Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 PM

95 posts, read 475,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
Casselli's is that all you have to contribute to St. George? Seems in past posts you have stated many times that is Californian's and their money that have forced St. George to upgrade it's look. What a crock. New places get built to the vision of some architect not becasue some Californian forced them with the influx of their money. Yep the outlet mall just did a big rejuvenation project. Guess what the facade was crumbling and they redid it. It would have happened whether Californians moved in or not. Bragging that a group, (IE Californians) brought money and forced change is absurd. The locals around here before the mass influx the past few years, didn't care if the outlet mall had a new facade. You will find that those who previous were here to the influx could care less that people came in and then wanted it to change. Like you said Utah is what it is. It is also not welcoming to people who come with attitudes that where they came from was so much better and we will force this place to change into the place we left. If the place you left was so wonderful why did you leave and move to Utah? Valid question. As you say it was for a better way of life. That leads a person to assume that where you left was not so good a place to be. If that is the case, why all the work at changing this place into what you left that was not so good?

Many people moved to the St. George Utah area to play the flip game. Others moved here thinking it so wonderful due to a magazine article. Yet those that moved here forgot a cardinal rule of moving and relocating. Research out the area first. Is the prevailing culture something you want to be around? Does the place have the ammenities you want? Are there jobs to support you in the new area? If you don't do the homework, then stop complaining. A school program in music in this state will not be the same as a music program in Los Angeles connected with a large philormonic orchestra. Night life here is a movie and dinner. Jobs suck pay wise. Infrasturcture is lacking. Scenery is great. Outdoor activies are plentiful. People are friendly but not if you want them to be forced to do what they culturally won't do. That goes for the long term non mormom locals as well.

I hear lots of good things about the Seattle area, much like they use to write about So. Utah. Would I just move there without visiting and researching out what it is like? NO!!!!!! First I hate humidity. Would I overlook that to race and get in before it is priced out of the market? NO!!!! Would I go there expecting it to become conservative because I am? NO!!!! it is what it is.

I suggest that the OP previous posts be read to see the ax being ground about this state. There it can be verified in those posts the assertions she has made, and changed from one post to the next. Yes this is commenting back to her post where she riles against me. It is being pointed out the inconsistency she has, and also the hatred she has for mormons. She is one of the people who wants to start or has started a NON mormon social group. Yet she claims she is not discriminatory. So when the it comes down to it, this thread seems to start out as an inocquious question. What it hides is a chance for those who are upset that this place is not CALIFORNIA to vent. As they say, get over it and grow up.
Blondie-Rabbit:

You say you've been all over the WORLD and lived all over the COUNTRY....why didn't you just stay at the first place you moved to? I know you are special, right?

Your assumptions are ignorant. You can play this little game by yourself. As you can see there are a lot of us transplants not only from California who thought this would be a nice place to live but we found out that it's not what it seems to be.

This is USA and we have the freedom right to live anywhere we (I) feel like. I've given enough my money to the community and to this State. I find it so uncanny that in 2004 when I moved here it was a sleepy little town and now, you've got starbucks, new developments, well know chain restaurants, state of the art hospital with only LDS/Mormons and white employees working there. Hispanics are hired at DRMC in housekeeping or cooks. There are NO non-white doctors, besides maybe one black radiologist. Yet, at ER there was a great need for a spanish interpreter, but no can do...so guess who interepreted for free? Me!

Thank goodness I was there since they were paging like crazy and couldn't find anyone at that hour of the night! How ridiculous is that? You have NO idea how terrible people of color and other race get discrimated here! Obviously, you have NO understanding of what I'm talking about so no need to discuss this further.

Since 2004 the cost of living here has increased so much and the wages are worse then ever, compared to what I was making here in 2004. I am not the only one complaning of the low wages (here) and the high cost of living, discrimation, bad customer service and the way SOME, well MOST, of the MORMONS treat thy neighbors. You are the example of how Mormons treat others...you are disrespectful. I noticed that you get away with saying what ever you wish to say in this forum, yet when I respond to your negative accusations, it gets deleted "personal attack"??? Like you don't attack? Something is very wrong here!

Like I said, I have helped the community in many ways and you have no idea as to how much money I have given to the community, shelters, hospice and even the hospital. Is this not enough for you?

Last edited by The Casselli's; 01-31-2008 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
Casselli's is that all you have to contribute to St. George? Seems in past posts you have stated many times that is Californian's and their money that have forced St. George to upgrade it's look. What a crock.
New places get built to the vision of some architect not becasue some Californian forced them with the influx of their money.

Like you said Utah is what it is.
It is also not welcoming to people who come with attitudes that where they came from was so much better and we will force this place to change into the place we left. If the place you left was so wonderful why did you leave and move to Utah? Valid question.

