Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times

Advertisements

Not to play the devil's advocate here...but I sometimes get in a situation like this myself.

I eat a 99.99999% vegetarian diet. However, every NOW and THEN, perhaps twice a year or so, I will have fish or chicken. I really do enjoy great seafood, but I'm extremely picky about it, and therefore I save my indulgences for when I have the high-quality stuff. Chicken I will eat if there's nothing else at times, however I don't like it much and it usually gives me indigestion. I can't tolerate beef or pork.

Anyhow, it seems that I have to be very careful about calling myself a vegetarian due to the fact that it seems everyone wants to *catch* you eating meat. I had a family member one time, when I was eating fish, seem to LOVE to point out how "I guess you're not much of vegetarian, are you??!" Ugh.

Anyhow, now I just tell people that I eat a "almost exclusively vegetarian diet." Ha.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:23 AM

127 posts, read 364,778 times
Well yeah, if you ever intentionally eat meat, you're not vegetarian.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
People that I know that like to talk about what they eat, why they eat it or don't and judge others while doing it always make me laugh.

My favorite is, "I don't care what I eat. It's all about nutrition and eating to live, not living to eat"... this is usually followed by a few chocolate chip cookies or a couple honey sticks in their tea....

A second favorite is someone claiming to be a vegatarian, but then uses Miracle Whip on their whole grain, sprout & tomato sandwich.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
...I would like you to tell me why people get so stressed out and upset when people eat vegan or non meat...or even eat healthy...
Here's why I think people act that way:

All species are connected and share the Life Force, or Spirit, or Universal Soul.
To kill or harm another creature for self gratification of any kind, even for basic survival is understood at a level that is much deeper than the rational mind to be contrary to the Universal Spiritual Law.

As far as just eating healthy, since the Body is the Container, some would say the Temple, of the soul, to mistreat it by unhealthy practices is also understood as "sinful".

The degree to which this is understood depends upon many factors including, but not limited to, the "spiritual age" or level of spiritual understand of the individual, which may or may not be part of the person's rational awareness.

But since it comes from a deeper level, even though the person has no knowledge of it, violation of this Universal Spiritual Truth manifests in various ways, usually as defensive emotional responses.

Or it could be that these people are just stupid, judgemental jerks.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM

127 posts, read 364,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

A second favorite is someone claiming to be a vegatarian, but then uses Miracle Whip on their whole grain, sprout & tomato sandwich.
What in miracle whip isn't vegetarian?

Old 11-25-2009, 12:13 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendmorecops View Post
What in miracle whip isn't vegetarian?
Eggs?

Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Eggs?

Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Miracle Whip Ingredients:
Water, soybean oil, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, modified food starch, eggs, salt, mustard flour, artificial color, potassium sorbate as a preservative, paprika, spice, natural flavor, dried garlic.

It's vegetarian, but not vegan.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:47 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Here's why I think people act that way:

All species are connected and share the Life Force, or Spirit, or Universal Soul.
To kill or harm another creature for self gratification of any kind, even for basic survival is understood at a level that is much deeper than the rational mind to be contrary to the Universal Spiritual Law.

Or it could be that these people are just stupid, judgemental jerks.
Both, maybe? The OP seemed uninterested in "helping" someone understand what they were doing, but very interested ridiculing them. You know, those "holy than thou" vegetarians...they must be exposed!

I've really never encountered in a face-to-face contact the animosity that's sometimes expressed on this forum towards vegetarians. In my life, it's been an non-issue, lots of stupid jokes, but there's been no one who was disrespectful or openly antagonistic.

So yeah, FF, I'm going with 'it's both' ~~~

Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My favorite is, "I don't care what I eat. It's all about nutrition and eating to live, not living to eat"... this is usually followed by a few chocolate chip cookies or a couple honey sticks in their tea....
I sooo understand...I live to eat Uncle Eddie's Vegan Trail Mix Cookies...lordy, they are good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food