Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 AM

628 posts, read 2,070,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Have to add though, i have to wonder how Ellen can endorse Cover Girl cosmetics, when they are owned by Procter & Gamble?
I still like he but....see this link. Ellen DeGeneres Fights Animal Cruelty But Plugs CoverGirl? « ecorazzi.com :: the latest in green gossip
She might still be under contract with Cover Girl. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
She might still be under contract with Cover Girl. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt.
I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt -- up to a point, because I do think it's a valid question. (Especially so when one is a celebrity and using that status to promote an ideology of any kind.)

Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Have to add though, i have to wonder how Ellen can endorse Cover Girl cosmetics, when they are owned by Procter & Gamble?
I still like he but....see this link. Ellen DeGeneres Fights Animal Cruelty But Plugs CoverGirl? « ecorazzi.com :: the latest in green gossip

i have been wondering about this too for some time and have been meaning to write her... i don't understand why she advertises cover girl.

thanks for the link. never saw that before.

she does do a lot of good imo, and educational things about animals and our planet as well.

I "thank her" for what she has done.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Don't you think money is an issue w/the covergirl deal?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Factory farms need to be banned. Its a waste. The workers are treated like crap, the animals are treated like crap and the product (meat) tastes like crap. And people can argue for cheap meat..But look around..do we REALLY need to make it easier/cheaper to eat? I don't think so.
Meat is very high calorie.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
pitt transplant I SO AGREE WITH YOU!!!

How can we as a society condone this kind of horror?
The people who work there have a high rate of suicide and a high turnover rate.
Who could work there" A sadist?
I know so many carnivores who will not watch a video of a slaughter house - much less work there.

As far as Ellen is concerned I still like and have respect for her but the message is murky and mixed -at best!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Not to mention the ethical farmers and families that have been farming for generations that they run out of business!

She probably signed a multi-year contract with CG. If she wants out of it, its going to cost her. Who knows what they put in the contract for that. Not very much make-up is vegan either.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:04 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Maybe she will get after Cover Girl to stop testing on animals if that's what they do. Mineral make up is vegan. A lot of stuff contains whale oils. If these hot shot chemists are worth a kit, they should know what's relatively safe to use. And we don't need 10 million types of this or that. I tint my lips with raw beets.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:45 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Factory farms need to be banned. Its a waste. The workers are treated like crap, the animals are treated like crap and the product (meat) tastes like crap. And people can argue for cheap meat..But look around..do we REALLY need to make it easier/cheaper to eat? I don't think so.
Pretty bold statements you make there, chief.

Where do you get this info? Do you know someone who owns/works at a "factory farm"? Have you been to one? How many f.farm employees have you talked to?

Just wonder'n.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:21 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Where do you get this info? Do you know someone who owns/works at a "factory farm"? Have you been to one? How many f.farm employees have you talked to?
I'm confused. Are you suggesting that if one has never been to a factory farm, or talked to someone who works at one, then one can't know what they're like?

I've never been to prison, but I have a pretty good idea of the conditions there, based on information freely available. I wasn't a soldier on the Western Front in WWI, but I have a pretty good idea of how horrible trench warfare was, again based on information freely available. Likewise, I've never been to a factory farm, but have a pretty idea of how they're operated, based on information freely available.

We all know that farm life in your little corner of Kansas is kind and gentle, "Capt." You've told us that repeatedly. While it's understandable that you feel compelled to defend your profession, you provide no proof that every other farm situation is so charmingly idyllic. Please do so, as that would make your defense much more believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food