People are friendly but not if you want them to be forced to do what they culturally won't do. That goes for the long term non mormom locals as well.
I live in Idaho, Eagle for 5 yrs and I have to say that the influx of Cali money built it to be what it is now!
There were not architects going out on a limb to built and build and build without an influx of money.

Californian forced them with the influx of their money.
Please! Nobody forced but they have it to spend and that is recognized by the builders, lenders and so on!

It is also not welcoming to people who come with attitudes that where they came from was so much better
It is not welcoming to anyone who will not become mormon! Because there are mormons who miss where they came from but because they are mormon it is ok!
If the place you left was so wonderful why did you leave and move to Utah? Valid question.
How many mormons do you ask that question to? Or do you have sympathy for them because they miss what was familiar?

People are friendly but not if you want them to be forced to do what they culturally won't do.
This is my fav: Because that is how non-mormons feel when they are treated different or bombarded with mormon this and mormon that you need to come to our church and so on. It is not culturally right for them to be mormon!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:37 AM

281 posts, read 1,185,335 times
It really blows my mind how some people think the money coming into the state from California is a bad thing. How far does the rational go with some folks to complain about "outsiders" and other infidels when they don't even want the money brought in to the states economy? From what I've seen this state and it's inhabitants can use all the money they can get. But maybe the "comfort zone" of $10/hr "careers" and minimal public services, e.g. $14/hr wage for police is just dandy. But if your bombarded with how the evil and immoral it is outside the state you'd never leave to see how the rest of the country lives.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Default to the Caselli's

and any other relocators who do not like Utah...

After I graduated HS, my family relocated to a southern state, small town. I am from LI, BTW.

My parents and siblings (who were elementary-aged) had no problems. I however...geesh, it was just awful. I was treated horribly. The people were EXTREMELY rude to me, like on a daily basis. And though I had jobs since turning 16 years old, I could not find a job. During the 3 years I lived there I was (finally) hired by a pennsylvanian, an east Indian, and a fellow NYer.

When I occassionally look at threads on that states board, I see poster after poster saying "it's great here, people are welcoming, ect", I roll my eyes. Occassionally someone voices an opinion as mine and is told "you must have an entitled yankee attitude".

So, what I'm trying to say, is I DO relate to your experience. I do believe (of course!) that not everyone who relocates here is going to find a good fit. So when I have positives to share, it isn't meant to prove you wrong.

I LOVE Utah. My experience has been fabulous. I love the people, I love the scenery, I love the life style. I am not LDS, BTW. I am also not blonde I have so many good things to say, and, most of our visitors have also loved it here. My brother wants to move here. I love to tell people about this gem we found.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
This post also echos nearly everything I've written too. I was released from a work assignment earlier this week and am convinced it might have had something to do with my marital status. About a week in to the job a male supervisor asked me if I was married. (I am not) Soon after I was told in a one on one to look elsewhere. The office was heavily LDS though there did seem to be some diversity. I have not had a good job the whole time I've lived here. eBay was my best bet, I should have stayed there. But the money was crap, just like every other job I've had here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kritterz78 View Post
I moved here in Sept. I am originally from CA but have also lived in MA. I hate it here!!! I have been through almost half of the US and have never been in such a judgemental place!......I did in MA and make nothing out here! If you are female and looking for a corporate position....good luck! It's a man's world here in UT. I really don't care what someone's faith or belief is, I just can't stand people who are judgemental and hypocritical and that is all I have found here in UT...... I known what the people here were like, I would not have come here!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:04 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,335 times
catrinac, just for my own sanity I've read up on the LSD faith on their own websites. It came to a point out here when I had to know the rational for some of the things I hear and see. I don't know the reason for your former employers asking your marital status, but I would suspect that it might have something to do with the fact that in the LDS faith you have to be married to get into "heaven" when you die.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:13 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Yep! Since I wasn't married, I couldn't fit in with the established vibe in their office.... since they are all going to heaven and I am not. (kidding!!) Actually, the Mormons are especially anti-female. The supervisor who inquired about my marital status was nonmarried himself, which is not a problem from the Mormon point of view because they view men as being naturally exalted, if I remember my research correctly. Their view is a lot like Islam actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorick View Post
catrinac, just for my own sanity I've read up on the LSD faith on their own websites. It came to a point out here when I had to know the rational for some of the things I hear and see. I don't know the reason for your former employers asking your marital status, but I would suspect that it might have something to do with the fact that in the LDS faith you have to be married to get into "heaven" when you die.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times
This has turned into a gripe session about Mormon doctrines and will now be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: