad. Its too cold in the winter. Its too hot in the summer. There's is nothing to do compared to other places. Im hearing that non mormons have a huge problem with mormons and vise versa. Im hearing unless you are LDS you wont have any friends at all. I have heard the wages are way too low. I have heard that illegals are taking the jobs (which is a huge problem where I currently live in CA). And I have just seen a lot of bashing on each other and tearing each other apart and name calling on this forum.

Im glad that people are so opinionated and are open to sharing their views. Im glad to hear both pros and cons about the area. Im sure their are bad things about UT. But gosh I would love to hear the positive things about the area! Im having a hard time finding the pros (according the posts). Can any UT residents share some positive things about the area please? If you dont have anything positive you can tell me about the area, then hey, why do you still live there??

Utah is a great place to live and I should know. I've been most of the 50 years I've lived. We have:

1. Some of the best skiing on this planet;
2. Five beautiful national parks;
3. Great camping, hiking and boating;
4. Four distinct seasons (autumn with its changing leaves is my favorite);
5. Better health and fitness levels than all but a few other states;
6. High quality healthcare;
7. Low violent crime rates;
8. A state government that has been well managed fiscally.
9. Schools that do well for students on a limited budget;
10. Sports and cultural opportunities that exceed those for most states.

Just a few comments about what you have said:

1. Air pollution is a serious problem, but its primarily during the winter.
2. There is some friction between LDS and non-LDS people, but its not horrible. Most of us who live in or near Salt Lake get along very well.
3. Our employment situation is decent (not great) compared to what is going on in the rest of the USA. Wages ARE low here.
4. Our hot/cold weather patterns are typical of any inland state.
5. People who come here with realistic expectations and a positive attitude usually fare well. The big problem is with those who don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah