Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,690 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for some advise as I am considering moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Utah later on in the year. I am 26 and have a daughter who is 5. I am moving over with my partner who has stayed in Scotland for a year but feels its time to go home. I have agreed to come with him, but its a very big move, especially as I have a young child. I am a catholic and wonder if my daughter and I will be accepted. Any thoughts and advise you have on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:00 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,271 times
Well, your Scottish accent will be well-recieved, lol. American seem to have a fascination with accents (myself included).

As has been stated in many other threads (I recommend you read past threads for more insight), there are different opinions on this subject, but the upshot seems to be, if you pick a diverse area (in SLC for example), you will feel less isolated by religion. However, no matter where you move, it's really the luck of the draw. Hopefully you'll have nice friendly neighbors who couldn't care less what religion you are.

There's a very pretty cathedral in SLC, by the way. Check it out when you get here. And welcome!

Old 01-17-2007, 02:04 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,861 times
It's been really cold here lately, so I suggest an investment in underwear.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,690 times
Thankyou for your reply. I am having a look throught he other threads just now it is very helpful

Old 01-17-2007, 04:14 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,271 times
ROFL Elder Shawn! I assume you meant long underwear? Or thermal underwear? Because your post recommending an investment in underwear...hehe. Sounds a little Britney-ish.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:34 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
ROFL Elder Shawn! I assume you meant long underwear? Or thermal underwear? Because your post recommending an investment in underwear...hehe. Sounds a little Britney-ish.
Haha yeah...uhhh yeah I meant long underwear! I'm a purely innocent man I say!

Old 01-19-2007, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 37,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1 View Post
Hello,

I am looking for some advise as I am considering moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Utah later on in the year. I am 26 and have a daughter who is 5. I am moving over with my partner who has stayed in Scotland for a year but feels its time to go home. I have agreed to come with him, but its a very big move, especially as I have a young child. I am a catholic and wonder if my daughter and I will be accepted. Any thoughts and advise you have on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Where in Utah are you thinking of moving to?

Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1 View Post
Hello,

Hey there!
Having just moved back to scotland from Utah after spending 5 years there I might be able to offer some advice from a fellow scottish person!. First of all, the weather wont be at all bad compared to Scotland! I would say we have a good tolerence to it being born in the not so sunny land

One thing that I would say is really do your research and look into is the area that you staying, as there is some places that I couldnt recommend for a young family, and moving from scotland will probably be a huge change for you and your child, even more so from Glasgow ( I hope you dont like your nightlife!)
Levels of education there are different from most Schools in Scotland and England, so it might be worth checking into that too if you plan to enrol your child here.
One thing that I couldnt get my head around was the gun laws, its strange to hear guns getting fired at night when in the city, But I guess its the same all over america! being from Scotland I found it a bit unsettling at times.

On a serious note though, I have heard a few bad storys about people coming here with young Children, especially young girls to settle down. Even though its not as common as it once was, polygamy and other nasty stuff is still present in utah my good friend and her husband moved back home after an incident with one of the locals (attempted kidnap and rape of their nine year old daughter by some religious nut!) that the police refused to follow up on so I guess thats something to consider too. Unfortunatly I heard of quite a few other stories like that during my stay, So my advice is to make sure the area is good and people you will be staying with are genuine and trustworthy! Even more so with a child joining you guys. other than that you should enjoy your stay. How long are you planning to be in Utah?
If its for and extended period then research as much as possible, and if you have never visited take a vacation near to where you will be moving to scope the place out! Good luck with it all.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:10 AM

10 posts, read 27,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotAnderson View Post
Hey there!
Having just moved back to scotland from Utah after spending 5 years there I might be able to offer some advice from a fellow scottish person!. First of all, the weather wont be at all bad compared to Scotland! I would say we have a good tolerence to it being born in the not so sunny land
Hi there, I have just visited friends in Utah and we stayed for 3 weeks. I totally agree with Scot.... you should handle the cold there very well as i didn't need any of the jumpers i was told to bring. lol It gets colder in the early hours but you are snug as a bug at that time. It was colder when it snowed but that was if you were out in it.

You'll have to get used to trains honking their horns all night and maybe the jets that fly over until midnight.We got used to it easily and my 2 young boys never really noticed.

If you move to a valley (which is where we stayed) you will have the inversions which are pretty hard on your throat and chest. The air is dry but you soon get used to it.
I found the people to friendly and very helpful when we went out to the shops. HTH

Old 03-05-2007, 08:03 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotAnderson View Post
my good friend and her husband moved back home after an incident with one of the locals (attempted kidnap and rape of their nine year old daughter by some religious nut!) that the police refused to follow up on so I guess thats something to consider too.
This could be a slippery slope that I don't want to degenerate, but do you care to expound on this experience? Sounds pretty ominous. Who was the said "religious nut," and how did this family know the attempted kidnapper, and how did his religious affiliation lead to the attempted crime?

With the Amber alert system and the seriousness with which I have seen the authorities react to even vague threats, I find that hard to believe they would have done nothing. Something more has to be going on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah